What's The Most Underrated Amp Ever?!?!

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Alex Pearson, Mar 10, 2016.

1. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Dumble.

All I hear is how over hyped they are, but when I plug in it sure sounds great.

2. Freethenoise

Freethenoise Tele-Holic

The Fender Machete, in my opinion.

I can't remember browsing a forum where this beast didn't cop flack for either looking like a Mesa clone or not looking like a Blackface.

I know a couple of us on this forum still have one, and mine's not going anywhere any time soon.

3. kimbos123

kimbos123 TDPRI Member

4. kimbos123

kimbos123 TDPRI Member

5. kimbos123

kimbos123 TDPRI Member

That would be the Vox Cambridge (or Berkeley)- says solid state on the front but it is all tube (they just had some solid state logos apparently) made by Thomas Organ in 66 or so but based on JMI Vox designs. Clear and chimey, perfect reverb and tremolo. loud enough with a Vox Bulldog celestion, nice grind when up. Keep your eyes out for these as the solid state logo might fool someone but this one has 8 tubes with tube rectifier etc

6. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Old Alamos.

dankilling likes this.
  7. Coach56

Coach56 One of the Boys

Kustom 200 Series - It's got the Swamp built into it.

You used to be able to get them cheap.

8. ozcal

ozcal Tele-Holic

h&h ic 100... solid state magic...

i sell the ac15 before i sold the old thumper..

[​IMG]

Tony474 likes this.
  9. fugazi39

fugazi39 Tele-Meister

The original Vox Valvetronix AV60 with the cloth checkered grille. I still regret selling that. Just awesome.

10. Tele wacker

Tele wacker Tele-Holic

Any small, cheap, 60's tube amp.

11. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Afflicted

60's era Univox combos. These were marketed as a budget all-tube amp for those who couldn't afford a Fender or such. I've got about 7 various models and they simply kick ass.
    They came stock with RCA power tubes, Mullard pre's and Jensen speakers. I have one of the U1000 heads which was sort of a Fender Twin design. It still has its original blackplate 6l6's and Mullard 12ax7's.
    I also have a 68 U80 2-10 that was just serviced at Fargen Amps. Benjamin told me that after he got done servicing it (caps,etc..) it blew away any normal AC10-15 he'd ever heard.
    So yeah I'd say they're underrated .

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
    dankilling likes this.
  12. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I had a Marshall "Artist" head, slightly smaller than a normal head. It had a solid state preamp and a tube power section. That thing sounded MEAN.

13. pete-strych

pete-strych Tele-Holic

In the 90's, I had a Laney Linebacker 100 Watt head & a Linebacker 50 Watt head that I ran 2 full stacks in stereo for some extreme metal sonic glory. It was absolutely Monster!! I'm a tube only guy now, but I wish I still had one of these MOSFET amps today just to mess with again. I was gigging 4-5 nights a week on avg. in those days, & never had issues other than a scratchy pot or blown fuse.

14. DannyStereo

DannyStereo Poster Extraordinaire

Fender Blues Junior. There, I said it.

Lunchie likes this.
  15. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

My clip on Blackstar?

Nah, just kidding. It rocks.

[​IMG]

Tony474 likes this.
  16. Phelonious Ponk

Phelonious Ponk Tele-Afflicted

I'll second the Carvin tube amps. I think Carvin products, in general, are underrated. They make very high quality stuff at reasonable prices, and while I don't care for the drive tone of their vintage series amps, well, I don't care for high-gain channels much, period. When it comes to tubes, give me a blackface sound and let the pedals do the work.

But the most underrated amps, IMO, are Fender's Mustangs. I have two Mustang 3s. A V1 and a V2. They give better crunch at bedroom volume than any tube amp I've ever heard, even the stuff that switches down to extremely low wattage. And on stage, they give up a huge, fat, clean tone at full band volume that I've previously only been able to get from Twins and Supers. Then they'll turn around and deliver great crunch at exactly the same volume. And you don't have to carry a Twin or a Super. <35 lbs., and you can carry a very reasonable facsimile of a Twin, a Deluxe, and a cranked tweed Bassman on stage with you, in one hand.

p

17. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

Peavey tube amps, in the UK.
    Laneys. Everywhere.
    Peavey and Roland SS amps are ubiquitous- and taken for granted.

18. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

I agree. GC's around me don't carry the Princeton, let alone a Morpheus, but they always have a Blues Jr or two sitting around. If I'm serious about test driving a guitar, I'll plug into it. I have always been really impressed by them. If I needed a budget friendly, easily replaceable Fender Amp, Blues Jr all the way.

DannyStereo likes this.
  19. DannyStereo

DannyStereo Poster Extraordinaire

Plus, for a pedal guy like me, you can't get a better platform for that low of dough.

Lightweight, and the master volume works well.

20. Stingfan73

Stingfan73 Tele-Afflicted

Most underrated:
    Fender Jazz King. 140 Kicking Watts (solid state) with 1*15 speaker. It's like a Twin Reverb, but lighter and smaller, but same idea- stays CLEAN all the way up, or at least at sane volumes. It's a GREAT-sounding amp, and it's great for Jazz, Country, whatever requires a clean platform. Lots of headroom. Extra bonus points for a very useable and good sounding built in XLR DI with ground lift, volume control, etc... as well as four casters with sockets already installed for extra portability. Great pedal amp.

Still very underrated even if everyone knows about it:
    Fender Deluxe Reverb

It has a tonal magic that you'll never be able to sort out in a music store. You have to own one, gig with one, and then you'll know... that it can't be overrated, and therefore must be underrated.

Underrated even though some know about it:
    Fender Ultra Chorus. Two separate (but not combinable) 65 Watt solid state amps, which is a real design flaw of a clean channel and an overdrive channel, but not being able to combine the outputs of both to make a truly 130 Watt 2*12 amp. But, a great-sounding amp with true stereo chorus, and in some ways I prefer it to a JC-120, tonally. Not the most capable amp in terms of headroom, but tone, tone, tone... Also has casters, and basically the size and weight of a Deluxe Reverb. I've played a couple Ultra Choruses that seemed like tonal and volume duds. Mine does not seem to be.

PS: If anyone knows how to SAFELY combine two separate 65 Watt amplifiers inside one amp (Ultra Chorus), and make one 130 Watt amp, I'm open to suggestions from people that have already SAFELY done such things. Thanks!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.