1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What's the most OVERRATED amp ever?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by zook, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Well according to lots of people on the Internet, they sound super similar. So how's a guy to tell?

2. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's

Image ice tea spewing out my nose all over my keyboard! :lol:

3. dtulsa

dtulsa TDPRI Member

Speaking for myself only I'd have to say the Lab L5 was the worst tone was bad no matter what the onboard compressor didn't do much either that being said Ray Flack used them behind Ricky Scaggs early recordings to good effect definitely not the advertised wattage rating of 100

4. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

aka the bb king amp

5. Telenut62

Telenut62 Poster Extraordinaire

You've obviously never looked inside one, if they are copied....they usually sound better. ;)

6. surfoverb

"Many times Dumble amplifiers, to my ears, can be underwhelming given the value and the folklore surrounding them."
    -Joe Bonamassa

7. Jakedog

I looked inside my '77 JMP. Looked inside all three of my 3203 heads (always gotta clip C13 on those to get the best out of them) and I've been inside both of my 900s. Come to think of it, I don't remember what, but I was in my 800 for something as well... Just looks like amp guts to me. Nice and neat.

Well built. Chassis mounted sockets and such. Pots and jacks on mini boards with leads flown to the main boards. I replaced a master volume pot on my first 900. Took more time to get the chassis in and out than it did to do the work. That was literally about a 60 second job. Ok by me.

I have no idea how many hundreds of gig I've used them on, but I've never had a breakdown. The loop crapped out on my 800 once, but I jammed jumper cable from the send to return jack and finished the gig. All three of the Artists I've owned, and both of the 900s have proven pretty indestructible. I don't know anyone who's ever had issue with one.

The TSLs were admittedly a reliability nightmare. The 800 series 2205 and 2210 had the notorious channel bleed issues. But they're the only ones I'm aware of that caused anybody any problems. Outside of a few oddball models over the years, they're just super great sounding, reliable amps.

Some people can't get them to sound good or figure out how to use hen properly. That's not on the amp.

8. Telenut62

Telenut62 Poster Extraordinaire

Ah yes the good old days, not any more....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Serenity23

Serenity23 Tele-Holic

Amen to that! Love my Marshalls. The only problem i've had was the rattle issue on my early Class 5. All of my big Marshalls have been bomb proof.

10. BareBones

BareBones Tele-Meister

Perhaps
    A better query
    Is
    An amp no one can make sound good
    That would be difficult knowing Frank Zappa recorded much on a Pignose

11. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Well, before saying this, he did point to another Dumble (which are voiced to different customers) - so , a bit of context:

"Now you are thinking, isn’t this column about a Dumble? Well, while all the Twin testing was going on, I spot this little brown Dumble Overdrive Special serial #014 in the corner of this large room full of gear. I ask Steven about it and he says, “If you’re interested in buying it, I’d sell it to you as I don’t use it much anymore.” I could not plug in a guitar fast enough. Instantly I notice a big difference between this amp and my two Dumble Overdrive Specials. This amp is more compressed and roars with a harmonic complexity that I have never heard from one of Alexander/Howard’s amps. (Note: I have never met Howard/Alexander and I am not sure what he prefers to be called these days, so I am covering all the bases.) It is one of the finest amps I have ever played and just loves a PAF-style pickup. I finally understood the Dumble craze with this amp. Many times Dumble amplifiers, to my ears, can be underwhelming given the value and the folklore surrounding them."

12. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

LOL nice to see the full context of the quote, and not a snippet which completely changes the tone of the comment (no pun intended, there)

Joe has been liking his Jubilee a lot it seems. IMO, that is becoming or has been an overrated amp, but I also think it's because they're not too common, so there's that mystique, to some players. I dont really see what's so great about having a built in solid state OD/Distortion pedal in a tube amp but a lot of players seem to drool about getting a Jubilee.

13. Jakedog

Until somebody makes a drive channel that sounds as good as a great pedal, without using that technology (it's never been done yet, to my knowledge) people are gonna like it. I'd love to have a jubilee.

14. JD0x0

I'm going to have to go in the complete opposite direction as you. I've yet to hear a 'great pedal' that touches the overdrive of a well designed preamp overdrive. All my 'boutique' overdrives and distortions fall short when I A/B them against the amp drive that I prefer. Sure the pedals sound great on their own, pushing the amp, but when I hear the two next to each other, there's no comparison, the pedals fall short in more than one department. Pedals have their advantages, but the best pedals, to me, dont sound better than the best amp drives. Not every amp drive is going to sound better than every pedal, and there's quite a lot of amps that sound like garbage, when overdriven, and then there's the fact that your (preamp)tube selection will have a significant effect on the amp's tone. Some preamp tubes in combination with certain circuits seem to create very 'fizzy' OD for example. While other circuit/tube combinations can create the most pleasant tones I've ever heard.

I dont think the Jubilee sounds all that great, personally. Not bad, but it also doesn't get me that excited, and doesn't really seem to have anything that unique going on.

15. TheletterJ

TheletterJ Tele-Afflicted

The old Amp dirt vs. Pedal dirt argument surfaces yet again.

After having spent lots of money and time tinkering with both I've come to the conclusion that, to ME, channel switching amps are overrated.

I really wanted to find an amp that had both crystalline cleans on one channel, great overdrive on another, and a third for fuzzy lead tone. If such a beast exists in the wild I'd probably make it my life long passion to acquire it and harness it's magical powers for the making of the greatest song in the world.

In reality I think you have to decide if you want your amp to be dirty and clean up with the volume control or clean with pedals. OR somewhere sorta in between like I've got with my Voxen, but switching channels is for the birds.

16. surfoverb

this interview was from last year.
    that means Dumbles were in fact overrated until very recently.

so thats 30 years overrated vs 1 year not overrated

not a very good batting average of overratedness

If that wasnt JoeB who said to his ears they sound not so great
    the dumble advocate would dismiss it as the player isnt good enough.

another way to look at it is out of all the dumbles JoeB has played only 1
    is truly magic. Clearly then they arent all magic, in fact most are not
    therefore to say all dumbles are magic is in fact overrating them.

17. JD0x0

Who said that?

Sounds almost like a Fuchs TDS would do you some good.

My Hiwatt Lead50 can go from clean to 'metal' with mere picking dynamics. My ODS clone also does it quite well on the OD setting, with picking dynamics.(though it has less gain) Very 'touch sensitive' as they say.. I rarely use the volume knob to clean things up, even though it works very well. The clean 'channel*' is much better for squeaky clean playing, and doing things like spanking funk chords, though. You just need to find the right amps that work for you. Not every one will... btw, both amps take pedals exceptionally well, but I've pretty much ceased the use of my boutique OD pedals, for amp drive. Allen Hinds, is with me on this one. He hasn't used an OD pedal in over a year, because he enjoys the drive from his Redplate so much.
    (BTW, the ODS is technically one channel, though it has a 'clean' and 'overdrive' setting, The OD is still the 'clean' channel, but cascasdes another 2 triodes, in series, and has an attenuator, so you can set clean/OD volume more independently.) The ODS is also fairly unique, in that, it has an attenuator between nearly every gain stage, and you can overdrive nearly any stage of the amp, when you push them hard enough. This allows you tonal shaping and overdrive shaping that you can't normally achieve in many other designs. For example, the internal OD trimmer controls the input signal to the 'OD setting' by turning it up or down you can go from a lower gain, woodier sounding drive, into more marshall and boogie territory. Many people neglect to realize how much the drive character can change, just by pushing the stages in different ways, and what's a good setup for one player, may not be preferable to another player.

Amps are musical instruments as much as the guitars are. If you dont know how you use them, you're not going to get the most out of them. And not every player likes Les Pauls, just like not every player will like a Dumble, or a Fender amp, or a Kramer guitar, or a tele. Guitars and amps should not all be approached in the same way. Just because Player X can't use a tele for metal, doesn't make it 'overrated' or a bad tool for the job, or any job, because there are other people who can use them just fine, and achieve what they're going for. I hate how black and white people need to make things. Dumbles can be incredibly versatile tools, if you know how to take advantage of them. If not, then yeah, any tool can seem 'overrated.'

A power drill is an overrated screwdriver, if you dont know how to charge/install the battery, or install the bits...

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  18. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

From the Dumble/Fender mould - many amps do what you want. Fuchs, & here - Redplate, etc.. (these amps exist; you gotta spare some dime & pay the price)

19. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, the controls are mind-boggling! Honestly, once you find your sound it's set and forget.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  20. El Chivo

El Chivo Tele-Meister

I will never understand the Boogie Triple Rectifiers.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.