What's the most OVERRATED amp ever?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by zook, Feb 6, 2016.

1. freshchops

freshchops Tele-Meister

Ha, PERFECT!!! I came to say the same thing... word-for-word.

2. freshchops

freshchops Tele-Meister

... don't know if they've been mentioned here either,
    but I think ORANGE belongs in the conversation too!

(been there / done that)

3. jmclaren

jmclaren Tele-Holic

Don't get this guy at all....................a demon grabbed his wang bar?

4. sunkidd

sunkidd Tele-Holic

Now I get it! All amps are overrated.......:eek:
    Thanks you guys?:confused:

5. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Yup.

Everything sucks.... there is no "tone".... it's all an illusion.... for cork sniffers....

Why? Because keith richards, of course

Voila

6. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

i think there is a world of difference between the tone you think you want want and the tone the audience perceives.They want to be entertained and you want a perfect tone so that the possibly guitar buff having a beer will think or maybe even come up to you and say "great tone man" .Or even a young lady tonebitch .Dream on .To the uninitiated 99.9 % of whoever s listening you either have it or you dont .

7. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Which ones are highly rated? There are so many manufacturers. Hell, there are so many "boutique" manufacturers. How many circuits can there really be that make that much of a difference?
    I've never played a Dr. Z, Two Rock, 65 Amps, Swart, Headstrong etc amp so I can't say whether they are "all that and a bag chips" but I imagine there is some hype to all of them.
    When I watch youtube demo's it's really hard to say.
    I've owned Fender reissues, a Vox, a Boogie, a hand wired custom shop Fender Tweed Deluxe but never a Marshall.
    Aren't all amps basically built on the foundation of a Fender, Marshall or Vox?
    As for Dumbles, who cares?

8. mitchfit

mitchfit Tele-Holic

ok, i'll play... keef and ampeg suck.

how many of the following players and amps just don't make the grade?

page playing the "flying dutchman" supro?

page playing a rickenbacker?

page playing a marshall?

page playing an orange?

hendrix playing a bassman?

hendrix playing a supro?

frank zappa playing a pignose?

clapton playing a champ?

niel young playing a tweed deluxe?

mccartney playing a SS super beatle?

bb king playing a SS lab?

john fogerty playing a SS Kustom?

carlos santana playing a SS amp at woodstock?

willie nelson using a SS lab as an acoustic amp?

kurt cobain playing a peavey?

edge playing an ac 30 vox?

bryan may playing an ac 30 vox.

mike campbell playing an ac 30 vox?

eddie van halen playing a peavey 5150?

was it just the ampeg, or the combination of keef and amp?

keith richards playing a mesa boogie?

playing a SS triumph silicone?

playing a hiwatt 100?

playing an ac 30 vox?

playing a dual showman?

playing a tweed twin?

mitchfit

9. homesick345

Mitch - they're all great. Only kidding.

So many great amps.

I have always said on this forum, a guitarist needs an arsenal of amp voicings; & this should include a tweed & BF amps, a british amp(s), & a Dumble flavor.

10. mitchfit

mitchfit Tele-Holic

..."I have always said on this forum, a guitarist needs an arsenal of amp voicings; & this should include a tweed & BF amps, a british amp(s), & a Dumble flavor."...

hope you don't feel that i was trashing dumble. in my first posting all i stated about them was that ~no~ amp was worth their current $$$ listings. i also questioned how many of us even really knew what any flavor of them actually sounded like, due to their rarity.

also have very little faith in vids on the 'tube being faithful recordings of the amp [only] if they don't state this is X axe > y cable > z amp---AND NOTHING ELSE.

are they selling one? a diehard fanboy for that builder? in no way $tanding to gain from promotion of that product?

over the course of many, many laps around the sun i have listened to LZ1 way too many times to count. from vinyl, magnetic 8 track, magnetic cassete, compact disc to remastered digital. the entire gamut.

i absolutely refuse to believe that all of those guitar tracks were made with the lost dutchman supro--and not pedaled/processed extensively. with that thought stuck in the front of your brain, give it a listen yourself and then you decide.

strikes me odd that george martin was eventually called "the 5th beatle", but patrick page is only considered as a guitar player.

whether one likes page's guitar playing or not, unless they are totally clueless they should acknowledge his prowess as an exceptional studio engineer. as such, he was zep's secret weapon.

just yesterday, was at a bud's house playing a six string mexistrat> a slapped back delay pedal> a vox freight train 50H [G1]> a 480 watt b52 AT412A 4x12, surgically altered by a quite mad doctor into a post-op open back cabinet. had the treble dimed, with low-ish mids/bass in the "clean" channel, about the only good feature of that amp for ~my~ particular use.

was amazed when it sounded just like roger mcguin fingerpicking dylan's mr. tambourine man.

what's he hiding from you in the above statements?

there was an origin fx sliderig dual compressor in front of the delay.

and so that made a half dozen strings sound like a dozen?

no, not at all. it made it sound just like mcguinn on mr. tambourine man.

never underestimate what processing is capable of.

mitchfit

11. spellcaster

spellcaster Tele-Holic

Fender Champ/Vibrochamp. I owned a 66 Vibrochamp for a couple of years but never learned to love it. I tried different sets of tubes and different speakers but never thought it sounded like anything but a small practice amp. Even plugged into my vintage 2x12 Bandmaster or 2x15 Dual Showman cabinets, it just sounded.....small.

12. homesick345

Totally agree about the prices - but this equally valid for all crazy vintage gear prices.

Putting aside this debate - & IF you, or somebody is interested or intrigued by the Dumble tone, there is a plethora of solutions available (I always wanted to be able to use "plethora". So thanks!) :p

Solutions cover exact clones to variations on the theme. THe Dumble "thing" is a world in itself inside the bigger world of guitar amps - there is a folklore around the effect loop tube buffereing (necessary to get that tone), the cab opening, the speakers, the wires directions, the circuit breaking-in time, etc... You could tap into all this for prices ranging from $1000 to $5000..Not to mention pedals, even modellers, etc...

I don't regret a bit having embraced the Dumble thing. It sounds glorious at all volumes

Peace

13. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

you can also go onto FUSE and search for Dumble presets, if you have a Mustang :D I don't think there's much that Mustang can't do

14. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

Where on stage?

15. nick1386

nick1386 TDPRI Member

This thread was very educational. I learned that small amps sound small, big amps need to be loud, and every amp ever created is "overrated" according to people who are going for a different sound.

16. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

And sounding like a Mesa means that you're a failure at sounding like a Fender or Marshall.

17. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

This will never stop being funny.

18. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Just to the left of the drummer, so I could set the Dumble down. I then walked center stage to the mic and rocked the house, after detaching my parachute, of course.

When the set was over, I leapt off the roof and wing suited to my yacht, where I drank champagne and showed off my '59 burst to the entire cast of the 2016 SI swimsuit issue. They were so impressed, they all asked me to marry them. Then every one of them got me a Marshall for an engagement gift, because even swimsuit models had heard by then that Dumbles were overrated.

19. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

This whole thread has been a mashup of chuckles and facepalms. :lol:

20. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Then you woke up in a pool of vomit and bong water, buried in empty beer cans. But through the haze, there it was, the Dumble...or was it a First Act? You couldn't really be sure.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.