What's The Hot Deal On a Fender Bass?

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by Texicaster, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Afflicted

¡Bueno!

I'm trying to do my shopping up front this time as I had spent more $$ on my other Fenders before learning of the Baja Tele's or Classic Vibes etc..

is there a killer less expensive Fender bass I should be angling for? If not what's the best bang for the buck? Looks like I'll have to go new or used on internet as I have not seen anything come up locally on CL is the couple months I've been looking.

Thanks!

2. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

My son could buy whatever he wants, and he has some expensive basses. His fretted four string is a Squier affinity.

erratick, nojazzhere and Texicaster like this.
  3. Pooks

Pooks TDPRI Member

I was gonna get a Classic Vibe and ended up getting a Fender Player Series Jaguar Bass. This is my 1st Bass and I went with the Jaguar b/c it has the P/J pickup configuration and I wasn't sure if I would prefer a P or J so this seemed like a good compromise. Overall I'm really happy with the quality of the bass. All of the Player bases list for $675 which was more than I originally set out to spend. I was able to get a deal with Sweetwater that I was happy with.

As for best bang for the buck, I'm guessing the Classic Vibe is up there.

erratick, Bassman8 and Texicaster like this.
  4. Bassman8

Bassman8 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

You didn't mention any particulars but IMO the best Fender Bass deal going is a demo/scratch Player Series Jazz, P or Jaguar Bass. A few tweaks and you have a bass suitable for just about anything you can throw at it. I can't speak for the other places but I've done a few of these through Sweetwater and the scratches or wear were never as bad as they described them to be. It does take some patience to go this route but you can feel smug about saving some bucks.

NewKid and erratick like this.
  5. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

Texicaster likes this.
  6. oatsoda

oatsoda Tele-Holic

Just picked up a MIM Mustang and having Aton of fun with it. Short scale and light weight is awesome

Texicaster likes this.
  7. erratick

erratick Tele-Holic

Player series is up there. It's a pro level instrument. In the US you can get it for less than $700 new in some pretty cool colours. I have a Player series replacement neck on a jazz bass and it is great. $700 for a real Fender new is pretty good.

Used to be the best bang for a buck on a jazz bass was the 70s VM Jazz Squier. I'd argue it still is. You could set it up and gig it. They changed production a little, but it is still good. $350 new- which is probably $30 more than it's introduction price. They have a 60s one as well. You can find them used for $200-300 in pretty good shape. You don't even have to change the electronics as some people are want to do on Squier.

The one I lust after (not as good a deal)- is the Vintera in firemist gold- but it's a grand street price. I think you are paying an extra $300 over the players series for questionable value- basically colour.

The Aerodyne is a sweet sweet bass for under a grand too. Light, great sound.

I think the Aerodyne and Vintera have the vintage radius. The others are more flat.

Texicaster likes this.
  8. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's

Used Fender MIM Standard P.

beyer160 and erratick like this.
  9. erratick

erratick Tele-Holic

Sometimes you can find these in good shape at $300s, which is for sure a killer deal. Sometimes they are ragged out, and sometimes people are asking above retail (which is crazy), so caveat emptor.

10. Cadfael

Cadfael Tele-Meister

You won't get them in a shop any more.

But the Squier Matt Freeman Bass is an excellent bass.
    If you can get a used one - try/buy it...

In Germany you pay high second hand prices for a Matt Freeman because it's already an icon here (like the old Ibanez Blazer models from the early 1980s).

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    erratick likes this.
  11. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Meister

I like the new Jaguar bass, too...

Texicaster and Bassman8 like this.
  12. kinkstah

kinkstah Tele-Afflicted

Squier Classic Vibe basses (at least the MIC pre-2019 ones; I have read contrasted opinions about the new, MII CV line) are, IMHO, excellent instruments. And not just for the money.
    I have the Squier CV 70's Precision: I can't believe how good it is, stock. I've previously owned MIA Fenders (57 AVRI Precision, US Standard Jazz), and this one is as comfortable and good sounding.

erratick likes this.
  13. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Tele-Afflicted

If you live in Phoenix or Scottsdale, then there should be a TON of pawnshops.

I'd say that you might have a chance of scoring all the Squier basses members here are mentioning, or you might even find a killer USA bass for an amazing price.

All the basses in my collection came from pawnshop for less than wholesale prices, or what GC or Sam Ash would give for them.

The killer deals are out there, but you gotta put the time in to hunt them down.

Here's what I paid for my basses from pawnshops.

$64.64 - '74 USA Fender Jazz Bass
    $400 - '78 USA Fender P-Bass
    $115 - '90 MIJ Fender '57RI P-Bass
    $204 - '94 USA Fender Jazz V Plus Bass
    $190 - '94 USA Hamer Chapparal Bass

14. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

My bandmate's got two Squier basses - one's natural with ash/maple and black block fret markers and 3-layer black pickguard in a Jazz bass two pickup fornat, the other"s a lovely metallic blue wbw guard with single Precision type pickup and they're both punchy sounding. The blue P-bass has a pleasing throaty bite to it.

15. separateness

separateness TDPRI Member

Peavey Fury.

16. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

For a bang-for-the-buck Fender Bass, I like the Classic Vibe '50s Precision.

$350, really quite good for the money, and IMO, it's about the most beautiful Fender bass out there at any price point. All it needs is the proper bridge and pickup covers, and a hard case (but a gig bag will do for now).

Screen Shot 2019-12-22 at 10.56.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-22 at 10.56.44 PM.png

I have a couple of AV basses I've diligently collected in the two years since they've been discontinued. They originally retailed for $2,150 each. They are near perfect instruments. They totally satisfy me. However, I am still considering getting a pair of these Squiers (one in each color), just because I like them so much for the money.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
  17. howlin

howlin Tele-Afflicted

Ever heard of Sire? They're all the rage on the Talk Bass forum. Designed with Markus Miller and a price point that's hard to ignore.

18. Dave W

Dave W Friend of Leo's

I have no idea what the hot deal is on a Fender bass, but if what you really want is a Fender, then buy a Fender. Not a Squier. Not a Peavey. Not a Sire. Those all have their good points, but if you want a real Fender bass, you won't be happy until you own one.

Bassman8 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.