1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Whats the first guitar you actially saw and went wow!!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Westreverb, Aug 14, 2012.

1. DonMI6

DonMI6 Tele-Holic

Probably a Flying V, supercool to a 12 year old in 1982.

2. Hack On Wheels

Hack On Wheels Tele-Meister

Fender Telecaster 72 Thinline (Reissue).
    I was a bit late to the party, but after being given a classical guitar I came around to the idea of learning an instrument. So I went to local music stores looking at electrics (switches, knobs, and amplification is very intriguing for a nerd)... Ended up getting hooked on the 72 Thinline; it just looks so classy and gorgeous to me. Couldn't get my mind off it and ended up bringing it home within a couple of weeks.

*Disclaimer: I've since become a sucker for the blackguards/butterscotch blondes.

3. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

Well if you were a kid in the burbs in the Midwest and it was 1976-77 and all you had was a am/fm radio one of the first albums you bought was this and of course it was this picture of this guy and his guitar:

Attached Files:

4. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

I can't remenber where I saw it, but the first guitar I really drooled over was a cherry Gibson 335. Never have owned one, but I still think they are super cool. Although now my ideas of great tone have changed, so if my ship were to come in, it would bring me this...

[​IMG]

5. ludashoeless

ludashoeless Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

6. SockPuppetMasta

SockPuppetMasta Tele-Meister

A few weeks ago.
    An original 1973 Tele Deluxe which was the owners only electric guitar, he purchased it new.
    The entire finish(Mocha) had all but been played right off save for a few specks here and there.
    the pickguard was cracked and broken, there were dings in the body you could hide picks in,
    the headstock was split just below the high E tuner, The pickups: all original with a little rust on the covers... and it played and sounded so good it was almost surreal. totally amazing guitar.

I remember thinking for a old school country music guitarist this thing looks like it belongs on stage with Cobain.

7. spikypaddy

spikypaddy Tele-Afflicted

CreamOfClapton.jpg

8. BradL

BradL Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

9. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

10. rideough

rideough TDPRI Member

I remember walking into my local guitar shop when I was 10, this was 1985. I had a cheap junky acoustic and figured I needed some new strings. So my father brought me their and we were looking around and the owner asked me if I wanted to see something cool. Nervously I said yes and I sat up on the stool by the counter. He pulled a case out from behind the counter and plopped it in front of me. He opened it up and my jaw hit theground as I was exposed for the first time ever to a Les Paul. A 1978 wine red Les Paul Custom to be exact. The top carve blew my young fragile mind. My dad told me if I learned to play like Chet Atkins he'd buy me one. Well I never learned to play like Chet so 8 years later I bought that exact Les Paul from the owner. I no longer have it, it was 12 pounds and killed my back but I count that owner as one of my best friends now and whenever I visit my hometown I always go to the local shop and end up spending hours talking to him and about that Custom. I'm a tele man now, though Jim (owner) doesn't understand! He sold me my first Tele too, actually my first 3 tele's!

11. stevehall

stevehall TDPRI Member

Waylon's Tele

12. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I can remember three. Which came first is blurry, but it would have been one of these:

- Fender Jag-Stang
    - Richey Edwards's '72 Thinline Tele
    - Bernard Butler's cherry red ES 335

13. telepathetic

telepathetic Tele-Afflicted

In '68 I (embarrassingly) made my stage debut with a guitar. My guitar was an Atlas (Supro):
    [​IMG]

A guy in the other band had this:
    [​IMG]

I had never seen anything so beautiful. I've only seen one other one in all these years.

14. H. Mac

H. Mac Friend of Leo's

During my grade school years, I’d stop at the music store on my way home almost every day to look at the guitars on the wall, and by age 12 or 13, the desire for an ES 335 was firmly planted. The owner used to say, "Don't touch anything" almost every day too.

And then one day, he surprised me. He took the 335 down and let me hold it, but wouldn't let me strum it, not even once.

15. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    When I was a kid my friend's older brother had a wine coloured LP Custom with a flamed maple top. It was so gorgeous I would've slept with it.

16. Luthier Atlanta

Luthier Atlanta Tele-Afflicted

Gretsch

17. garrett

garrett Tele-Afflicted

When I got into playing, I gravitated to Strats, but the first guitar that really wowed me was the original Ibanez Talman, with the lipstick pickups.

I remember when I first saw the ad in Guitar magazine. It was like wow, that's the guitar for me! I was only 14, so I saved money for months to buy one.

18. LarsOS

LarsOS Tele-Holic

[​IMG]
    Bass guitars are guitars too. :) I played a cheap, nightmarishly bad GFX five-string bass, but then I saw Flea play the StingRay (and sometimes the SR5). Gorgeous bass guitars. Eventually I bought myself a used SR5. That was almost 20 years ago. I actually want more StingRays, but they're priced too high, so I'll stay with Squier teles for now. ;)

19. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

I remember seeing this for the very first time and thinking "wow".

[​IMG]

20. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

Mine was a classic black Les Paul with white pickguard - it wasn't even a Gibson, it was a copy, but man - I stared at that picture in the catalog over and over again. I wanted it so badly. But oddly enough, when I finally saved enough paper route money to buy a guitar, I bought a white-on-white Tele copy. I think it was the ashtray cover that made me do it...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.