Whats the first guitar you actially saw and went wow!!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Westreverb, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Westreverb

Westreverb Tele-Meister

I remember when I was 7 and went to a fair at a country town that my best mates dad was organizing and we had free rides , soda , fairy floss etc so we were pretty stoked
    This was in the 70's and we ate and drank ourselves stupid.
    I walked past a tent in the afternoon and the music coming out of that tent just sucked me in to stand there dumbfounded in awe
    They were playing smoking in the boys room and the guitar player blew me away
    He was playing a white Les Paul but at the time I didn't know what sort of guitar it was
    I stood there and went WOW!!
    After 5 mi s my mate wanted to go on more rides but I could not leave the music or take my eyes off the guitar player- my mate was pissed but I stayed and watched the whole set
    It was definatley the beginning for me
    Anybody remember thier moment!!

2. javabirds

javabirds Tele-Holic

When I was in high school I saw an ad in a magazine that showed some guy on a bus or something playing a tobacco burst les paul. It was a great shot. Sure it was contrived but, man, that thing was beautiful. Advertising is powerful stuff. It took about 15 years but I eventually bought a tobacco burst R8.

3. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

as a young kid watching B&W TV... those US country music shows...

it was Chet playing the Gretsch CG... it was more about how he was playing it... like WOW!.. can you do that on a guitar?.... and look like you're having a ton 'o fun...

4. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

As an 18 year old (almost 25 years ago) I had the pleasure of working with this man for a couple of summers in a cabinet shop. One day I opened his guitar case and there was a vintage white looking strat with a rosewood neck. I just thought it was about the coolest thing ever. Really he set me on my way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-EBdAzUJ3g

5. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

Late in 1963 Fender sent out their little magazine introducing new models. That was the first time I ever laid my eyes on a Mustang. I started saving that day and got it when it hit the music shop in April 1964. $195 with case. I could have got a new tele for less, but that red Mustang just looked so good. And, it had a vibrato.

6. bigmuff113

bigmuff113 Friend of Leo's

There were quite a few

Attached Files:

7. Ecadad

Ecadad Tele-Holic

My first "wow" was when I saw this picture:
    [​IMG]
    I wasn't even a huge Stones fan; it just looked so cool.

Then there was this:
    [​IMG]
    My first electric was a Les Paul copy, I mistakenly thought George had a les paul in this pic.

[​IMG] I thought this was super cool... I still do

[​IMG]
    I almost bought a Strat instead of a tele because of Frusciante's awesome strat

[​IMG]
    I also am obsessed with jack's triple jet

8. Chill Mike D

Chill Mike D Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

9. twintwelve

twintwelve Tele-Afflicted

Strangely enough, an Ibanez Iceman-when i was 12 in 1978.
    [​IMG]

I really want one of these, though!!
    [​IMG]

10. beep.click

beep.click Poster Extraordinaire

Must have been Beatles or Monkees. So, Gretsch or Ric.

11. bossking7

bossking7 Tele-Afflicted

I'll be honest... I have no idea.

12. bigmuff113

bigmuff113 Friend of Leo's

Never hear of them :mr.green:

13. dblues

dblues Tele-Holic

Don't remember. The first guitar(s) I heard and went wow were whatever George and John were playing. Remember being downtown Elgin, IL late afternoon in the winter, looking at the guitars in the window of Leonard's and Fox Music. Bright red,sunburst,white. Still love looking at them.

14. DrumBob

DrumBob -------------------------

When I saw Les Paul & Mary Ford on their 15 minute TV show around 1955 or so. I have no idea what Les was playing, but I loved what I saw.

15. NastyMojo

NastyMojo Tele-Afflicted

Stevie Ray Vaughan's Number One Strat.

[​IMG]

16. csadams5

csadams5 Tele-Holic

I for the life of me can't remember what kind of guitar it was, but my cousin played when I was little and he started me down this road.

Other than that, I saw a special on PBS talking about piezo pickups and they showed Parker Fly guitars and that was a wow I want one moment. Then the first time I saw one at GC, it was the start of gas for me. This was right when they were first released and I was sold. If they didn't cost so much I would have gotten one, but the lust for one has past.

17. Old Has Been

Old Has Been Tele-Meister

There was a rack of three or four Martins in a music shop fifty years ago. I was 13-years old at the time and owned a thirteen-dollar Kay guitar made out of ¼-inch plywood and strung with super heavy-gauge bronze strings that ripped the heck out of my fingertips. I saw these beautiful Martin guitars. I was with my parents. The clerk took a beautiful D-18 off the rack and handed it to me. It was gorgeous, the action was superb and the tone rang like the proverbial bell. I was totally awed. The price, if I remember correctly, was something totally unaffordable for me at the time...something like $150.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  18. jonhart

jonhart Tele-Meister

I would hang out in the shed with my dad while he listened to records. I loved the Stones the moment I heard them, but listening to Clapton made me want to pick up a guitar. I started messing around with my dad's old Yamaha classical guitar. I used to play with my thumb, but I eventualy learned how to realy play. Now I'm playing in Church and a few local bands aswell. I came a long way from when I used to sit out in the shed listening to Clapton and trying to play it with that old Yamaha.

I remember the time I fell in love with Teles. I play with this country/southern rock band around here, and one of their guitarists uses a Jay Turser Tele copy. It's actualy the drummer's guitar. They call it the "Trailercaster." The moment I picked that thing up in their studio I knew I wanted a Tele. Those guys taught me a lot, not all of it was good but I still appreciate them. I love Strats, but my good ol partscaster Tele will always be my #1, and I'll always remember the guys that introduced me to the Telecaster.

19. Racer5

Racer5 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Steve Jones' white Les Paul Custom. I still want one...

20. Starshine

Starshine Tele-Afflicted

When I was in junior high and just started playing, there was this wine red Les Paul in a local shop. I wanted that thing so badly and I'd always beg my dad to buy it for me. He'd play along and pretend like he was actually considering it, before inevitably "deciding" against it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.