Whats the farthest youve traveled for a one-off show?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by MandyMarie, Feb 23, 2011.

1. MandyMarie

MandyMarie Friend of Leo's

I live in Austin, Texas now and I have to be in my old adopted hometown of Indianapolis, IN for a single show with my "old" bandmates/best pals on Saturday. That's 1094 miles. Each way. I'm excited to see everybody but I'm going to lose money doing this, and I'm cracking up.

A tour/a mini-tour is one thing...but I'm talking for just a one off show. What's the farthest you've gone and how did you make it worth it in the long run? I play for a living, and I'm nervous about rent but excited to get silly with the guys I love like brothers. Give me advice on how to keep this annual show going! *gulp*

Attached Files:

2. dwlb

dwlb Tele-Holic

Fantastic! I will be heading from Chicago to Austin for a one-off show this September, so I still don't think I'll beat your record. Farthest I've gone previously was about 250 miles, but that was for (at the time) a pretty good-paying gig.

3. leftiecaster

leftiecaster Tele-Meister

90 miles

4. cowboytwang

cowboytwang Poster Extraordinaire

I did one set, at the Equiblues Festival in Saint-Agrève France, a couple of years ago. I don't know exactly how far that is from Vegas (6000 or so miles one way), but I was on 8 different planes, a few vans, 4 trams, a train, and a bus in 5 days.
    Is that far enough for one show?

5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My longest distance for a one off (New Years Eve) gig was 660 miles, one way.
    That's the distance from Prince George, BC to Iskut, BC.
    I did it on two consecutive years, 1994 and 1995.
    They were also my best paying gigs, so far.

6. tuuur

tuuur Friend of Leo's

We played kind of like a tour with our band, which fell apart due to venues canceling shows. In the end there were 3 shows left of the original 11.
    One day we played in Vaals, the Netherlands; next day we played Luzern, Switzerland. That's 639 km, or 397 miles. We thought it was far enough...

the last show was in Berlin, were we had to travel to from our home town. That trip was 589 km, or 365 miles; strangely enough it felt relatively short... :D

7. kman900

kman900 Tele-Afflicted

Don't know if this counts, but on May 20th my friend Det and I will present our new 2-Piece Band "El Camino" at my friend Axel's party in Morongo Valley, CA.
    From my home, Trier, Germany, this would make 9289 km or 5770 mls one way.

:D

Ok, we'll be on a holiday . . the longest way just to play a gig was 880 km or 546 mls from Trier to Stralsund.

8. Tdub

Tdub Friend of Leo's

From Tampa, FL to Elizabethtown KY. for a New Year's Eve gig in 2005/6. Great fun.

9. Al Watsky

Al Watsky Tele-Afflicted

NYC to Moscow.
    A runout.

10. brokenjoe

brokenjoe Friend of Leo's

The Azores, from Toronto. 2797 miles (I just looked it up.)

One show, stayed for six days, everything paid for by the promoter. Absolutely heavenly!

11. Suicideking

Suicideking Friend of Leo's

My furthest distance traveled to play a single show was from Melbourne Fl, to Boulder Co. It was for a Last Waltz tribute show we do every year in Boulder where I used to live. Well a couple years after I left I found out that Eric Clapton was gonna be in Denver the same time as the Last Waltz was gonna go on. My friend Annabelle who is the promoter for Jam Cruz, Lollapalloza, and Bonnaroo puts on the show got Clapton to come and Jam in on further on down the road. So seing as I usually do the Robertson part I kinda felt like I had to go for the once in a lifetime chance to do it with the man. It was one of the best moments in my life, was soooo worth the money lost for the trip..

12. Grit

Grit Tele-Holic

900 e/w mile trip to go play a 25th High School reunion, where we had been hired as the graduation dance band. We hadn't played together for over 20 years, and most of us hadn't really talked in that time too, but was worth the expense on so many levels.

13. Tele-Monster

Tele-Monster Friend of Leo's

From Minneapolis to Oklahoma, 14 hr one way to play a show the next day and drive home the next. Don't ask....

14. Skub

Skub Friend of Leo's

Probably not far in terms of actual distance,but we had to take an overnight stinking ferry (no sleep and we all had the sh*ts the next day from crappy ferry food) so it took us more than a day to get there just to play one gig at an English university. We didn't break even,but some good memories.

It would take something special for me to be bothered now.

15. zombuswoof

zombuswoof Tele-Meister

The farthest I ever drove for a one-off was Greenville, SC to Pensacola, Florida for a wedding that was well worth the trip. The farthest I've ever traveled though was Greenville, SC to Denver for one show. That was a lot of hassle for a decent gig.

16. Ron Garson

Ron Garson Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Not a show, but I did once travel from London to Nashville for a jam...

17. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

700 miles one way from Phoenix to Monterey in 2000 and 2001

18. mickeydean

mickeydean Friend of Leo's

i might go as far as my kitchen. depends what is in the fridge.

19. MandyMarie

MandyMarie Friend of Leo's

Ohhhhh, don't talk about it being the best paying gigs of your life - you guys are killing me! ;-)

20. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Is it being promoted as a reunion gig, or is it just a regular gig? Will members of the audience realize the importance of your involvement?

If the audience is excited about the reunion, you could turn it into a "Bring Mandy Home" thing every year, and ask for donations to cover your expenses. You might even try to get sponsors for the event.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.