What's the Dumbest Thing You've...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TokyoPortrait, Jul 22, 2019.

Tags:
  1. mpassell

mpassell TDPRI Member

recently I staged my gear in the garage, hurriedly loaded the car and rushed off to the gig and when it came to load in, I discovered I had left both guitars in the garage. I called two friends local to the gig and managed to borrow one. No fun at all!

TokyoPortrait likes this.
  2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

This not musical, and is clearly off topic, but it's pretty dumb.

When I was only nineteen years old, I had gotten a chauffer's license as it was called in those days to haul ag produce. A little later, I got a good job working for an implement dealership. When they learned that I had a license to drive a truck they put me to hauling equipment almost right off the bat. One day they sent me to Bakersfield from Wasco where I lived to haul an implement to the largest store they company owned.

Somehow, instead of going to the place I was supposed to, I went to an area that contained a conference room, but I thought it was just the office. I barged in to ask where they wanted the equipment delivered, and there set a roomful of men dressed in suits and ties at a big table! The guy who was doing the talking never missed a beat he looked at me and said, "get the hell out of here!" Somehow I got turned around, and opened the door, and walked right into a closet, and shut the door. I didn't know what to do, so being young I just stood there, finally after what seemed like a couple of days, but was only a minute or two, the guy who had run me off opened the door and said "you can come out now."

I'm sure my face was the color of a freshly painted stop sign, I mumbled something and exited through the right door, found someone who directed me to the right place, and got the equipment unloaded. When I got back to the yard, I got chewed out for being not only lost, but stupid. I got a weeks duty doing nothing but steam cleaning, but luckily didn't get fired.

Rowdyman and TokyoPortrait like this.
  3. Toto'sDad

The above may appear to have been stolen from a cheap comedy routine, I assure it was not, but when I was living through it, I sincerely wish that it had been.

Rowdyman and TokyoPortrait like this.
  4. CRMCRM

CRMCRM TDPRI Member

I play in a little jazz duo with a guy who has a great ear, but is not technical as far as equipment goes. He lives an hour away and we practice in a conference room in his office space, which is about half way in between.

We practice with a little Cube Street. I can't tell you how many times he has plugged my guitar into the headphone jack. I guess he thinks that his guitar plugs in on one end of the amp and mine on the other end.

Only once have I made the 35 minute drive with an empty guitar case.

We played a jam at a lake cabin about an hour north last weekend. I have a bag with cables, extra strings, spare picks, screw drivers and such in the office space. I suggested that he bring this along to the jam, just in case. I reminded him to bring the bag back for last night's practice session. He brought the bag back, but hadn't put the guitar cables back in the bag. (I anticipated this and brought along spares.)

TokyoPortrait and Toto'sDad like this.
  5. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Holic

Hmm, actually I think those guys were rather rude.
    You haven't been there before, right? If I read it correct, it was the right adress, but the wrong building or wrong room? Well, mixing up adresses is not that uncommon, it happens all the time.
    So, entering a room you - unintentionally - mistook as the office seems rather less of a mistake whereas being told to "get the hell out" and then being shoved(!) into a toilet, seems very rude and arrogant.

TokyoPortrait and Toto'sDad like this.
  6. opticnerv

opticnerv TDPRI Member

Had 3 guitars at gig, one with an alt tuning to accommodate our singer/keyboardist on a couple of songs. Yep - started the 3rd song of the set with the wrong guitar to a full house.

7. Toto'sDad

Life was different in those days. A company manager had unbelievable power, and was held in awe by everyone below him in status. The pecking order really was a factor in every day work life. I was only nineteen, but yes you summed it up, I was at the correct address it was just a huge compound, and probably the same mistake had been made before. A good job was hard to come by in those days, I was willing to do my time at the steam cleaner to hold onto it. I worked there several years. Then one day, I moved on. That would be the last job that I would take any kind of abuse. From there on out, I started doing things my way, and continued with that until I retired. I guess I went from one extreme to the other. It worked out though, but I had a LOT of jobs after that.

wulfenganck and TokyoPortrait like this.
  8. opticnerv

opticnerv TDPRI Member

Or the "singer" can - not - hit - a - note.

9. rocks2oldies

rocks2oldies TDPRI Member

Bought a new American Standard Strat and a new Tele, big time $$$s. Can't play either one, wishing I could afford decent lessons. Watching online is hard to actually see finger placement.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.