whats the difference?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Shira mustanggirl, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Shira mustanggirl

Shira mustanggirl TDPRI Member

Hi,
    i'm a 14 yo girl and a complete beginner.:oops::confused::)

What is the difference between a Fender HSS standard strat and a Fender HSS deluxe strat?

And then you also have a Fender HSS professional strat!?

thanks
    Shira;)

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. Muinarc

Muinarc Tele-Meister

Hello Shira. I believe the only differences between the Standard and Deluxe are the bridge/tremolo, pickups, and the fretboard radius.

The Deluxe lists a 2-point bridge, where the Standard has a 6-screw bridge. The difference there is a "feel" thing, some people just prefer one over the other.

The fretboard radius is also a feel thing, both would probably feel pretty similar to someone new to guitar though to be honest.

The professional is pretty similar to a Standard but with a 2-point bridge like the Deluxe and it's own set of pickups. It also has a body made from Ash wood where the other 2 are Alder bodies.

These may be built in different countries (if you care about that), and of course they all come in at different price points.

Shira mustanggirl likes this.
  3. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

As with any other model, while they are both nice instruments, you need to sit down with each model and see what you think. Happy hunting !!

4. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Meister

Welcome to the format, Shira. The primary differences between those models are price points and the way that they are achieved. Firstly, place of origin. China, Indonesia, Mexico and USA come to mind and I am probably leaving somebody out. Next would be hardware, woods and electronics. Less expensive parts yield less expensive guitars. This is not to say that a good guitar can't be had from any of the above choices, I have a couple of excellent Squier Tele's that have brought me a lasting appreciation for Tele's in general. It's all about what works for you. Again, welcome, and best wishes.

5. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've not played all those models recently but generally speaking they are three quality levels with price differences to match.
    Standard being the cheapest and made in Mexico, Deluxe being better and Professional being the "best" of the three.
    But some may prefer a cheaper one either for different specs or just because they find a really nice Mexican Standard Strat but not such a nice Deluxe in the same shop.
    By that I mean that you can take a row of same model Fenders and they will all sound ad play a little differently.
    Moving "up" from a MIM (Mexican) to a USA should mean the guitar is better.
    The pickups are one thing it's hard to judge if you're not really familiar with how a very good pickup sounbds compared to an OK pickup, plus your preference may be more in line with the cheaper one if the expensive one is vintage sounding and you prefer modern etc etc.

Welcome to the TDPRI!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  6. Shira mustanggirl

Allrighty, thanks alot guys!!!

Bella_Caster likes this.
  7. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Hold on a sec... Doesn’t the Fender Deluxe Stratocaster have an S-1 (stealth) pushbutton switch on the volume control to add some fancy wiring into the circuit?

There seem to be so many variations of the Strat that I can’t really keep up with what’s what but I’m pretty sure I’ve seen Deluxe wiring diagrams that included a lot of extra wiring as compared to a standard or pro Series Strat.

Hey Shira, welcome aboard. There’s so much here on the site for a guitarist and so many really talented and helpful players here too. If you’re ever at a loss for practice material, head over to the tabs, tips and theory side of the site. It’ll keep you busy for ages.

8. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

There are 3 MIM Deluxe Strats; 2 of them have the S-1 switching and the other has an extra pushbutton switch:
    1. Deluxe Strat - this is the SSS model; it has a pushbutton switch that adds the neck pickup to positions 1 and 2 on the 5-way switch. This is the only model with the pushbutton switch.
    2. Deluxe Roadhouse Strat - also an SSS model; it has some kind of boost circuit; the lower tone pot is a 6-way rotary switch for the circuit. This one has the S-1 switch, which is an on/off for the boost circuit
    3. Deluxe HSS Strat - this one has the S-1 switch but it's simply a coil split for the humbucker
    I believe Shira's looking at the HSS version, so for that one the S-1 is a coil split.

Shira mustanggirl and awasson like this.
  9. Shira mustanggirl

Yeah I think I'll be going for the Fender hss deluxe strat.
    I also did some research at the internet (guitar vs guitar kinds of things) and found out that the Deluxe has more tone possibilities etc. which is pretty important to me because I'm a songwriter and some songs would need different music styles, but, my family is on a pretty tight budget. so well, thanks for al the help!
    Now I'm able to get some things sorted out a bit in my mind! :lol:

awasson likes this.
  10. Shira mustanggirl

Oh God, to make everything even more complicated i just found this video on youtube about a Fender HSS Select Strat vs a Ibanez something, wauw i love the sound of that Select!
    Here's the video:

Select vs Deluxe?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  11. brobar

brobar Tele-Holic

If you don't have a music store locally where you can try them out in person... then I would personally recommend Sweetwater online.

Oh... and welcome to the forum. Don't forget to post the obligatory NGD thread when you get your new guitar.

nojazzhere and awasson like this.
  12. Muinarc

Muinarc Tele-Meister

Most people would recommend you actually play the guitar you buy, so going to a Guitar Center and playing several and buying the one you fall in love with or that speaks to you.

If that's not possible or the Guitar Center has no stock, Sweetwater and Musicians Friend are two well respected online retailers.

There's also Sam Ash, not sure if you would have a store up in CO but their online store is very nice as well.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  13. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Welcome to the Forum mustanggirl! Now ask us about your next Telecaster purchase! :rolleyes::lol::cool:

Play on!

14. Shira mustanggirl

okay i'll check em out!

15. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Oh Jeez... Yeah, super good advice. I got so caught up in the “what’s the difference between these guitars” that I forgot to recommend you don’t make the mistake I made with my first Strat.

I’ve got a few different guitars but I’m pretty much hooked on Stratocaster’s. That said, my first one didn’t work out and that’s because I didn’t spend enough time choosing the right one. What I should have done was rent one with the option to own. Many of our music shops have that option so if you can do that @Shira mustanggirl, take that option. You never really know it’s the right one unless you can pick it up any time day or night or with other musicians and really work it out.

Looking forward to seeing what you choose in the end.

16. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

a few things to remember when buying a guitar for the first time,
    1) most kids will buy a guitar because they are excited to get the instrument, this is some what of an investment , sit down with the guitar in the store and be critical with it , if it doesnt feel right , you wont like it after a week

2) insist that the guitar gets a professional set up befor you leave the store ,I buy the guitars that kids work hard for the money get home and they hate it after a week so they trade it in at a loss (about 50%) to get the next sparkly guitar that catches their eye , when alls the first guitar needed was a good setup,

3) make sure this feels good in your hands and comfortable ,I made sure my daughter found the guitar that felt the best for her, it was all her descision and she has one guitar for the rest of her life

4) take your parents with you when you get it so you dont get pushed into a sale you dont want

awasson likes this.
  17. Anita Bonghit

Anita Bonghit Tele-Meister

Greetings from Colorado !! You go girl.....

18. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Shira - the Fender Select was a series they had in the early 2010s trying to compete a bit with the upscale builders like Suhr and Anderson. They were close to $2k new, but in the current used market they're more like $1,200-ish. I had the Telecaster version - very, very nice model, but for the Tele ultimately it didn't have enough of the "Tele" tones - it was more "jangle-y" like a Rickenbacker (due to construction used on the Tele but not on the Strats) and the pickups.

Cool guitars, but unless you get a crazy low price on a used one probably not worth upgrading to when your're first starting out.

I think you're on the right track - stick to one of these 3 models:
    1. Standard HSS - but note that these were discontinued back in June 2018
    2. Player series HSS - replacement for the Standard, but costs something like $75 more than the standard but $125 less than the Deluxe
    3. Deluxe HSS
    Any of them will take you from starting out to playing gigs with no worries.

Shira mustanggirl and awasson like this.
  19. Shira mustanggirl

yes a thourough setup is definitly in my mind but thanks for pushing it into my mind even more. I was thinking of going to a GuitarCenter in denver or colorado springs......
    great advise man!

24 track likes this.
  20. Shira mustanggirl

Yeah I mainly like the warmer/deeper tones from that select but I'm definitly considering the standard, player etc. I'l try some of those at guitarcenter.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.