1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What's the difference between Schaller Strap Locks and Fender Schaller Designed Strap Locks?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Digiplay, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

My Title says is all! :)

2. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

About tree-fiddy!

I think the main difference I've noticed is that the Schaller version have a ball-end on the strap part, whereas the Fender version (and it's been a few years, so I don't know if this is still accurate) have a sort of flattened end.

Schaller:
    upload_2020-11-23_12-9-19.png

Fender:
    upload_2020-11-23_12-10-18.png

SheldonP and hemingway like this.
  3. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

Are we talking about these Fender strap locks?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/0990690000--fender-strap-locks-and-buttons-set-chrome

Or these?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/0990818600--fender-infinity-strap-locks-chrome

And the current production Schallers?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/StrapLkSchC--schaller-s-locks-security-strap-locks-chrome

And here are the Ernie Ball Super Locks

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/4600--ernie-ball-p04600-super-locks-set-nickel

So, the first set of Fenders appear to be the old style Schaller locks. The current production Schallers solve some issues the originals had (mostly with the guitar strap nut coming loose if you didn’t use Loctite blue).

The second set look like Fender re-branded Ernie Ball Super locks.

SuprHtr likes this.
  4. scooteraz

Those Fender locks are the old Schaller. They rely on a hex nut to hold the strap onto the lock, and if you don’t use Loctite Blue (or the equivalent thread locker), over time that nut backs off, and the strap can come loose.

The new Schaller has a thumb wheel style nut, with a locking screw. You tighten down the nut, then the jamb screw, and you don’t need Loctite. The strap nut is also a larger diameter and thicker, so easier to finger tighten. I don’t think there is much difference otherwise. The new strap buttons fit over the old guitar bracket (the part that screws to the guitar).

DavidP, AAT65 and gpilgrim like this.
  5. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

So........................................................

The "real" Schallers are better than the Fenders?

6. scooteraz

Depends. I have a ton of Loctite Blue, and several full sets of deep socket wrenches. So the original is fine. And appears to be about half the cost. OTOH, the newer one comes with the little Allen wrench so if you have no tools available to you, you can lock that strap into place.

Low cost vs. convenience. Once you have the strap on the buttons, the way they work is identical. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

BTW, they are all “real” Schallers. Fender just seems to have a supply of the design that was manufactured by Schaller and has been considered great for 30 years. Schaller seems to only be selling the current production.

7. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I sent Schaller a message asking where their strap locks were made and if they make Fender's strap locks. Then I saw a closeup pic of their strap locks and they say "Made In Germany". I hope to get a response on the Fender strap locks. I bought some Schaller-type strap locks and they were JUNK. Never again. I love Schaller strap locks. They're all I use.

8. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic

They all suck. Dunlop is the best

I'm sorry, was that wrong?

Cyberi4n and P-Nutz like this.
  9. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

Interesting!
    I have the old style Schallers on two of my guitars — one Fender-branded and the other Schaller-branded, but pretty much identical. On the first ones I had the nut did come loose and early surprised me — so I’ve since made a point of checking from time to time and I have used a socket to get them as tight as possible. Good to know that Schiller have recognised the weakness and improved the design.

Torren61 and INFANT like this.
  10. Bella

Bella Tele-Meister

Since I just went down this road a few weeks ago, I'll weigh in with what I know about the current Schaller lock system ("S-locks").

The button screws are now permanently mounted to the buttons, unlike the originals which were seperate buttons and screws. Some prefer the older design because you could sometimes get away with using your stock button screws (depending on your stock screw head and thread diameters).

The button screws on the current model are hex heads so you'll need an appropriate Allen wrench.

The thumbwheel on the current model replaces the hex nut on the originals (as noted earlier in this thread). You can thumb tighten them, but there's also a hole routed through the thumbwheel that you can fit a narrow Allen wrench or small screwdriver through to tighten the thumbwheel more securely. The thumbwheel also has a set screw (a very tiny flat-head).

The threaded shafts that attach to the strap are longer than the originals, which helps accommodate thicker strap ends.

When you order the S-locks, they only come with two buttons with mounted screws (like you'd assume). However you can choose between two additional button sets with different screw sizes to better match your stock button screw sizes. Unfortunately, I believe that you have to order those separately and in addition to the standard strap lock kit. They only offer the full kit with one default screw size. I don't recall the measurements of the standard set screws or the additional sizes they offer, but that info is available on the product page at the Schaller site.

I measured the stock screws on my LP Custom before ordering and checked the Schaller product specs. Fortunately, my stock screws matched the measurements of the screws in the standard Schaller kit, so I didn't have to order additional button-screws or resort to drilling or plugging the existing strap button holes.

The S-lock kit does not come with any tools, however the product page provides the info for the tool sizes you'll need for the button screws, thumbwheel mount route, and thumbwheel set-screw.

There's also a short video available on there that will better illustrate the above and give you the basics on installation and usage of the locks.

I usually use rubber washers for locks which work great on my Teles, but not as great on my LP, so I ended up doing a ton of research on strap lock systems before I decided on the Schallers.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    Torren61 likes this.
  11. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I’m a Schaller man. If the lock fails you still have a cradle for your guitar if you install them right.

Torren61 likes this.
  12. Torren61

I email Schaller and they got back to overnight. Their strap locks are made in Germany and they don’t make Fender strap locks.

I love Schaller strap locks. They’re the only kind I use.

13. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

And the Fender Schaller Designed Strap Locks are made in............................................................

Fender Strap Lock.jpg

Torren61 likes this.
  14. Torren61

No way I'm buying those. Genuine Schaller or nothing for me. ALL my guitars have them and ALL my straps have them.

15. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I switched to beer washers 10 years ago.

16. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

Me, too. I just didn't appreciate the metal binding noises with strap locks. I think that at least one manufacturer has refined their design to eliminate that but the washers work just as well with no noise.

17. Cyberi4n

Cyberi4n Tele-Meister

Hate Schaller strap locks. Clunky design, having to pull whilst sliding off seems counter-intuitive, and they always used to pinch my cables when I used to feed them through between the strap and the body.

Sorry, but Dunlop FTW

Theorage likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.