1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What's the difference between a "Cut" control & a "Presence" control?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by homesick345, Nov 3, 2020.

1. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

I don't mean how they work (clockwise vs anti-clockwise) I mean how do they differ in the amp topology/circuit as a function

And how similar or different are they from a schematic point of view

2. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Hopefully others who are better informed will answer this, but the Presence control adjusts the negative feedback a bit.
    The cut control may be different semantics depending on the builder. The Z Carmen Ghia tone control is said to be some sort of a "cut" IIRC and seems to simply remove lows in the mix. More of a "Fat to Thin" control.

3. tubejockey

tubejockey Tele-Holic

If we are talking about the typical Vox-style cut control, it is simply a low-pass filter across the output of the phase inverter. This will cut high frequencies regardless of the gain.

A Fender-style presence control removes highs from the feedback loop. This means the low frequencies are a bit more compressed and clean as gain goes up, but high frequencies are left out of the loop. That gives the amp a bit more sparkle when the power amp is allowed to clip, thus it is a bit more gain-dependent.

At lower gains, the two will have a similar feel, although obviously the capacitor values used will determine where the rolloff happens.

4. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Afflicted

Well said!

hepular likes this.
  5. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I've owned classic amps for decades and I've never known. I just turn the knobs till it sounds great.

tery likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.