What's the deal with pickup trucks ?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by BobbyZ, Feb 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's

When I worked down in Richmond, KY men were judged on the size of their pickup. Of course it had to be super clean 2500 with never a load in the back.

2. goldtopper

goldtopper Friend of Leo's

I drive a 1/2 ton GMC. I haul frequently, tow, load it with gear, use the 4x4 all winter long and prefer to have as much steel around my family as possible. It's a tool and damn good one.
    There is no broad brush stroke covering pickup owners.
    Some reasons stated previously are shots at an unapproved lifestyle. Don't want a truck? Don't buy one.

3. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

And when you actually use what it has, it's all about "utility".

Granite and ceramic, cement board and thin set, if it sinks the truck to where it starts creaking and the wheels almost rub - I haul it.

BTW, unless it has an 8 foot bed - it's kinda not a pickup truck.:lol: (Those things where the front of the truck is as long as the back and the bed cover never gets unsnapped ? Those are SUV's...)

2002 F150 8ft 4x4 (I only got the 4wd because when they finally found me an 8 ft bed from some other dealer's stock after a month of looking, that's what it had).

4. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

read the OP. he isn't talking about you.

5. camatillo

camatillo Tele-Meister

I am a proud owner of a Hyundai Elantra, that being said I used to own PU trucks most of my life. My opportunities to pick up free machinery are gone, I can't haul that slab of Mahogany bought at a ridiculously low price anymore. I can't move out of my house without renting box trucks, I have no flexibility in carrying anything. I miss my Diesel Dodge extended cab Pu. I couldn't afford the diesel anymore,
    ($600 a month commuting cost) I took a beating when I sold it, diesel was $5.00 a gal at the time. I almost cried. It felt like losing all my options. You can't imagine how attached you can be to the options aspect of the truck. Your truck is the best girlfriend you will ever have, does what you ask of it and never complains. Well that's one mans opinion anyway. LOL

6. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Do you watch TV? You're really not a man unless you have one.

My wife is from Williston by the way. She was just out there to deal with her mother who had a bad fall.

7. Justinvs

Justinvs Poster Extraordinaire

So much depends on where you live, what you do and what your ideas of recreation are. If you live in snow country or need a utility vehicle for work a truck makes perfect sense. If you hunt or fish or snowmobile a truck is all but essential. But as a personal vehicle I'll take a car any day.

It's sort of like owning a bike. We all pretend we ride for the economy a bike offers, but truth is we just like tooling down the highway on a bike!

Justin

8. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Ad Free Member

There are plenty of folks who buy 'em as work trucks (I was one about 25 years ago, had a Ford F150 full of tools when I was a trim carpenter), but there certainly are a lot of folks out there driving pickup trucks who never (or almost never) have any need for their particular capacities and who would be just as well served by driving a little economy car.

It's all about image, I think. Those guys (and gals) buy pickup trucks for the same reason other guys (and gals) buy expensive sports cars and then just use them to commute to work. They use the vehicle to project to others and reinforce to themselves a particular image.

But hey, you can say the same thing about guitars and amps for a significant portion of the folks who buy them. How many times have you seen a band (or guys at a jam) and discovered that the guy with the amazing equipment can't hardly play (or been amazed to find that the guy with equipment most of us here wouldn't consider usable can make beautiful music with it)?

Tim

9. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

A good and probably accurate view. I was glad to get rid of pickups when I didn't need them and rent one a few times a year but I also grew up with them and used to have a Kenworth.

I get your last point. By coincidence our back yard neighbors, close friends and our family are more the do stuff than have stuff families (we do have stuff too). I noticed some will talk about their stuff when we talk about our skiing, river running, biking, sorts of stuff. It stood out when we're talking about conquering a particularly challenging mtn bike ride and a overweight non-riding friend interjected with the capabilities of his SUV and GPS. At first I thought ???? because gear was not really the topic. Think discussing the thrill of a great jam vs saying you got a bigger amp.

10. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I use my V6 F150 for work. Have a crossbed tool box and haul appliances, wood, pipe, and whatever else I need to earn some money. Only cost $20K 12 years ago.

Can't speak for the cubicle queens who buy the huge 4WD diesel pecker extensions to commute in :D

11. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

My wife and I have a Jeep that we share. I work at home, she works a two block walk away. I am lazy and have no desire to build a house, or do much heavy work anymore since I quit construction. But I do want a pickup truck. I feel the "potential" is there.:lol:

12. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I have two a 96 tacoma and a 2004 F150, I was going to sell the tacoma when I bought the F150 . but the fuel cost just started getting so high I kept the toyota. So now I have a F150 with 27,000 miles but am thinking of selling them both and getting another newer Tacoma. But for every day use I thinking my 62 Honda is the way to go.

Attached Files:

13. Mark Moore

Mark Moore Tele-Afflicted

You can't haul stuff in a Mini Cooper.

14. Rasmuth

Rasmuth Tele-Afflicted

pickup trucks = expensive

expensive to buy and feed

15. tfsails

tfsails Friend of Leo's

Pickup trucks are probably the most versatile vehicles on the road. I have a Toyota Tacoma that's my daily driver. Put a ton or so of dirt in the back and it rides like a '59 Cadillac.

16. gypsymoth

gypsymoth Tele-Meister

because they get tired of bumping their heads loading stuff into a van.
    because more than two dirtbikes in a van gets difficult.
    because more than three people in a regular pickup gets tickets.
    because it's a drag to get stuck in sand or snow after unloading dirtbikes or snowmobiles. edit - or slide backwards down a slick boat ramp.
    I don't have one, but I can sure think of a lot more good reasons to. if you can't it says more about you than it does about the people who do.

17. ESQUIRE JR

ESQUIRE JR Tele-Meister

Bad Ass! Any more pics? :cool:

18. jimbach

jimbach Tele-Holic

Never owned one, but I've driven one a couple of times. I have no use for one, but then again, I barely have a use for the car I own.

19. Norton72

Norton72 Tele-Afflicted

I've had pickups. Currently my motorcycle is my transportation, but I want another truck, a very specific truck. A 1969 F250 Ranger with 360/390 4-speed 4WD. I don't need 4WD often, but I've gotten stuck twice on my own property and had to pull my truck out with a tractor so, I need it.

20. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

a pickup is my daily driver. its handy. i've never bought a new one... i always drive 10+ year old vehicles.. i don't get the fascination with spending 50k on a truck that is primarily used as a commuter vehicle.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.