What's the deal with Esquire's?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by JCzuR98, Sep 5, 2015.

1. JCzuR98

JCzuR98 TDPRI Member

Hey guys, I'm new to Tele's (in fact, guitars in general) and don't want to come off as ignorant, but what's the deal with Esquire's? You might never use the neck pickup, but it's nice to have it their in case you used it, right? Instead of 3 different sounds that can come off your guitar (neck, neck+bridge, bridge) You only have one. Is it a price thing? Maybe you enjoy the look of them? Any insight and reasons would be appreciated.

P.S: Don't want to offend anyone with this post.

2. Factotum

Factotum TDPRI Member

+1. Also looking for some insight into this. I'm guessing it's a nostalgia/mojo thing and has little to do with the technical capabilities. But I could be wrong.

3. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

You still get 3 sounds with the esquire.
    1. Cap to make the sound less trebly, more bassy
    2. 'Normal' tele bridge
    3. Bypassed tone control

of course, you dont have to wire it like that. You could use a 'no load' tone for example, and then make the 3rd position a passive bass cut, for a different tone. Since the pot will already be bypassed on '10' in all positions, when using a 'no load' tone.

You could also add more cap options to change the resonant frequency of the pickup and move the resonant frequency down, closer to that of a P-90 or a humbucker. The stock cap, in the front position usually has a lot of high end cut, and creates a dark sound

Then there's the fact that an esquire may have a tapped single coil, or even some sort of humbucker, which opens up more wiring options and tones.

Not having a neck pickup means not having magnetic pull there. Due to the neck pickup's placement, magnets have a greater effect on string dampening in this position, compared to a bridge pickup. Less magnetic pull means better potential intonation, and a longer natural sustain, from the strings.

I think for some people it is the vibe of the guitar, but some people like what the esquire does and dont feel they need a neck pickup. Same reason every tele isn't a 'nashville' with 3 pickups. More isn't necessarily, 'better'

4. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I used to think why an Esquire instead of two pickups ... until I modded an Epiphone Junior. Stock was a single humbucker. I installed a different humbucker in it that I split with a push-pull switch on the tone knob and get either a humbucker or a single coil option. Then I built two Esquire-esk guitars with a 3 position on/on/on switch to get Strat/Tele/Les Paul bridge pickup tones out of one pickup.

This video got me interested in modding that first Epi Jr and lately I'm building an Esquire. Listen to how much he gets out of "just" a single coil pickup:

if you don't watch the whole thing, at least skip to 2:45 range. "I want to show you what you can get with just the velocity of your pick".

5. Serenity23

Serenity23 Tele-Holic

I love Esquires. I found i wasn't using the neck pup on Tele's, so what's the point of having it? I get all the tones i need by using the tone and volume controls, and Esquires have the tone pot bypass option, which gives you a little more output and treble response. I've never really found Esquires to be limiting. Also, having a neck pickup, the magnet still affects feel and harmonics even when not in use. And yeah, i love the look of them. Equires give me everything i want, and are stripped of everything i don't need.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
  6. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

There's definitely something to be said for wringing great tones out of the bare essentials.

7. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

Why have you put an apostrophe in Esquires? :twisted:

8. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

That's easy. It's what provides the 4th tonal option. Of course it can be "load or "no load" as well. ;)

9. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Okay, maybe I'm just in a bad mood to start with. But for Pete's sake, the plural of Esquire is Esquires - not Esquire's.

10. Serenity23

Serenity23 Tele-Holic

Grammar police are out in force today

11. fakeocaster

fakeocaster Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

It's mostly that they look cool

12. rolloman

rolloman Tele-Holic

ye'p unfortune atel'y :twisted:

13. chrisj1602

chrisj1602 Tele-Meister

I used to have a 59 Esquire Relic and it is possibly the best guitar I have ever owned.

I loved having a single pickup, you can get a lot of sounds out of it with the volume and tone alone. Then there's a lot of options with the 3 way which can be modded in a number of ways (I did the eldred mod on mine).

I've got a Tele at the moment but I want to put a partscaster Esquire together very soon.

14. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

I'm a broad church.

My Teles have at least 4 tones because I put 4 way switches in.

On the other hand, I love my one pickup guitars, I love to go the other way and use not only controls, but also playing style to get a variety of sounds.

An Esquire with a setting that sends the output straight to the amp is a thing to behold, IMO.

I have an LP Jnr, and another single pickup Gibson (plus a Hello Kitty strat) and I love their simplicity, but an Esquire conversion is next on my project list.

15. 13ontheB

13ontheB Tele-Afflicted

I put a GFS Lil Puncher in mine. ;)

16. HotDan!

HotDan! Friend of Leo's

All good points. Nostalgia certainly comes in to play as the sound was 50's country back in the day. Many great players have incorporated t 'that' sound, that specific tone into legendary recordings throughout the years. I don't own one but I love 'em. I expect I'll have one some day...

17. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Esquires are sublime and esoteric objects.

18. CodeBlue

CodeBlue Tele-Holic

I think this pretty much says it. I would love to own one but for some reason you rarely see them in the wild. Maybe they sell really fast or just don't get ordered at the retail stores?

19. L50EF15

L50EF15 TDPRI Member

Does anyone use the stock wiring? I love the Tele neck pickup and I understand that the front position on an Esquire approximates that tone.

20. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Grammers police or Esquire's?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.