1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Whats the deal with ARION SCH-1 Chorus $100.00 +

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by ramseybella, Feb 26, 2007.

1. stechmann

stechmann Tele-Meister

Landau & Henderson

People like like Scott Henderson and Michael Landau both uses a Arion SCH-1
    chorus and that's one of the reasons the prices has gone up and up.

2. Manolian

Manolian Tele-Meister

That's right, although the ones used by them is modified. ;)

3. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

You can get some very funky, almost synthy, sounds from them - but that seems a bit steep. I sold mine for about £30 a couple of years ago, and that seemed about right.

4. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

We used to sell those in the 80's as the entry level line... much like the Behringer 300 series pedals are today (just bought the tremolo/auto pan TP300). I really didn't care for the chorus or delay at all... They were one of the first to offer a tuner pedal though and that was pretty cool..

https://soundcloud.com/4pickupguy

"It's the wishin' boot...just believe it's true...it's hope in the form of a little ol' dirty boot... " -Wishin' Boot-

5. czech-one-2

czech-one-2 Friend of Leo's

Yeah, I remember when you couldn't give those away. You have to see the humour in everybody clamoring to to get one because a guitar hero uses one.
    But...they do sound good!

6. Mr Mxyzptlk

Mr Mxyzptlk Tele-Meister

Well, since this thread was recently revived, I figured I'd answer this eight-year-old question, for the benefit of future readers if nothing else: Both American Guitar Supply and Allparts sell Arion knobs and battery covers. The replacement battery covers are solid blue, and are generic; one cover fits all pedals.

7. noname_dragon

noname_dragon Tele-Holic

Mine is a $20 Florida pawn shop special. It is more vibrato-like than my other chorus units.... really dramatic and cool. It has a haunting, primitive sound: more focused and sparse. There seems to be less of the direct signal in the sound than most chorus pedals, therefore revealing more of the modulated pitch... hence the vibrato effect. Capable of really fast speed and deep depth for totally whacked-out sound!! High speeds are in raygun territory. The deep and slow speed sounds are nice and chewy...the Tone knob is great at around 10 - 11 o'clock. This great control makes the Arion SCH-1 versatile. It adjusts the whole sound, not just the chorused part of the mix, as on the Boss CE 5. Two good settings are: 1... low speed and higher depth, and 2...medium speed and low depth. Reasonably quiet and fair bypass. I'd call this spooky low-tech pedal a psychedelic vibe/chorus.

8. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

9. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Poster Extraordinaire

Never played a SCH-1, but I had an Arion 'Fat' Chorus, as well as an Arion Stage Tuner at one point. I don't believe the Fat Chorus is drastically different from the SCH-1.

I actually picked up the Fat Chorus during the period where SCH-1s were at the pinnacle of their cult classic status, due to the Landau/Henderson associations. I snagged the Fat for next to nothing and sold it a few years later for a nice profit.

The tone knob is a big part of the Arion's versatility. During that period I had a LOT of classic chorus boxes to compare to. The Arion is definitely its own animal, but, while not necessarily nailing the tones of other classic boxes, this tone knob would allow it to at least get within the ballpark of, for instance, the thick swirl of Boss pedals, or the clear, pristine detail of the old TC Electronic SCF.

If memory serves, Scott Henderson and Michael Landau favored the Arion largely for its vibrato/faux Leslie capabilities, which it does quite well. As noted by a previous poster, the Arion will go very fast, and very deep. Many other notable garden variety, standard size stomps, such as Boss and Ibanez, came up a bit short on available rate of speed needed to successfully grok the faster fake Leslie sounds. Can't speak to any potential connections, but Robert Keeley began offering a mod for Boss CE-2s called the 'HIFI & speed mod' which, among other things, modified the available rate of speed at both extremes of the dial.

So in a nutshell, the knobs really are the story. The Arion simply offered a greater range than many others of its ilk. The bypass is less than great, and the plastic box is not exactly confidence-inspiring. But they do sound wonderful, and somewhat unique. There was a big trend several years back to rehouse these in sturdy Hammond boxes and true bypass them. I would speculate that the "reboxing" trend of that period (although certainly not new) owed much of its acceleration to the popularity of the plastic Danelectro and Arion boxes.

There was (is?*) a company called Vertex Effects that offered its Vertex "Landau Mod" Arion Stereo Chorus; basically it added a true bypass switch, and even more low end and warble, supposedly matching Michael's #1 Arion. *For unrelated reasons, Vertex got itself into hot water with the stompbox community due to some questionable ethical decisions, and I've no clue what the status of the company is at this point.

10. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

11. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

I sold a grey box SCH-1 on eBay recently. Got $110 Australian for it (picked it up for $35 in 2009/10). I had it on my board for a couple of years. They are popular mainly because of the Henderson-Landau connection -- those guys used them for a faux Leslie sound. The SCH-1s are okay but a bit sterile in tone. If you can find a Rockteck they are similar but a bit better. Personally though I prefer my Biyang Tone fancier Chorus, or my Dano Fab Chorus. Total internet hype on the SCH-1s -- save your money or sell for a profit.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.