What's the "Comfortably Numb" of country guitar pickin'?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by RadioFM74, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Toast

Toast Tele-Meister

I know that when I first tried to think of a great country guitar solo, the first 8 notes of Fulsom Prison Blues kept repeating in my mind. I've listened to a lot of country music, but it seems like country guitar solos, as much as I like them, haven't had the same impact on my consciousness of country music as they have on my sense of Rock n' Roll. I think the genres of rock and country are different in odd ways. I'm sure mandolins are used in rock music, but in my mind, a mandolin doesn't really fit easily into a rock n' roll song. Country music, in my opinion, is more of a collective style of music where solos and individualism are less prominent (that's one of the reasons I like country music so much). Country music is a lot less self-conscious than RnR, in my opinion, and because of that country music solos don't separate themselves easily from the entirety of the song they're embedded in.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  2. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Your assessment of the solo is not the general consensus. As for impact, I'm not talking about impact on the music industry. I'm talking about the emotional response from the individual listening to the song. Also, the solo on Folsom Prison Blues doesn't evoke for me the loneliness of being stuck in prison, or the regret felt by the singer for killing a man. Maybe it does for you, but then that's the nature of this thread. For some, the solo on Smoke on the Water might resonate with them more than Gilmour's. For others, it's the solo on Telegraph Road.

3. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Meister

I don't know... I don't speak for the masses.

Folsom Prison is about a guy watching the train go by imagining being aboard it instead of a cell... not about despair. Perkin's "train time" rhythm is perfect! The riff is the lament.

Again Comfortably Numb is a floating almost ethereal piece interrupted by that scratchy over produced solo... Gilmour is trying to hard on that one to my ears.

I'll disagree again and say WAY more people recognize the Perkins riff/solo than the Gilmour solo. WAY more guitarists influenced by that song than CN. Heck more people probably like Kanye West so popularity a non starter...

Nothing to do with liking more or better... but we're talking about Perkins shining moment with an average Gilmour solo

Perkins simple approach outshines the over wrought Gilmour CN solo. Change discussion to Wish You Were Here and I'll have a different opinion.

TEX

4. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

I completely agree.

5. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Afflicted

Just to clarify - as @kelnet pointed out this thread is not about country guitar solos that are literally comparable to Comfortably Numb. It's just about listing (or better posting) the country guitar solos that for whatever reason you consider to be a pinnacle of the art (or, equally well, you consider to be "classics" whether you love them or not).

So they don't have to be in a minor key, they don't have to be on a slow piece, don't have to feature a Strat, effects or anything of the kind.... they just have to be outstanding. Long or short, old or recent, dazzling or simple... all work for me.

Plenty of great stuff so far. Keep 'em coming!

(About the discussion on the merits of the Comfortably Numb solo: I referred to it because IIRC it has achieved #1 in polls on "what's the greatest guitar solo ever" and is unquestionably one of the most famous rock guitar solos. I personally like it a lot and think it's the perfect close for the song BUT there are many other solos by Gilmour that I like better, especially from WYWH and Dark Side. But again: this thread is NOT about Comfortably Numb as such, or Gilmour's soloing skills).

6. rangercaster

rangercaster Friend of Leo's

Danny Gatton "Heartaches by the number" on Youtube ... No b-bender ... No whammy bar ... Just a tele ... And he plays two solos ...

RadioFM74 likes this.
  7. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Afflicted

Uh … that’s gonna take plenty of transcribing ;)

8. DugT

DugT Tele-Holic

This thread is not about Comfortably Numb! But it got me curious about the lyrics. Supoosedly most people believe it is about heroin but it is actually about the bass player who had the flu and felt too sick to play an impending concert to the point of having staqe fright. He got a big dose of a tranquilizer which explains, "Hands feel like two balloons" which exaserbated his stage fright. More details are here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Comfortably_Numb

I think the solo matches the context well. It is a heavily traquilized panic attack.

RadioFM74 likes this.
  9. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Afflicted

Just to keep the ball rolling, here’s another nomination. This one will raise some eyebrows … yeah, Disney soundtrack. Still, I believe that the guitar work is sublime and possibly the tastiest I’ve heard from Brad Paisley. I’ve just transcribed the whole thing – intro, fills, solo – and there’s so much to learn.

PS: great use of the tonal possibilities of a tele. Stingy when it has to be, sweet when called for.
    PPS: also a nice and easy song to practice your Eldon-comping chops!

ndcaster and DugT like this.
  10. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

early Hank has great steel solos, but Zeke nailed this one on guitar

starting at 0:49

Jimmy Bryant blew the curve for everyone. Here he is, spanking young, in 1950:

RadioFM74 likes this.
  11. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

Duelling Banjos

RadioFM74 likes this.
  12. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

peteb likes this.
  13. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Afflicted

Eh … here we go again :p

14. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

something slow, overplayed, and boring?

is it wagon wheel?

15. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Afflicted

Umm … it’s a safe bet that you did not take the time to read the original post nor post #65 right above here before posting. But thanks for the contribution!

DugT likes this.
  16. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

i just don't think much of pink floyd. they remind me too much of people i didn't like in high school, and i think they're boring.

i keep hearing syd barret era is better but i have such a distaste for better known floyd that i haven't been able to bring myself to check it out.

17. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Afflicted

That’s fine, but the whole thread is about: what the most classic country guitar solo in your opinion? Regardless of how you feel about PF. Sorry for picking Comfortably Numb as an exemplar of a famous rock guitar solo ;)

DugT likes this.
  18. DugT

DugT Tele-Holic

Based on this thread, I wonder if there are fewer iconic guitar leads in country music? If there are, I have three theories why. One is that in country music, many of the leads are performed with slide guitar and violin which are tough competition for guitar because of their Slide ability. Another potential reason is rock guitar leads are traditionally more dramatic. Whereas country leads seem to be faster, like chicken pickin, and less emotional. Maybe for that reason they have less of a "Hook".

My third reason is I think country music is more lyric oriented. Clean clear lyrics are more prevalent in Country music but that is often not a priority in rock.

By the way, I love this song. I'd heard of Brad Paisley but didn't know anythign about him. Now I'm a fan and want to see him in concert.

RadioFM74 likes this.
  19. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Afflicted

… or maybe I chose the wrong title and should only have asked: what’s your favorite example of country guitar pickin’? :lol:

It’s a bit of a puzzle for me as well anyway. In at least some styles of country guitar soloing “chops” seem to be massively important – something that I can compare only to the competitive cultures of bebop or, to take an example closer to guitarists, ‘80s shredders. So you’d expect there to be a rather big amount of solos that are famous at least among aficionados – perhaps bigger than what we’ve seen so far in this thread.

Anyway, I’ve discovered some very nice things, and rediscovered others. My list of “country solos I love” and “country soloists I love” got longer and I’m very grateful.

Oh by the way: no-one mentioned Marty Stuart so far?

Nor Steve Wariner for that matters…

Nor Redd… our very own Redd!

… I’d love to hear someone chime in on their favorite solos from these three … and Bill Kirchen, etc!

20. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.