What's the "Comfortably Numb" of country guitar pickin'?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by RadioFM74, Jul 4, 2019.

1. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

I don't know this "Comfortably Numb" song

is it a current hit?

2. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

it's that song that currently has 201,353,118 views on Youtube :)

DonM likes this.
  3. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

Ok, this lept to mind. If there ever was a country Equivalent Confortably Numb solo its this one. Same emotional intensity, same spacial type sound and one of Brads best.. 2:10 & 3:41

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    RadioFM74, Stratohacker and tvvoodoo like this.
  4. GuitarKid

GuitarKid Tele-Holic

This is the best piece of music I have heard in a long, long time. It's refreshing. Thanks.

5. Zipslack

Zipslack Tele-Meister

No solo, but classic licks, and EVERY country fan knows it. After all, it is the perfect country & western song.

Feel free to close this thread now...you can't top this.

RadioFM74 likes this.
  6. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

Wow people, this thread is becoming everything I hoped it to be and then some more. Many I knew, but many I didn’t and I’m looking forward to listening to some really good music.

For my part, I’ll add this little gem by Mr. Skaggs himself. When he wields a tele, magic happens…

Keep ‘em coming!

7. Rumblur

Rumblur Tele-Meister

so are we just going to throw out solos we like or are we going to name what the OP asked for - the most classic of all classic country music guitar solos?

and the winners are :

50's - El Paso

60's - Buckaroo (could be tied with a ZILLION songs, especially more Buck and Hag records)

70s - EBAD

80s - Highway 40 Blues

90s - who cares? it all sucked. Strats and chorus pedals!

My reasons for picking these : I've heard a million guys nail them. They are as important to the song as the lyrics. If you hear the guitar - you know the song instantly. And, they still inspire to this day.

I'm not saying these are the BEST of all time, just the most ICONIC.

For the record - I have never been a fan or impressed with Zep or Floyd, but I get the point.

Allan Allan, RadioFM74 and peteb like this.
  8. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I never knew that was James Burton on that. No wonder I've always loved that one. Also, Roy Buchanan did that song on one of his albums and did an almost identical job on it.

9. stanger

stanger Tele-Meister

I second East Bound and Down. Reed doubled the guitar lead in 2-art harmony using a Tele, and the best Nashville session banjo player ever, Bobby Thompson, did the same on the banjo break.
    They were the only two aces who could pull that off. Reed was a studio man for a long time, and Bobby was a studio man only his entire career.

But I have to say Vince Gill comes very close to Reed in chops. I saw Vince live in 1990, and he's as fast, slick and clean as it gets. Reed and Gill both loved the fast stuff the best.
    regards,
    stganger

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
    RadioFM74 and Rumblur like this.
  10. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

:confused: .... Brent Mason was the man for the majority of the 90's.... it was mostly Telecaster along with an amp rack most would die for.

It was the 80's that was loaded with strats and chorus with the exception of Albert Lee, Ray Flacke, Pete Anderson and very few others. There is also a period in the 80's where amps were pretty much non existent.... not even amp sims, just a guitar plugged directly into a rack of effects then into the console :cry:.

BTW.... I agree with your list in general, just not that statement I quoted :)

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
    RadioFM74 and Rumblur like this.
  11. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

Some good iconic solos that overshadow the lyrics and chorus, but still no ballads or slower numbers in the country vein. I never thought about it, but there doesn't seem to be a pattern of great tele or guitar soloing in the slower country catalog whereas there are lots in the rock catalog. Now if we talk pedal steel, there are quite a few. I might suggest, by the time slow material became popular in country, the pedal steel stole the show with the ability to moan and cry. Rock can moan and cry with any guitar with gain thanks to sustain, and if that's not enough, they pick up a slide - just like a pedal steel. Notice Comfortably Numb has a saturated, sustaining strat. Thanks for a thought-provoking thread.

12. CCK1

CCK1 TDPRI Member

Never heard Roy's version, very, very good. Brings to mind what I call my "Telecaster Years". Around '74 to about '77. I wanted to BE Roy Buchanan. Didn't even get close, but that's OK, nobody else has either. Thanks Texicaster for the post!

13. Rumblur

Rumblur Tele-Meister

Reed was a one of a kind and nobody can cover him or top in - in fingerstyle. But flat picking Gill is better at that style.
    I stopped listening to the radio completely when Billy Ray Cyrus and grunge came out. I just caught what was on TV for the few moments I accidentally happened upon such. I love Brent Mason and all those great pickers.. I just hate those producers who insist on "that sound". And yeah, you're very right... the 80s was when that sound was born... I avoided it then as well. It's my Macho Grande.. and I'll never get over it! :)

14. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

If we're going to focus on solos, then I'll give a nod to Sneaky Pete.

Stratohacker likes this.
  15. Mrbob135

Mrbob135 Tele-Holic

I like the last three minutes of this one...

This one has a nice slow groove, and a great outro solo. Keith’s voice is pretty rough on this version, but his playing seems none the worse for wear....

RadioFM74 likes this.
  16. Mrbob135

Mrbob135 Tele-Holic

And speaking of Vince Gill, here he is ripping ir up with sting on a Police classic...is there anything he can’t play?

17. Stratohacker

Stratohacker Tele-Afflicted

Johnny Hiland is a great picker

But he's also got some great instrumentals that cross genres.

RadioFM74 likes this.
  18. Mrbob135

Mrbob135 Tele-Holic

And another of Paisley’s best....

19. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Comfortably Numb isn't riff-based either. The thread is about guitar solos that have become legendary for how good they are, for their emotional impact combined with virtuosity and tone. The Gilmour solo has also become his defining moment, the one solo that everyone points to as the highlight of his career. It's kind of like Bobby Hatfield's vocal on Unchained Melody, a performance that still today wows the listener because of Hatfield's range and emotion.

I don't think the ending solo on Comfortably Numb is the greatest solo ever played, but it certainly stands out as an exemplar of the form. The guitar as a tool of emotional expression is supremely demonstrated in that song. There are times still that it brings me to tears, even though I've heard it a thousand times. I don't know if Luther Perkins has that kind of impact with Folsom Prison.

Toast and RadioFM74 like this.
  20. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Holic

I dunno...

I think Comfortably Numb not the best of Gilmour, in fact doesn't fit the song at all IMO! Way too edgy... needs more fat rain drop reverb tones. "Comfortably Numb" suggests comfortable....... While the tone of the album IS more edgy by nature the solo treats it as a continuum instead of addressing the thought the actual song. Floyd was expert at conveying emotions but this just ends up being a hot out of place solo. I find it jarring and annoying....

Luther Perkin's had/HAS WAY more impact that Gilmour! May not be as blatant but it's R&R guitar 101. You could be a GREAT rock guitarist and not know one Gilmour lick. As a country guitarist if you couldn't quote Perkins you'd be out of a job! Every country band better know Folsom Prison Blues. Period!

That's impact!

BTW I spin PF about 20:1 over Cash....I can hardly get through and entire Cash album but will stop my day for another turn at Dark Side...Gilmour one of my favorite guitarists!

If there's a bigger tone hound than Gilmour its Cooder!

Toast likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.