1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What's the closest tone-wise to a gig-worthy SFVC?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by rob w jackson, Mar 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rob w jackson

rob w jackson Tele-Meister

I'm enjoying my old Weber-equiped silverface Vibro Champ big-time, while the Vibrolux Reverb is in for service, and I can't help myself thinking "boy, if I could find the same tone in something that was gig-able...". The Champ's got the P8Q speaker in, and the preamp valve is a particularly juicy sounding Mullard that I "rescued" from another amp. Power valve is a Harma from Watford Valves. I'm hitting the front-end pretty hard with an AnalogMan Juicer into a Little Lanilei spring 'verb. Trust me, this doesn't sound like 6W - it's HUGE and way "too loud" for the house past 3. Maybe I should just get another one, or two...:)

Anyone heard a louder version of a SF "Champ"? Thanks, -RobW.

2. JDO

JDO Tele-Holic

i haven't heard of anything that sounds like a champ but louder. i have heard of people running a few of them together (big cookie said at one time he had 7 tweed champs chained together) or some on the ax84 site have talked about building parallel se amps. in this they would run 2 or 3 power tubes in parallel. that's all i can really think of for you. either that or mic it.

3. Big Cookie

Big Cookie RIP

Champs

Champs are about the biggest of the true single ended class A amps with a Fendery tone stack. My solution back when I was in college was to run a bunch of em all at once. This would be a solution for you as would miking the Champ if your PA and monitiors are up to it.

4. rob w jackson

Thanks Big Cookie - I'll give it a go

I've got a solo gig this weekend, and I'll have the chance to take a couple of amps and some spare time so I'll try mic'ing the VC. If that goes OK, I've got a band type gig the following night...

I'm keeping a look-out for another one of these in the meantime, although prices in the UK for a SFVC have already gone a bit silly - £350 (pounds sterling) for example!!! That's £125 more than I spent a year and a half ago.

5. Kevin Nybo

Kevin Nybo TDPRI Member

"So, you dig the single-ended 6V6 sound but a Champ or Princeton just isn't loud enough for your needs? Here's a project for you!!!"
    http://www.angela.com/catalog/how-to/Super.SE.6V6.html This is basicly 2 Champs running in parallel.

I've been considering this regular Champ/Princeton project myself. It's explained and laid out a lot better for a good "first amp project". There's a nice simple-to-read schematic drawn out towards the bottom. http://www.angela.com/catalog/how-to/Single.6V6.html

Of course, if your amp is in for service, you're probably not the amp builder type either. :) Maybe someone else will find the information interesting.

6. rob w jackson

Very cool - I wonder if it sounds as good as they say?

Cheers Kevin, and yeah, I'm no amp builder that's for sure! I have enough trouble finding, never mind replacing the fuse :) I'm lucky to know some good techs though, so I may well swing this by them. Hmmm, you've got me thinking now, and just as I was having an amp clearout sale too! :)

7. mk

mk Tele-Meister

The Princeton is the next step up, but you're right, it doesn't really sound the same. The easiest is to run two of them, or if you're close to what you need, just run it through another cab -- a 4 ohm 2x10 would sound huge (well, comparatively).

8. mpoley

mpoley TDPRI Member

Consider a THD Hotplate. It allows partial-total attenuation. It also has a variable output that you can send to any other amp and get your tone. Mark

9. gtrjones

gtrjones Tele-Holic

I have done this... the champ through the vibrolux cab - it is definately HUGE... lotsa fun...

10. Big Cookie

Big Cookie RIP

Loud Champ

I have gigged with a Champ run thru a rewired (to 4 ohms) Marshall 1960A 4x12 cab. It was plenty loud enuf.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.