What's the cheapest you ever bought or traded for a guitar?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Zoso420, Jul 23, 2021.

1. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Friend of Leo's

WOW!!!

But why did you have to let it go BB? WHY oh WHY?

I even feel bad you don't have that guitar anymore. :cry:

Fendereedo and brookdalebill like this.
  2. rojo412

rojo412 Tele-Meister

I traded “stopping my car and pulling the instrument from the garbage pile” for a Squier Strat a couple years ago. Maybe not the most intriguing or profitable deal, but no regrets on that one.

Fendereedo, MTPoteet, Bill and 2 others like this.
  3. Zoso420

Zoso420 Tele-Meister

SCORE!!

Fendereedo, Blackmore Fan and rojo412 like this.
  4. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Free: A gutted out Global-brand 1970 MIJ by Ibanez for free at the curb. It was a mess, basically the body and neck are all that remain original.

Free, sort of: another guitar trade the seller asked 'I'll throw this extra guitar in too', a mystery Strat-Like-Object relic'd by several prior owners, including splinters, needed a fret level, and a lot of other work including softening the relic damage to feel like it was an old old guitar. This gets played often. It taught me to actually like and enjoy playing relic guitars.

$15: bought a First Act acoustic (top end version with double bound body and neck), traded that for an Epiphone Junior. The Junior needed a fret level but after that and setup it's been one of my most frequent players.

Here's the Global LP
    [​IMG]

The Relic
    [​IMG]

And the Junior
    [​IMG]

Fendereedo likes this.
  5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

No big deal, it’s just stuff.
    I sold it about 2 years later, I tripled my money, but I had no way of knowing it would appreciate so much.
    I’ve always been a player, not a businessman.
    Financial acumen is not my long suit, obviously.
    I live (and die, probably) with a guitar or bass in my hands.
    I still love it as much as when I was young, and I’ll do it till body quits, or the phone quits ringing.
    It still rings every day!

Fendereedo and Controller like this.
  6. brookdalebill

366D8DFD-5C0A-4A92-8B88-3B1B5FE46C64.jpeg I have a second best deal.
    In 1975, when I was 18, I bought a blonde 1963 Epiphone Texan for $75 and a BF Princeton Reverb.
    I bought it from Aces Pawn Shop on 1st St. (now Cesar Chavez), where my Dad worked, doing electronic repairs.
    I lost it about 25 years later.
    I bought another one last year, this time in sunburst.
    Old one, and new one.
    1C7D5DD0-15CD-4C17-B9F1-1FE0483CE911.jpeg

Fendereedo and Texsunburst59 like this.
  7. grayback

grayback TDPRI Member

I bought a Squier Bullet Strat from ShopGoodwill for $40.
    Just needed strings and a cleaning.

Fendereedo likes this.
  8. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Tele-Afflicted

I once bought several (one at a time) Squier Strats (Affinity and SEs). I paid $50-$75 for most of them. In retrospect, they were all "fine" guitars. But they were never going to be serious players without modification, and they were all gone shortly thereafter. Sometimes I just get bored.

Fendereedo likes this.
  9. Turtleneck

Turtleneck Tele-Holic

I won a really nice bass guitar from a friend on a backgammon game bet.

Fendereedo, Zoso420 and Blackmore Fan like this.
  10. SGE1967

SGE1967 Tele-Meister

A few years ago I had a boss I didn't like. He was also one of those bosses who wanted to be your friend.

Anyhoo, turns out he always wanted to play electric guitar, so his wife (who became his ex after she found out he was shagging his PA... Told ya, nice guy, this...) bought him a guitar for his birthday. He was always a bit sketchy on what it was, "a telly-something," and apparently struggled to play it because the neck was, and I quote, "too shiny."

Fast forward a wee while and he had dropped some paperwork with me while I was off work ill. He was admiring my guitars and took a shine to a black Gretsch Electromatic which I'd impulse bought because it had a Bigsby on it. I know now all it needed was a good setup, but at the time I hated it because it just would NOT stay in tune. In fact just mentioning it here has probably sent it out of tune!

Anyway, the boss liked the look of it and offered a trade for his "Telly-something" and after ascertaining it was a Fender Telecaster of some stripe, I said "yeah, what the hell, bring it over."

Was a 2011 American Telebration Cabronita. I'd bought that Gretsch for a hundred quid or so.

Never liked him enough to 'fess up.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
    Fendereedo likes this.
  11. Bonneville Bruce

Bonneville Bruce Tele-Holic

I traded this Yamaha FG170 for a free pair of skis and bindings in 1973, so it was free to me. It still plays O.K. but there is no truss rod and the neck it bending into slide guitar status. It has been a good guitar for 48 years, it is the one I learned on.

DSC_6635.jpg

Fendereedo likes this.
  12. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

cool stories every one.

Fendereedo likes this.
  13. Texsunburst59

My '80 Gibson "Jimmy Wallace" '58 (Test Sample/Prototype) LP Standard that's 1 of 2 or 3 guitars ordered from Gibson with quilted tops per Jimmy's request.

These guitars were modeled after Jimmy's personal '58 LP, and he wanted a few samples to make sure Gibson could produce these to his satisfaction.

I bought this guitar in '84 and found out exactly what this guitar was back in '05. when I ran into Jimmy at a Vintage guitar show.
    I was just messing with you Bill.

I've read and been told in person by old musicians of the valuable vintage gems they once had,but sold off back in the day.

Who knew what value these "Just old guitars" would be worth in the future.

All we older musicians can do is to enjoy the instruments we now own, and make as much music with them as we can, until we can't anymore.

Well at least that's my goal. :D

Zoso420, Fendereedo and brookdalebill like this.
  14. Texsunburst59

I bought my 1st Gibson Les Paul back in '84 for $500, and I've owned it ever since.

I knew I had a special LP, but I never knew how special it was until I took it to an Austin Vintage guitar show back in '05.

This is where Jimmy Wallace got to see and evaluate my guitar,and tell exactly what it was.

He told me I had 1 of possibly 2-3 Test Example/Prototype LP's that he had Gibson make, that were modeled after his own vintage '58 LP.

He took his '58 to Gibson so they could spec it out, and he wanted these 1st few test run guitars to have some amazing quilt tops.

This was done to make sure Gibson would produce these guitars to his satisfaction, before he'd place his 1st bulk order of these reissues.

He admitted he should have kept at least one of these early examples,but foolishly sold them all off, and was caught of guard actually seeing one after all these years.

He asked if I was willing to sell it to him, and I told him I will never part with it.

He told me that if any vendor at this show wants to buy it, don't take less than $7K for it.

Over the years I've looked online to see if anybody who owns any of the other 1 or 2 Test Examples like mine are trying to sell them, but I've never found one for sale.

I have found a few of the very 1st run '82 "Jimmy Wallace" Quilted top LP's for sale online, and they've all been priced about $14K-$15K.

I can only guess that my guitar is worth a few dollars more than these 1st run JW guitars,because of it's rarity.

My '80 Gibson "Jimmy Wallace" '58 Prototype Quilted LP Standard:

[​IMG]

So at $500, my Gibson is definitely the most valuable for what I paid for it,but it's not the cheapest valuable instrument I've ever bought.

That honor goes to my '74 Fender Jazz bass I picked up in a pawnshop in '08 for $59.95.

'74 Fender Sunburst Jazz Bass:

[​IMG]

Zoso420, rojo412, djh22 and 2 others like this.
  15. Smokin OP

Smokin OP Tele-Afflicted

I gave a guy to the liquor store for an early 70's Princeton amp. I still have the amp, I doubt the guy has the bottle of vodka he bought.

Zoso420 and Fendereedo like this.
  16. hmemerson

hmemerson Tele-Meister Vendor Member

In 1976 I got this for $30 from the daughter of the original owner. Yes, I did tell her that fixed up it was worth a lot of money. It was cracked through the heel into both sides for several inches. I had gotten her daughter tickets to a Billy Joel concert a few weeks earlier, so I suppose she wanted to do something nice in return. We were playing at C.W.Post College just prior to 3 nights at Carnegie Hall, my last gig with Billy.
    IMG_1161.JPG

It's a 1930 Gibson TGL-5, a tenor that is documented as having been converted to 6 string at the factory in 1933. Note the 10th fret marker, traditional on tenor banjos & guitars, carried over in the conversion.

Regards,
    Howard Emerson

Zoso420, djh22, Fendereedo and 4 others like this.
  17. brookdalebill

Great story!
    I’m glad you enjoy it.
    My father had a 1928 Gibson TGL-5.
    He bought it from Aces Pawn on Lamar Blvd. circa 1984 for $250.
    Ironically, the manager of Aces called me to ask what it was worth, before my Dad bought it.
    The manager, Conrad, called me at work fairly often to consult with me on the value of guitars.
    He did not give me a model number, so I asked him three questions.
    1. Maple or mahogany, he said mahogany
    2. Trapeze tailpiece or pin bridge, he said pin bridge
    3. Arched or flat top, he said flat top
    Without seeing it, I assumed it was 60s LG series tenor, then worth about $250
    My Dad saw it and bought it.
    Upon buying it, Dad did research on it.
    It was ordered from Gibson by Johnny Lee Wills, Bob Wills’ brother.
    There’s a western movie featuring Bob Wills that shows Johnny Lee playing it while riding on a stage coach.
    It had been modified with a DeArmond “monkey on a stick pickup”, which had been removed before Dad’s purchase.
    Dad kept it for awhile, and sold it to Mac Yasuda.
    He sold it, circa 1986, for $2,500.
    I personally had no interest in it at the time, not knowing how to play tenor guitar.
    It was cool, and I do know how to play tenor, now.

Fendereedo and Texsunburst59 like this.
  18. dougstrum

dougstrum Friend of Leo's

My 1st electric $25 back in 1972.
    It was a 66 Gibson melody maker and it included a Sears silver tone amp!
    A guy I played with lived in married student housing, and his wife didn't like electric guitar:rolleyes:
    Good deal for me;)

Zoso420 and Fendereedo like this.
  19. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

In the 70s, it seemed like every flea market had a Fender or National lap steel for $20 asking price.

Both my 1954 strat and 1953 gold top were $100.

A story is told about how Stephen Stills liked going to guitar shops. After finding something that he really liked, he was going to buy it. But then Neil Young would offer $100 more. Stills countered with $100 more. And Young offered $100. And so on. Whatever the final price was, that's what Stills wound up paying. Young actually had no interest in the guitar, as he just wanted to mess with Stills.

20. hmemerson

hmemerson Tele-Meister Vendor Member

Hi Bill,
    It was converted by Gibson. It was one of a batch of 5 tenor L-5's with FON 9705. I have the documentation from Joe Spann who transcribed the original production ledgers from Gibson.

For years we thought, due to the serial number AND a Master Model label, that it was a 1927, but the FON put that to rest. I have actually seen pictures of 1 of the original tenors from the batch that was not converted.

I'd love to see some pictures of the guitar your dad had. If it was all mahogany then it's a TG-0, and if it's spruce top with mahogany back & sides it's a TG-1. Gibson would not have called it an L-5, plus they never called their flat top tenors 'L's; just TG and then the number.

......anyway......Pictures please!!

Regards,
    Howard Emerson

Zoso420, Fendereedo and brookdalebill like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.