What's the cheapest guitar you purchased, but.....?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Five Aces, Jun 1, 2021.

1. enorbet2

enorbet2 TDPRI Member

Some will hate me if not for the later modding (ewww! sacrilege) then the absolute steal of a find but from a small store in Gunnison Colorado ~1982 I bought a perfect shape Sears Silvertone Amp-in-Case guitar for 30 bux!! I forget the model number (#1479?) but it's easy to find. It's the sparkled cherry faux burst with the white masonite pickguard and two lipstick tube pickups. I'd rather show off my mods...

[​IMG]

That silly rosewood with a fret in it bridge I replaced with a brass Leo Quan stopped unit but have long considerd getting rid of the adjustable saddles for a one-piece. Tuners are Shallers on a modded headstock for straight string path (no binding). Pickups, stock but through a Strat selector switch. This photo was taken before the stacked Jazz Bass metal knobs arrived. Total expense is under $150 since the bridge or the tuners cost more than the original guitar. Oh yeah, sounds amazing! plays great... AND stays in tune

Oldsmobum likes this.
  2. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Afflicted

I have a First Act Garage Master (the Volkswagen guitar). It's actually a pretty decent guitar, and fun to play.

IMG_2725.JPG

3. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Afflicted

Harley Benton SC Junior. $230 after shipping. It's totally stock except for the gold speed knobs. Plays and sounds great.

fullsizeoutput_32a.jpeg

alnico357, beagle and Oldsmobum like this.
  4. JBurton

JBurton Tele-Meister

Well, my dad purchased it for me. One of those popular electric guitars (and the amp) that Sears Roebuck & Co sold in the early 60’s. I think they were called ‘Silvertone’?

But the cheapest guitar I ever bought was in 1975, a new USA made Fender Telecaster Deluxe for about $250.

5. lmjmitchell

lmjmitchell Tele-Meister

6. harpdog

harpdog Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Cheapest was $199 LTD BY ESP. LP shaped neck through slab with split coil humbuckers. It was OK with meh tuners and a toggle switch needed replacement.

BUT

my $265 Flow Guitars partscaster from Reverb came perfectly set up and it is great!

AA0EE2A5-976B-42E0-980F-B9B34FF95C69.png

7. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Afflicted

I'm always bragging on my $140 Douglas from Rondo. After a meticulous level & crown, rolling the fretboard edges, and setup, it's the one I play all the time. No other investment needed. Stock photo[​IMG]
    Just sold an old Kent bass I bought for $15 about 30 years ago for $250 - probably could have got more. It had a great neck, and sounded and played great. Probably original strings.

I've bought a few Squier strats for $50-100. They've all been nice guitars.

Also, a Takamine G Series acoustic I got from college girl for $60. Can't find the exact model online, but I suspect it's worth a bit more.

8. KyAnne

KyAnne Tele-Afflicted

Peavey Raptor EXP for my son on his 13 birthday. Professionally setup with low low action and had a neck and fret board that was slick as waxed glass. Sounds/sounded great too! Best guitar I've ever encountered "for the money". $150 bucks.
    p.s. Still holds tuning very well. He is 29 years of age.

9. Spontaneous

Spontaneous Tele-Meister

1980's Epiphone LP Jr. bolt on neck, paid $200 and I overpaid, one soap box P90. Sounds sweeter than any guitar I own. Not as easy to play as a strat, but I swear, somehow, it sound better than my awesome 2007 LP R8 and Wildwood strat.

10. Supereditor

Supereditor TDPRI Member

Squier Affinity Strat. Got it free with an amp I wanted. Modded some things and I play it regularly

11. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Slightly off-topic, but I did recently get a guitar I didn't want. I had an amplifier that I hated and wanted to get rid of it, and a guy was willing to trade straight across for his Peavey semi-hollow guitar. I didn't need, nor want, nor have even heard of that particular guitar but I just wanted to get the amp out of my house so I took it.

Best playing guitar I have ever owned in my entire life and it is now my #1. (Epilogue: I felt bad, because I saw that he listed that amp on Marketplace about 3 days later...)

12. Five Aces

Five Aces Tele-Meister

Some of those early Daisy Rock guitars were really good! I passed up a great deal on a 12 string Hollow Body they made... solid white (not pink) and the hardware was quality stuff! ....just was bad timing because my cash was limited at the time.

CCK1 likes this.
  13. Dan Spiffy Neuman

Dan Spiffy Neuman Tele-Holic

Almost anything from Harley Benton.

14. Rigel7

Rigel7 Tele-Meister

A Hannah Montana thing made by Washburn for $50 (Canadian) at Walmart. I bought it because the parts were Tele style and I thought I could strip it, turned out all the parts looked Tele but weren't a usable spec. So thought I'd use it to practice relicing on. The clear coat was an impregnatable shell, so I *had* to whack it with knives, solvents, and even a heat gun to try and break it down a little. It was a dark chapter.
    Later I gave it to my cousin's kid.
    Hope it's not worth anything now...

15. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

My first electric was a true "closet classic". It was a red Gibson Melody Maker. It was dinged up and had one tuner key broken off. The lady told me, as I handed her the $15, that she gave it to her son when he was 16, and it's been in a closet for years. I "fixed" it up, with an amateur refinish job and a Dimarzio Super Distortion Plus pickup. and traded it in toward my first Tele, in 1980.

16. MoHump

MoHump TDPRI Member

My first electric guitar was a Teisco J-1 I bought for $20 back in 1960. I have no idea whatever happened to it, I have a picture of it from 1969 but where it went from there is a mystery. But that was still $5 more than a paid for a Fender Jaguar clone I bought in Long Beach and sold that same day for $25. So, I know where that one went.

17. samm57

samm57 TDPRI Member

Wow, that was steal of the century. The greatest guitar player I have ever seen, Regi Wooten, plays a Japanese Squier. At that time, the Squier name was used instead of Fender. Looks amazing too!

18. Leo Paul

Leo Paul TDPRI Member

My 2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue that I bought new back then. With the discounts, it was just a bit over $300. I have no intention of doing so, but I'm pretty sure that I could sell it now for more than I paid for it. (The PRESS_NHawkCst-TA1-90e6c5b06751f92592b4b10a991ea7b9.jpg

19. benderb9

benderb9 Tele-Afflicted

bought a Furrian Liquid SX last year for $50.00 in Gumby Green that was missing the JM/Jag trem unit. Had one that was replaced from a Squire Jag upgrade. Came with a roller bridge and P-90's. Sounded decent and played ok. Soon enough the maple board neck changed out (Strat style RW board neck w/jumbo frets from Reverb), Fender Japan 62 re-issue trem, Hipshot open gear locking tuners, GraphTech nut. Still not being able to leave the damn thing alone 3 weeks ago I finally did a level/crown and rounded the fretboard edges, then pulled out a set of 70's Gibson mini-humbuckers I'd bought in the late 80's and installed them with new 500k pots, Switchcraft 3-way, .047 PIO cap and Puretone jack. Took it to a friends studio last week and everyone really dug my mongrel that played it. It's been out in the living room since getting the pups installed and played a lot. Really hangs good and easy to play sitting down. The drawback is it only fits in a Gibson gig bag. IMG_1380.JPG

Oldsmobum likes this.
  20. Loaded Goat

Loaded Goat Tele-Meister

I have three inexpensive electrics that play really well. A Seville early 80's strat copy. An Act 1 and the one that really shines is an Indio telecopy, sunburst finish with a rosewood fretboard from Monoprice. I play it more than my seven and eight hundred dollar fenders.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.