1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What's the big deal about a Tele's weight?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by texmck54, Apr 5, 2015.

1. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

Cheaper to ship....? :D

2. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire

Above 8.5 or so it is a matter of comfort and that instinctive use of the Tele tool.
    I basically put how a gtr looks way dn on the list, with sound, playability, construction
    and wt. at the top

If it sounds great above that 8.5 wt, I don't hesitate (to buy, if 'needed'...! )
    Honestly- that is probably more w budget models tho.

3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

All my old copies of those Vintage Guitar Newsletter (small newspaper type thing, 10x15 inch pages, can't remember the formal name, that I lost in Katrina, were fun reading.

I can't say any of the ads ever mentioned how much the guitar weighed. So, those of you who say you leave all the ones weighing above X pounds to the rest of us, please be patient. Yeah, you liked what you liked, but my observation was, you didn't discuss the subject with anyone else. I'm saying, the importance of weight as a discussion topic had gone from "Never Discussed, or Zero" to "Obsession, First Order of Discussion" and THAT has changed way more than the actual weights of any guitars.

Look at it this way: The recordings of you playing? When you're gone, no one in their right mind will I hope be speculating about how much Joe's Tele weighed (or Mark, name chosen at random) insofar as why Joe (or Mark) sounded like he did. That would IMO be way goofy.

+

I did remember an old timer who was telling me about the time I joined here, he liked a guitar of a certain weight but he kept his preference quiet. Kept his preference under his hat so other people would not imitate him and buy all the guitars he might like to check out and maybe buy. Why tell your buddies you're looking for a 7.4 pound guitar so when you go shopping for one, they have spread the word and they're all already sold and gone? Why mess yourself up like that? ;)

When I play guitar, I wear a pair of briefs sized (none of your business). I'm pretty sure if I wore smaller ones, I'd be very uncomfortable and my playing would suffer. Will you play better if you know what size shorts I buy? Let's get a grip on ourselves, people! :)

4. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

8lbs is about the tipping point for me. I doubt that's even "heavy" as these things go. I just know because I have an 8lb beauty that sounds great and plays great. And I don't even notice in the heat of battle. But after a 2-3 hour show or rehearsal, I can't turn my head as far as normal. Gettin old and frail I guess. Contemplating swapping the body. But it stays in tune so well, sounds so great, and plays so great I'm torn. I mean, we're talking what, a 1.5lb difference between it an my lightest Tele? And in some ways it feels a bit better. The lightest one I do have to hold the neck up a bit. Nothing's perfect, I guess.

5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

4kg is the tipping point for me (8.8lbs)

6. Tel E Twister

Tel E Twister Tele-Meister

Most folks are claiming Les Pauls are heavy, but does anyone have data to back this up by actually weighing them :?:

7. bluesfordan

bluesfordan Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

for me it is a matter not injuring my hands while handling the guitars in non playing positions. Nothing sucks worse than reaching for a guitar grabbing it by the neck and lifting it and having the edge of the fingerboard dig into one of the many tender spots that arthritis and old age have seen fit to bless me with. I haven't even played a note and already my hand is sore. The less a guitar weighs, the easier it is on my hands. My CV 50 tele weighs 8 pounds 8 ounces (8.5 lb or 3.86kg) and is at the maximum end of the spectrum. I had a Nash T63 that weighed 6 pounds 5 ounces (6.32 lbs or 2.86kg) that was much easier on the old digits. The sharpness of the edges matters, too. Relics with rolled fingerboard edges hurt my hands a lot less than a brand new crisp cornered fingerboard.

10+ pound lp customs? 12+ pound norlins? just freaking forget about it. I've had my share of 9 plus pound strats and teles so, yes, usually the first thing I want to know about any prospective guitar is how much does it weigh? This will go a long way towards how much I am willing to consider spending.

8. Bongocaster

Bongocaster Friend of Leo's

You can't weigh a Telecaster in those centipede thingies that you foreigners use. :eek:;)

9. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Poster Extraordinaire

My LP weighs around 9lb-3oz but I've heard of some weighing close to 13lbs or as light as 7lbs.

10. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Afflicted

My band puts in a 4-5 hour shift most every Tuesday night (in my buddy's basement). Heavy Tele = back pain Wednesday. Light Tele = no back pain Wednesday. Simple as that.

11. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

That and many many other topics. I like em lite as well but it's never been a deal breaker.

12. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

If we could not argue about weight, what would we discuss? Tone wood? Fretboard material? Three vs. six saddle? Capacitor values? Vintage vs locking tuners? Fretboard radius? 1 vs 2 string trees? 1 piece vs multiple piece bodies? Humbuckers vs singe coils? MIM vs MIA? MIA vs...

Just one more thing that is subjective to each person. No biggie.

13. TeleCustom2

TeleCustom2 TDPRI Member

For the first time in the five years since I got my Tele Custom, decided to weigh it because of this thread. It comes in at 7.2 lbs.

Two piece swamp ash body with walnut laminate top, one piece Indian Rosewood neck with a 7 1/4" to 9 1/2" compound radius, SRV contour, Callaham three saddle bridge...

I am no master by any stretch but it is the most beautiful looking and sounding guitar I have ever seen and heard.*

*There are sentimental/emotional issues involved here too but it is beautiful and does sound fantastic.

14. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

I once had a 71 ~ 72 Les Paul Deluxe that was somewhere around 12 lbs !

When I was in my 20's it didn't seem that heavy but I had a chance to play it again in 2009 ( my good friend still owns it ) and it felt like it weighed a ton.

It played great and it had one of the most beautiful finishes I have ever seen but it weighed a ton

Gary

15. T Bone

T Bone Tele-Meister

Negative. In the weight range we're talking about, you'll likely find there will be no difference, based on the combination of weight and the overall size of the package. But, it was a good thought.

16. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Thinking about the fact that it's a somewhat recent thing to talk about the weight of a guitar, it's also maybe similarly recent that a lot of people buy guitars online that they've never played, where 20 years ago hardly anyone would buy a guitar that way, and 10 years ago it was at least less common to buy guitars online than in shops.

Twenty years ago nobody talked about 6105 fretwire or scatter wound pickups either.
    Alnico speakers, NOS tubes, relic'ing, compensated saddles; the amount of tech spec details that get repeated with varying degrees of understanding has grown exponentially with forums and online shopping.

At least if you buy a guitar that weighs less than the one you've got you know it will be lighter.
    Can't say any other tech specs guarantee the results we might expect...

17. Tel E Twister

Tel E Twister Tele-Meister

On the "Information Super Highway", it's just another speed bump :lol:

(I think my Teles may be gaining weight, should I be concerned :p)

18. TwangToInfinity

TwangToInfinity Tele-Afflicted

whoops i just weighed my baritone tele, it is 7 3/4 so not as heavy as a figured

feels like a tank tho and is solid as heck as i like no neck pocket flex on the baritone

19. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

I can attest to the fact that heavy Teles are a lot harder (if not impossible) to sell. I have a 9 lb 60's Classic in pristine condition, looks and sounds great. After buying a 62 AVRI I tried selling it at less than $375. Unsellable.

Kept it and turned it into a monster Esquire.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.