1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What's the best meal you ever had?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Colo Springs E, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Pretty much anything my Grandmother made. Her sour cherry pie would knock your socks off! The cherries came from a tree in her front yard. No recipe remains as far as I know.

2. Viejo

Viejo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Truthfully I don't really care how food tastes. I had military training in eating bad tasting food. It is just re-fueling to me

3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

So, still no taste buds? They broke you for life?

tomkatf likes this.
  4. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Thank you for sharing your charming experience, That telling of the whole experience makes want to go there and spend some time. Honestly Conde Nast never inspired me the way your post has, thank you again,plus it seemed pleasantly romantic.

Colo Springs E likes this.
  5. Viejo

Viejo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

It seems that way I tell my wife the Navy cauterized my taste buds.

6. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

I have a friend who is a former Marine. He says basically the same thing.

7. mefgames

mefgames Friend of Leo's Double Platinum Supporter

Okay, you asked. Back in the seventies, my wife and I went on a month long vacation through Europe. One of the highlights of our trip was our cruise down the Rhine. Seems like whoever planned this trip, me, didn't realize our trip was NOT down the Rhine, but against the current. What should have been a 5 hour boat ride turned into 10 hours. Still a beautiful ride. Forward to our hotel for the night. I had figured we would have plenty of time to find a nice hotel in Mainz, but with extended hours on the river, we decided to say WTF, and stay at the Hilton $$$$. It was closing in on 9PM. Sorry, we are fully booked, but I can call another hotel for you. Within minutes, we were being shuttled over to The Mainzehof Hotel. Still a bit pricey, but an excellent Hotel. So if you're still reading this, here comes the best part. Upon checking in we asked if the they had a restaurant, and was it still open. If you hurry, they will seat you for dinner. It was almost 11PM. So, after a a very eventful day, we found ourselves sitting at the window overlooking the Rhine river sipping Reisling and having the triple filet dinner !!! Now that's living in the Grand Style !!!

stevemc likes this.
  8. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

Dungeness crab and a rib-eye steak.

brookdalebill likes this.
  9. Allan Allan

Allan Allan Tele-Afflicted

The best was when I was 15 or so and had falafel, schwarma and Hummus for the first time. It was a whole new set of flavors and food. I've been chasing the dragon ever since

10. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Afflicted

The first time I had pho at Pho 75 in Philly. Anthony Bourdain (RIP) went there in one of his shows and it was every bit as awesome as he promised.

geoff_in_nc and brookdalebill like this.
  11. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Chicken Cacciatore at Cugino's Northern Italian restaurant in Williamsville, NY USA. This is not your mom's version of chicken breasts with a jar of "spagetti sauce" over them, then baked under aluminum foil.

This was probably Frank Cugino's Serbian spin on the dish and it wasn't baked. It was a thin, but very rich meat-based sauce with chicken chunks over house-made fettuccine.

I enjoy and know what good food is. This simple dish was the best thing I've ever eaten.

12. darkwaters

darkwaters Friend of Leo's

My wife and I are big travelers and serious foodies. We've had incredible meals all over the world, but one that really stood out for us was a simple meal of shrimp, garlic, olive oil and crusty bread that we had at a little outdoor café in Seville, Spain 14 years ago. We also take lots of food pictures, so here it is:

Spain Travels 2006 - Sevilla y Granada 424.jpg

Soooo much garlic.

13. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

14. urbandefault

urbandefault Tele-Holic

Last fall, visit to Nashville, a cold and windy day, lunchtime at a sports bar near Music Row. I ordered a burger and fries, didn't expect much.

It was the best restaurant burger I've ever had. Not greasy or sloppy, perfectly cooked, just the right amount of lettuce, tomato, onion, condiments. I ordered it with pepper jack, but for the life of me I can't remember tasting it. Doesn't matter anyway, it was outstanding.

The fries were pretty good, too. ;)

15. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Can't decide. I'll let Guy Clark explain...

16. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

Apple juice and peanut butter crackers after my colonoscopy. First meal i had after 24 hours of no solids and God forsaken cleansing. Ambrosia.

17. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

I have fond memories of the tlacoyos just off the zocalo in Mexico City. Off to the side of the palace, the side the cathedral isn’t on. But that was the nineties. No idea if that street food market is still there, let alone the tlacoyos. I’ve come across things called tlacoyos a few times since but they were not the same thing.

Cheers,
    Geoff

18. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Holic

Hard to say best.So many great meals. I had a hobby for some dozen years finding the best restaurants/meals. Spent $$ on myself.I love being wined and dined! Sunday Brunch was my favorite. Went to as many different as I could find. I could say I cook better than most of those restaurants. But then, I wasn't cooking for many at once. Anyway I view cooking as a hobby.Taken many classes to get better. Can't find a pic of my most remembered meal.In a cabin under the towering pines, so. calif. A dry aged rib-eye.About #2 I think.BBq'd and sauce added thinly couple mins before removing. Temp in 134 when I pull it, wrap it and let it sit 10-15 mins. Here is another roast I cooked at the cabin. Prices don't scare me. Enjoy
    P7031743.JPG P7031744.JPG P7031750.JPG PB262694.JPG this last pic is 1 I cooked for another event.

19. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Rib Eye seared to medium rare perfection in Mom's cast iron skillet, green beans and bacon, loaded baked potato and a green salad with Good Seasons Italian dressing.

A close second would be the steak and lobster dinner with the chanterelle mushroom appetizer. Don't remember the name of the restaurant. It was in Crescent City, California with a nice ocean view and a beautiful sunset.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.