1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What's the best meal you ever had?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Colo Springs E, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Amon

Amon Tele-Meister

I can remember two dishes that blew my mind (I'm 41 and international)

the first was a tomato sauce risotto that had the best beef I had ever eaten (coming from a French style food background) The way it felt and tasted was just amazing, until someone told me it wasn't beef but sea turtle meat, which was highly illegal but locals didn't give a fart.
    Wouldn't have eaten it had I known.
    Still, handsdown best meat ever.

Second time was a kind of clear stock soup with a single floating slice of mushroom in Japan. I have no idea how they managed to squeeze so much taste and flavor out of water and mushrooms, but I ordered 2 more servings and ignored most of the main dish. The old lady owner was looking at me like I had lost my mind. They call it "o-suimono", it's just a side dish, often free with a course meal.

2. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

Fortunately I’ve had the opportunity to eat a number of great meals, and cannot think of one single great meal. However, I have had a number of great meals where one or more of four situations were present.
    1) A meal with great friends.
    2) A meal where it was the first time I had been exposed to a specific food (e.g. my first meal of Indian cuisine).
    3) A meal where something I really like is done properly (say Steak, or BBQ ribs).
    4) A great restaurant with their special (the French Laundry is on my bucket list).

There is a fifth category; food I cook special for myself. I can make a pretty decent cold tomato soup, a BBQ version of Chicken Kiev, Steaks, BBQ, Bacon-Chipotle Hummus and a not particularly special smoked sausage with sweet potatoes, apples and onions “cook in a skillet” dish that my mom taught me to make.

3. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

:eek:.. three servings of finger bowl water... no wonder the lady was surprised....:lol:

4. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's

My mother’s stuffed steak, homemade mashed potatoes with dark gravy, my grandmother’s corn casserole, fresh made Waldorf salad, mother’s homemade rolls and homemade coconut cream pie. Man, I miss that.

5. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Thailand. Street food- literally. A lunch with the ex outside a 7/11 store. A seafood Thai curry ( prawns, mussels , squid , rice etc) , iced water for what was then $0.45 AUD. Allso happened to share skewers of chicken hearts at same place with an Arab sheikh, one of the Saudi family but a minor sheikh, who was a nice guy surprised to see a Westerner like me eating offal ( my Dad had been a butcher and I'd grown up on all sorts of things.)

6. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Five days hiking in the Cascades with just the food we carried on our backs. Last two days were basically instant oatmeal. When we got to the end of the trail, there was a diner that made cheeseburgers. Best meal I ever had was a cheeseburger and greasy fries!

7. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Nothing like a burger when you're hungry...

early '79, I had just arrived back in Sydney with a friend I'd been traveling with through se Asia... I had 20 bucks left and he had 80 bucks. Enough to get us a few tickets on a Greyhound bus for the final ride back to Brisbane.
    From the airport we got a bus to Kings Cross, an inner city red light kinda night club of an evening area, pretty quiet on a weekend afternoon. We found a good old aussie burger shop, usually run by an old Italian/Greek guy with a white singlet, greasy apron, a 5 o'clock shadow, big hairy arms, surly attitude...and ordered a hamburger and some chips... those beef patties sure smelled good as they blackened on the grill.

the std burger.. toasted bun, some lettuce, tomato, slice of beetroot, beef patty, tomato sauce.... we wandered off to sit somewhere in this inner city world to enjoy them.. just a great flavour for hungry travelers...

we been living on asian style rice dishes for ages, sitting on palm lined beaches most of the time....kinda weird to see all this brick and bitumen...

I think it was my first burger for 2 1/2 years and it tasted like home... :)

8. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Afflicted

Lobster noodle. $250 for one dish! .. . but it was nice.

You even get to pick your lobster from the tank.

uriah1 likes this.
  9. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Afflicted

Sitting on the grass in a local park with my 4 year old daughter, eating ice cream from a small tub. Apparently she was a bit hot on the inside, and ice cream was the only thing that would fix it.

trev333 likes this.
  10. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Afflicted

I 've been lucky to travel a little. Three very different dishes, all street food, spring to mind.

Po' boys from a roach truck in New Orleans

Pita Gyros in Kefalonia

Something without a name from a street vendor in Nanjing. A thin wheat wrap, small thin omlette, and layered with pickes, fried dough stick and chilli sauce. Cooked on the back of a rusty tricycle. Folded like a burrito, big enough to last all day for the equivalent of 50 cents.

- I just checked....jianbing guozi. One of China's hidden secrets.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    trev333 likes this.
  11. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Holic

Dinner in a little restaurant in the center of Sienna, Italy. I had a pasta course, then fish, followed by lemoncello. It was sublime.

darkwaters and uriah1 like this.
  12. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Honestly the lunch I have had after my first marathon: to finish the run I spent something like 4500 calories in just a few hours, I could have eaten literally everything close enough to my mouth.

Nothing has ever had the same taste.
    For the record, it was just some rice with tuna and some fruits.

13. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

One of my good friends does 200 mile runs (Tahoe, Moab, Bigfoot, etc). He's particularly insane, but I have no idea why someone would want to run long distances. I am in pretty good shape, but running is not fun to me and makes me hurt all over (arthritis). I don't see how you do it! But I think my friend would agree about the "meal" aspect of what you experienced.

mimmo likes this.
  14. Electric Mud

Electric Mud Tele-Holic

The next one.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

brookdalebill likes this.
  15. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Friend of Leo's

I gotta add this one: when we were on the USS Ranger, we stopped in Hawaii for a week and loaded up with fresh supplies. I snatched a case of fresh pineapples from the stuff we were uploading and stuck them in a cool place in my shop. A few days later while we were at sea, I broke out the pineapples and a bunch of us sat outside on a sponson and carved them up with our Buck knives, tossing the rinds overboard. Pineapple juice was dripping off my elbows. Nothing like fresh picked pineapples! Not a meal, but undoubtedly the single best thing I've ever eaten.

stevemc and Colo Springs E like this.
  16. Moriarty

Moriarty Tele-Meister

Shrimp tacos on the river in Mystic CT on the 4th of July last year with my future wife.
    I'm sure the atmosphere and the company had a lot to do with it.

stevemc likes this.
  17. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

We had TGI Fridays/Pickup last night, just to take a break from cooking, plus Fridays is 1/2 mile from apartment.
    So food was well, Fridays.

BUT our whack-job yellow lab Lucy, got a new name after dinner- 'Five Meats Lucy!', as she ate:
    shrimp, ribs, chicken, burger, and steak!

So maybe one of her Best Meals Ever?
    (Yes, she shares EVERY meal with her family)
    20181225_150253.jpg

stevemc likes this.
  18. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I remember once my mom made beef roumalden, or something like that.
    Thin sliced roast beef with beef bread stuffing, rolled up and a toothpick to hold
    and baked..served with mashed potatoes and brown gravy. She only made once
    I remember growing up.

stevemc likes this.
  19. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have been asked this question several times. You are right, there is no particular reasons to run such long distances. However, once I have read something that perfectly summed up what's behind this.

In his infinite wisdom, God established that the limit for a human being would have been 30 km. The human being, in his craziness, decided that the marathon would have been 42 km and 195 meters. In this gap, in this grey zone, you will find the beauty of the marathon.

It's quite difficult to explain, but when you have to face the so-called wall at around the 30th km and you still have 12 km to run, you have to ask your body to find energy where there is not. And he will find it for you! It's a sort of "miracle" (if I can say so) and when you finish (at least me) all you can do is wipe the tears from off your face.

And you are happy.

stevemc and Colo Springs E like this.
  20. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Shrimp congee...a few weeks ago at "E Noodles" in Myrtle Beach. Miz Diane and I poked our heads in the door around 2pm and asked if they were open. Eddie the proprietor said, "I can be..."

So we find a seat and he starts talking about his experimental Congee. He hadn't served it to the public yet...would we like to try it? WOW.

That was the latest best meal...nobody else in the place. Perfect.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.