1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What's the best meal you ever had?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Colo Springs E, Mar 24, 2020.

1. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My favorite:
    I made it for myself, once, about 25 years ago.
    It’s a big, fresh steamed Dungeness crab (or two), new potatoes, asparagus and/or broccoli, coarse black pepper on whatever I deem necessary.
    Fresh baguette with fresh butter to accompany.
    Desert: Fresh wild or organic raspberries, and good real French Brie.
    Bury me later!

jannodude and tvvoodoo like this.
  2. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

It's difficult to say. They don't hang around too long.

3. Rusty Spanner

Rusty Spanner Tele-Meister

A Nehari curry, cooked by this lot.......

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

.....in Manchester.

I've been going since I was a teenager, I'm 51 now.

Not on the most salubrious of streets.......
    [​IMG]

.....but it's friendly, cheap and the tastiest food I've ever eaten.

[​IMG]

stevemc, brookdalebill and dkmw like this.
  4. Dave Hicks

Dave Hicks Tele-Afflicted

Tortillas and scrambled eggs in San Luis, Costa Rica (downhill from Monteverde) - homemade tortillas, perfect amount of salt in the eggs, cooked over a wood stove.

D.H.

5. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

I couldn't name a single particular meal, but my favorite food memories are all of my mom's spaghetti dinners that we had every week. She was a great cook, and those meals are part of my life forever. We had a family of 9, so every meal was a crowded, noisy, loud spectacle, with everyone talking and laughing and yelling at the same time. We never went out to eat as a family - I never knew until I was an adult that my parents couldn't afford that - so every meal was a home-made, absolutely delicious creation. Mom was a half Italian, half Portuguese genius in the kitchen. I miss those days...

stnmtthw, brookdalebill and stevemc like this.
  6. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Afflicted

what i would'nt give to have some of my moms homemade anything.grandma too.fortunately my daughter is a pretty good cook.i love a good cheeseburger so i am going to say some waygu beef burgers we got at market basket.cooked on the grill.had a great steak dinner at a place in mystic conn. about 30yrs ago that still sticks in my head.

stnmtthw and brookdalebill like this.
  7. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

My mom's red chile enchiladas.

My wife's lasagna.

Nothing else comes close.

8. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Awesome thread. Tough to call, but the most memorable was after sailing the San Juan Islands with my ex BIL, after a we finally got back to the bay that he worked at an oyster farm. He was the only one to allowed to moor there and would row a dingy into work each morning. We rowed in, and he could take as many deformed "unmarketable" oysters that he could eat. He had a small charcoal Weber that swung out over the water from his boat and he cooked the oysters along with some wild asparagus and melted some butter and along with some wine, watching bald eagles soaring above his private bay.

The other was some sort of German strudel at a restaurant in the woods of eastern Wisconsin just above Chicago around 1985. That is all I know, but I remember this monstrous dish as if it was yesterday.

9. carpenter

carpenter Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Little roadside dinner out by black canyon in Colorado. The best t bone steak and shoestring fries made with the bad fat.

Colo Springs E likes this.
  10. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

What, another squirrel thread?!

jannodude, JuneauMike and Dan R like this.
  11. Thinline casket

Thinline casket Tele-Meister

Well, I love Chinese and Thai food. But nothing beats eggs sunny side with garlic, cayenne and Cajun seasoning, grits loaded with butter, pepper and salt, and fatty thick sliced bacon limp and greasy. I think Albert and Muddy might agree. ;)

brookdalebill likes this.
  12. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Cindi read my post and brewed up a mess of navy beans with ham hock and a pan of corn bread for supper..
    Heal yeah..Life is sweet..

13. dickey

dickey Friend of Leo's

My Mom was an amazing cook; easily up to the level of Graham Kerr at the time. She was the Tommy Emmanuel of food. All her recipes were her own, & my buddies used to fish for invitations to my house for dinner. This was my favorite dish that she made; sweet & sour ginger chicken & her own recipe. IMG_20191112_0001.jpg

As far as restaurant meals...Pizza at John's Pizza in Greenwich Village, or Beef Chow Fun at Wo Hop's of Chinatown in NYC cannot be beat. ANYWHERE!

14. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

Cup-O-Noodle Soup.

I was 11 and had just finished losing a baseball game where we got rained on and I was dropped off at my dad's horribly boring machine shop where I was supposed to wait several hours for my mom to get off work and liberate me. I was tired, wet, cranky and hungry and my dad was either broke or up against a deadline and couldn't leave the shop. So he got a small sauce pan and hot plate that he used to press fit bearings, heated the water and gave me the only cup of noodles he had in the shop. I dried off, with a fender blanket, ate the noodles and felt worlds better. I think about that cup of noodles all the time. Ha.

stevemc, jannodude, Jlwctn and 3 others like this.
  15. rz350

rz350 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I once had a really good cheeseburger and fries at the Burger King in the Minneapolis airport...

16. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Afflicted

somewhere over a rainbow (Ex-L.A. resident)
    Back in the 70s my band got a recording contract with a medium size label in L.A. Included was a mediocre bit of studio time and 1000 vinyl LP's pressed. And a 2 color max album cover, so we just had them use a black & white photo of the band. Some fool at the company decided to add a light color tint to our faces, so we all looked like we had rouge on our cheeks. Great, just what hard rockers wanted.
    We also received $3000 for gear, so we bought a worn out Ford Econoline van and a couple of drums, a new amp for the bass player and some mics.
    That's it, we were broke.
    Then, the company told us we had signed a contract that had us agreeing to do gigs scheduled at small venues across the USA, where we would "sell the albums" and go to local radio stations and beg them to play our songs.
    Off we went.
    The gigs were well attended but each venue said the money for ticket sales had been "sent to the company per contract". So we were living on record sales at the gigs which was about $50 a show. Just enough for gas and oil for the oil burner van and Peanut Butter and bread and occasionally beer.
    We ran out of albums to sell, no money for gas or food and the sleaze agent/manager at the record company wouldn't take our calls.
    We were stranded.
    The drummer got the idea to look around Shreveport LA. (where we were stranded) to see if we could find a bar that would let us play for the door. After a few turnaways, we got a gig for that night at a bar and grill. It was a Friday thankfully.
    While we were setting up the wife of the owner looked us over and said "when was the last time y'all ate?". We mentioned it had been a couple of days. She said we should finish setting up and then come in the kitchen.
    There we were served the best Shrimp Jambalaya over rice I've ever had. It was amazing. She even made us sandwiches to go later that night. All "no charge, honey".
    We made a couple hundred dollars that night, enough to drive back to Los Angeles, where we confronted the "company" about money for the gigs we'd done. Well, come to find out there were 5 more gigs lined up which we never made since we decided to return home while we still had gas money.
    That had "violated our record contract" and we could leave the office or the cops could be called. Our choice.
    A month later we each received a subpoena because we were now being sued by "the company".
    Fortunately, a legal aid lawyer came to our rescue and the case was dismissed.

Sorry for the long rambling tale, but that meal was incredible.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  17. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Reminds me of a time when a friend and I had crewed a yacht from Hawaii to Sequim Bay up in Washington state. The next day we went up to the small town near the marina and stopped for lunch at a cafe.

We ordered some fish and chips and were enjoying that when the manager stopped at our booth and asked if all was ok. Then he noticed our accents, I guess , then lit up telling us he had been stationed in oz during the war and had leave with a nice family who treated him like a long lost son, had great memories,etc... we were the first aussies he had met since then and was amazed we had turned up here in his cafe..

He turned over toward the girl at the cashier.. No charge for these fellas, it's on the house...:oops::)

Welcome to America....:cool:

later that night at a local bar was fun as well.... man, people only come here when they are lost off the hwy .. you guys actually came here on purpose?.. sailed from Hawaii.. no s**t... that's crazy...:lol:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    stevemc and brookdalebill like this.
  18. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sweet memories..Thanks for sharing that..

19. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Afflicted

outside_view.jpg
    This is where I worked in the late '70s. I lived above the shop. Each morning the owner and I would have to unload all the bikes we crammed into the building every night.
    As soon as we were ready for business I would take a BSA WWII army bike down the street to Minnie Yebarra's for breakfast tacos and coffee.
    Senora Yebarra didn't have a sign - just a white frame house on the side of the highway.
    It was local's only and always busy.
    I would get a massive bag of breakfast tacos and coffee that I would balance while riding the old bike.
    The owner (who is my best friend) and I would smoke a spliff and have the best breakfast of our lives every day.
    It was an idyllic time.

Mark

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    trev333 likes this.
  20. Torz Johnson

Torz Johnson Friend of Leo's

Back around '77, my family spent a week in Oregon in various campgrounds in a rented trailer.

One day my Mom opened a canned chicken and made chicken and dumplings from scratch over the campfire. 43 years later I still remember that dinner.

stevemc likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.