1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What's the best meal you ever had?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Colo Springs E, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The first meal that comes to mind is one the whole family still remembers
    We were on vacation in Qingdao China spending time on the beach ,when we came upon a large Mongolian tent . My wife speaks the language so she went to find out what they had to offer. Their specialty was lamb roasted over an open wood fire ,but it would require quite some preparation time. We placed an order and wandered back toward the hotel to shower and change. When we eventually returned to the tent we were brought inside and seated on cushions on the floor surrounding a low round table. I honestly don't remember everything we had but I'm sure rice was involved as well as some vegetables but the lamb was the feature and it was worth the wait. I can't say how it was seasoned or marinated but it was perfect and the atmosphere was fantastic.

Shuster likes this.
  2. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

Great topic, allows us to both reminisce and talk about food:)

A couple that come to mind quickly - one was in Zihuatanejo, Mexico, thirtysomething years ago. Right on the harbor, docks were 50’ away. Neither my wife or I can remember the name. Sunset time giving way to dusk, then night. Sopas were fantastic, followed by fish that was even better.

The second was the first time we ate at the Cracked Conch Cafe in Marathon, Florida Keys. Also about 30 years ago.
    We’d just driven down and it was late. Raining too. This little nondescript place was still open, and that was enough for us. We both ordered fried conch, or cracked conch as it’s known in the Keys. As soon as our order hit the kitchen, you could hear the conch being hammered.

(Pro tip on how to spot a tourist in the Keys - if they ask if there’s construction work going on in the kitchen, they’re not from around here)

Best fried seafood I’ve ever had, and I’ve had a lot. Somehow they push their oil temp into the stratosphere. I fry in peanut oil at ~375 all the time, but they’ve got something crazy going on. I’ve eaten there 100 times since:eek:

Colo Springs E and Shuster like this.
  3. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

After living in Mexico for 1.5 years we walked over the border at Tijuana and headed to MacDonalds. That quarter pounder... and I hate MacDonalds!

But seriously, "best meal" is a difficult choice, but one involving halibut cheeks in garlic and butter is probably near the top. A fillet steak you can cut with your fork is also. Sushi is my favorite food though. Conch fresh off the sea floor is up there also. Nassau Grouper done right...

dkmw likes this.
  4. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Amazing food is just everyday life here. For context, my mother in law first came to the US as a trained in Paris chef though she's German. My wife's talented like she is. We've all travelled to places in the world to truly know the cuisine and how do do it where or when possible.

For me best is family at the table. Again for context, my wife lives with cancer survival risk. The kids' grandmothers are up there and with recent health or accident issues. All us together at the table with our generally fine cooking is what's best.

Circumstances many are in have our 3 kids home. It's been amazing to be at the table with them.

stevemc likes this.
  5. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

About 15 years ago at the Mount Washington Hotel in Bretton Woods, NH. Dinner consisted of steak au poive for me and filet mignon for the wife. Everything was memorable. The food, the service, the piano player, the grand old hotel. It felt like we were one of the Rockefeller’s.

stevemc likes this.
  6. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

Hahaha, I was going to post about coming back across the border and heading straight to Burger King. I loved 90% of the meals I’d had over the previous month, but the craving for a good ol’ cheeseburger was strong. It was September of ‘77 - we asked an employee what was the biggest news of the last month. She thought for a second and said “Oh yeah, Elvis died”.

schmee likes this.
  7. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

An 18-course lunch in a garden in Cyprus. It was like being at the world’s best all-you-can-eat Greek buffet...and ordering everything.

Shuster likes this.
  8. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

It WAS interesting back when we were out of the US for 2 years in the Carribean on our sailboat. When we left... the scandal and impeachment of Clinton was dominating the news. On the boat the only news we really got was listening to BBC World News. When we came back 2 years later, the scandal and impeachment of Clinton was dominating the news!

9. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

"Where Hamburgers Sizzle on an Open Grill Night and Day..."
    [​IMG]

dkmw likes this.
  10. dotbot

dotbot TDPRI Member

Mine is very like the OP.

It was a dark and stormy night (really!) in November of 2012 in a town called Monte Porzio Catone near Rome.

A couple of friends and I were the only people in a restaurant. This was a place where you eat what they're cookin' that night, no menu.

The first thing they served us, which is all I remember, was a plate of noodles with one kind of mushroom, one fresh herb, olive oil, and salt. Maybe pappardelle pasta? No idea which herb or mushroom. So simple but just mind-blowing-ly delicious.

11. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

Every time my Dad and I went to The Hilltop Steakhouse in
    Saugus. :D:D

My Mom’s favorite meal EVER was Thanksgiving at “The Salivation Army” in Lawrence 1931, it was the height of The Great Depression and Lawrence got whacked pretty bad, all The Mills were shut down, no work anywhere, they stood in line for nearly two hours until it was their turn, Ma was 13 years old, the food was so good, the following Spring because She was skin & bones She was sent to “Happy Health Camp” where She recovered.

Ma used to say “Don’t be a defeatist” which is something Today especially we need to keep in our minds.

12. Buckaroo65

Buckaroo65 Tele-Holic

Went out to mexican food with my dad the evening before i returned to Germany... I ate so much, i seriously thought my stomach was going to break open if i turned over when i went to bed...

13. Jlwctn

Jlwctn Tele-Meister

I'd never been this hungry before, and I've never been this hungry since.
    Amarillo, TX hayfield,1979, and I hadn't eaten for a few days...
    Bologna, white bread, yellow mustard, black coffee.
    Never has anything tasted so good...
    I've never forgotten it.

Shuster and getbent like this.
  14. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

so many, hard to pick one... I used to go solo backpacking a lot in my 20's... my favorite trips were into the boulder fields in the sierra. My last night before a huge hike out, I'd usually have trout and my favorite mix of chili beans and canned spaghetti.... steaming hot with a pot of coffee... I'd eat half a dozen trout and that and clean up, sleep til first light and head back to my truck... I always felt like that little bit of extra food got me through... those were some great trips...

15. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Holic

Seared scallops with black truffles on top. The meal started with caviar atop medium hard boiled eggs

L’Orangerie in LA was both the most expensive and best restaurant I ever visited.

16. AndyPanda

AndyPanda Tele-Holic

For me it was a few days after regaining consciousness with only ice chips to suck on - first actual food was apple sauce and a graham cracker - best thing I ever tasted in my life.

Skub likes this.
  17. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

But Pop, it has to be Jiffy cornbread;)

18. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

That is easy!! This and this at this place:)

m0vBBr1Tix1cW5io5hS.jpg tcgM2qQiQxKoNVglkfdc788stATiyJQfLtMd3VEMz_8.jpg 4474621_oAWFY8oCZFi0OUIExeH0tAaDiD6uzQsfvi_zD2HsCuo.jpg

OldDude2 likes this.
  19. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Holic

On tour at Hollis' Famous Ribs in Athens GA. Had chicken with greens and beans and a coke. Yes yes yes. It helped that for the previous decade I'd been on a severely limited diet due to autoimmune problems, so it was like manna from heaven to me. I still think about that meal all the time.

20. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Not really..I can make top notch corn bread but gotta confess, since I discovered Jiffy that's what I now use..Yummy..

Shuster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.