1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What's the best meal you ever had?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Colo Springs E, Mar 24, 2020.

1. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Afflicted

I believe you, but personally, I've never had a steak in a restaurant better than the ones I cook at home on the grill.

Hey_you, uriah1, Shuster and 4 others like this.
  2. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

Easy. First time I ever took my wife to Eddie Merlot. Best steak I ever tasted, my wife had what she still says were the best lobster tails she ever had, the dessert was to die for. Cost a couple of bills but worth every cent.

blueruins, Shuster and Colo Springs E like this.
  3. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Too hard to decide. Dessert, my moms chocolate pie...

blueruins and Shuster like this.
  4. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The only thing that comes to mind is Thanksgiving Dinner with turkey, dressing and gravy with all the fixings.

There are others crab cakes at Stoney’s in Maryland...

blueruins, Shuster and getbent like this.
  5. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Argh, twice. The only thing that comes to mind is Thanksgiving Dinner with turkey, dressing and gravy with all the fixings.

There are others crab cakes at Stoney’s in Maryland...

uriah1 likes this.
  6. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Tournedos of beef, m. rare, with asparagus vinaigrette

or pork loin collettes

blueruins likes this.
  7. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

A Sunday dinner at a very upscale restaurant deep in the Black Forest in the south of Germany. Roast Elk with a brandy and cherry sauce, spätzle with a hunter's (mushroom sauce), grilled white asparagus in Hollandaise sauce, rot cole salad, and a bottle of Rothchild Cabernet. Dessert was a peach Melba served with a German ice wine. Because of the time and place the cost in dollars for two people was less than $50.

tvvoodoo, uriah1, blueruins and 2 others like this.
  8. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

In college, I was the stage manager at the campus theater. One day we had a male dance group from Indonesia- no one with the group spoke fluent English except for their American tour manager, who'd been recruited by the Indonesian government and had spent a month in Indonesia learning the language and customs before going on the road with the group. They were all cool, the show was pretty easy, but my assistant Brian and I had to finish up a couple things before showtime. We finished with about 20 minutes left before show call, and hadn't eaten dinner. We were in my office debating whether to run down to the corner store for stale pastries and Coke or to send Brian to the closest fast food joint, when the tour manager came in-

"A couple of the guys overheard your conversation, and they wanted to invite you to have dinner with them."

The tour carried their own catering and chef, and they were set up down in our basement. It smelled wonderful, and after making sure they had enough food and we weren't eating someone else's meal, we agreed. As we came down the stairs, the entire group of 20+ dancers all stood up and greeted us like honored guests. They cleared places for us, and proceeded to bring us a procession of absolutely amazing food the likes of which I've never had before or since. The tour manager translated for us, and explained what each dish was. All the dancers crowded around us, asking what we thought of each course. We talked for a while though the tour manager (this was their first time in the US, and they had a lot of questions), but soon it was time to go back to work.

The rest of the show crew came back from dinner and asked if we'd been able to get anything to eat. Brian and I looked at each other, grinned, and simply said "yeah."

darkwaters, uriah1, blueruins and 2 others like this.
  9. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

My wife is a fantastic cook and makes maybe 10+ amazing 'comfort food' meals, and I have eaten some great seafood platters in restaurants ( a fave meal of mine)
    BUT
    One of the most amazing meals I've ever had was cooked by my healthy-eating older brother, Jim, who was hosting our family reunion at his RI home a few years ago:

Simple- grilled swordfish AND Filet mignon from his grill, served with salad, baked potato, green beans.

I cannot express the flavor of the swordfish or the steak-just the best anyone at that table had ever eaten- it knocked us out- incredible! A real moment.
    I think he buys the best and knows how to prepare-
    Edit - just remembered ( this meal is now in my head!)

" Jim, what did you use to season the steak?"

" Salt and Pepper "

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    uriah1, blueruins, stnmtthw and 3 others like this.
  10. Jerry J

Jerry J Friend of Leo's

Like many, I've had a lot of fine meals here and in Europe. But one time while in SoCal I stopped at a local Mexican restaurant frequented by field workers. It was a simple meal - a big burrito with beans and rice but the thing I can remember was how good fresh iceberg lettuce tasted when it was picked that day. Everything was perfect, and in those days when I could eat everything and not gain an ounce, I was stuffed. Including a Cerveza, the total price was under $5. Come to think of it, the restaurant was housed in an old Burger Chef, or something that had the distinctive shape.

uriah1 and blueruins like this.
  11. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

It is seared in my memory..

myself and a friend has been climbing the rocky Bregalia peaks near St Moritz and camping at altitude for a couple of weeks. We were burned, malnourished and knackered.

At the end we wandered into town and went straight for the first pizzeria we could see. Log fueled, brick oven.. always a good sign.

The best Fungi pizza and meal I have ever eaten.

jman72 and blueruins like this.
  12. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Friend of Leo's

My mother handmade tortellini, every christmas. ;););)

uriah1 and stevemc like this.
  13. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Holic

The steak dinner my wife and I had the night I proposed to her. Longhorn steakhouse in Hot Springs Arkansas. My steak was cooked perfectly and topped with mushrooms and onions. Best steak I've ever had. The fresh green beans were perfectly seasoned and the loaded mashed potatoes were incredible.

We talk about how crazy good that meal was all the time. First meal I've ever asked to talk to the person who cooked it in the kitchen and even tipped them.

uriah1 and stevemc like this.
  14. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

The one I ate when I was the hungriest.

uriah1, stevemc, DrPepper and 2 others like this.
  15. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    I spent a couple of weeks in Guatemala City in 2018, helping an inner city church put on a medical clinic for their community.

The lady that was cooking every meal for our 9-person team was the wife of the music leader for the church. We quickly began to realize that each meal which she served us was better than the previous one. I had seen her running around and working, but we had not met her. As the project coordinator, I was the one who had approved her budget - which was tiny - so I asked for her to come out of the kitchen and allow us to thank her. She was very humble and kind... and as it turned out, she had actually one a nation-wide (Guatemalan) cooking contest the previous year.

She was cooking every single thing fresh, and turns out she had made all of her own seasonings too... as in, dried her own peppers, and crushed and ground them into power... FRESH HOMEMADE CHIMICHURRI with every meal. Making home-made breads. She was grilling fresh, thinly sliced steaks and pork chops. One day she even made hot dogs for us, and I don't know what the difference was - but it was the most fantastic hot dog that I've ever had.

Anyway - best food I've ever had in my life - and I got it every day, three times a day, for almost two weeks.

16. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

No brainer for me. I waited in line for 90 minutes to get Thanksgiving dinner in the chow hall at the former NAS Memphis while attending Navy schools. It was actually worth the wait, and my first holiday away that would have represented a large family gathering had I been at home.

Shuster likes this.
  17. Electric Mud

Electric Mud Tele-Holic

The spread my Gram made for any holiday. You can't buy food like that. Her apple pie would be my death row meal.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

stevemc and Shuster like this.
  18. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

After 12 or so weeks in basic training (Navy) our Commander got us Burger King. That Whopper
    tasted like prime rib after all the crap they served in the mess hall!

19. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

I love Chinese food, so pretty much anything either I, or my wife makes and prepares, or the local restaurant just around the corner from where I live. Sadly, closed at the moment :(

jannodude and Shuster like this.
  20. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

“Hunger is the best sauce in the world,”
    -Miguel de Cervantes

Shuster, Buckaroo65 and Jlwctn like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.