1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What's the best meal you ever had?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Colo Springs E, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It may be hard to pick one.... if you can't, tell us about one of the best meals you ever had!

I have many fond memories associated with meals I've had, and two of them were in Spain, which we visited 4 years or so ago.

The one I'll describe was lunch, consumed at a Mediterranean seaside restaurant in Palefrugell, Catalonia region. My wife had some sort of seafood and vegetable dish which was delicious. Mine was nothing but roasted vegetables, tossed in oils and spices and served with rice. It was SO good--the vegetables there just seemed so much fresher and flavorful than what we can get here in the States. They used various spices that paired so well with the perfectly cooked veggies, I really cannot describe it. I wish I was enjoying that meal right now!

I do wonder if part of it is in my head--if the food SEEMED to taste better, when in reality it was just the totality of the situation. 75 degrees, sunny, a very light breeze, and a beautiful, quiet beach with very few inhabitants--all locals. Sitting with my wife, enjoying some delicious (and inexpensive) Tempranillo wine. It's actually just one of my favorite memories ever, visiting that little coastal village.

We also had a dinner there that was exceptional--in fact, we had NO bad food experiences in Spain!

Tell us about your favorite meal...

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  2. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

When I was 11 I was lucky enough to travel and one of the countries we visited was Turkey. At one point we went on a bus (I don't remember but possibly between Istanbul and Ankara). We made a stop. It was nothing fancy, a large room with rows of tables and bench seating. We were all given a serve of soup/stew and rice. It blew my mind. Simple, but probably the tastiest meal I'd ever had at that point in my life.

3. blueruins

blueruins Tele-Meister

Mexico. Breakfast at our hotel was fresh fruit, scrambled eggs, refried beans and a single tortilla. Fresh squeezed orange juice to drink.
    Inexplicably, this was the most impeccably seasoned and perfectly flavored combination of both our lives.
    It was 20 years ago and my wife and I still occasionally reference it in amazement.

4. Skub

Skub Poster Extraordinaire

Tea and toast after regaining consciousness in hospital.

Nothing ever tasted so good.

Charlodius, jannodude, REWTX and 12 others like this.
  5. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I hear ya skub.... at least you got toast...
    I woke up to spend near 2 weeks on milky IV's or basic liquids.... saltwater soup...

the first time they let me have solid food was around breakfast time.... I ordered a plain folded omelette, it was great..:)

the exotic...

probably at a small cheap hole in the wall place we ate at in Salvadore, Bahia every night... it was the norm there to just order a meal and it was assumed 2 people would share it... our fav was a dish of prawns in coconut milk/dende oil that came to the table in a clay bowl straight from the oven, still bubbling .... divine...

blueruins, Skub, Shuster and 3 others like this.
  6. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Beans and corn bread..

DonM, Dan R, Thinline casket and 8 others like this.
  7. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

Lamb curry slow cooked

blueruins and Deeve like this.
  8. Pickingthru

Pickingthru Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Mine was at my local Mexican restaurant the day before they were shutdown by the coronavirus's abundance of caution. Rita and fajitas. Planning to tailgate in their parking lot Friday for lunch. In Texas, we can get Ritas to go.

blueruins and Shuster like this.
  9. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    A big bowl of pasta in an Italian restaurant (Italia) in Reykjavik after a long day of hiking is the first one to pop in my head. Also, the Tasting Menu at The Fish Market the very next night.

Surf & Turf at the Silverado Resort in Napa is also pretty high on my list.

blueruins and Colo Springs E like this.
  10. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Not sure but I can guarantee I was very very hungry

stevemc, fenderchamp and DrPepper like this.
  11. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Tele-Meister

'79 on the island of Milos in a small village on top of a hill, far away from the seaside.

There were 2 shops, no resto's. The kafenion had only coffee and backgammon. The two shops were an olive/oil store and a bakery. The olives were spectacular, briny and oily with lots of herbs. The bread had just come out of the very ancient wood furnace, dark and with a thick crust. The smell of the flour and yeasts were hypnotic.

12. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

French Laundry tasting menu 2001.

13. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Friend of Leo's

At a Sudanese restaurant in Singapore, we had some kind of awesome baked fish (don't remember which kind of fish) and prawns the size of lobster tails.

14. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Fried chicken at my Grandma's house .

15. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That does sometimes play into the equation!

16. Mrbob135

Mrbob135 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The filet mignon at Cattleman's Ranch just outside of El Paso comes to mind. It was the perfect steak...all others have fallen short.

17. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Tele-Meister

Great ingredients done simply but masterfully often trump complexity!

18. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Afflicted

The best that I can remember was almost ten years ago at a small, unknown place just south of Charlotte, NC. The chef was Spanish. It was one of those ultra expensive five course meals where you are served a total of less than eight ounces of food, but every bite is a culinary delight packed with complexity, nuance, and eye-opening, orgasmic goodness. Don't remember what I had, I just remember it was worth every penny.

The second was around eight years ago in a small dive in New Orleans called Frankie and Johnny's. Fabulous cajun-style meal. Oddly enough, it was closed shortly afterwards for health code violations, and after reopening, the food wasn't quite as good.

blueruins likes this.
  19. The Angry Possum

The Angry Possum Tele-Holic

Patrizias of Brooklyn. Located here in Staten Island NY. Amazing amazing Italian food. They have family style also for groups of people etc. The Grilled Octopus is amazing. I never thought I would eat it, it's one of my top favorites there now. The pizza and the Italian pastrys are out of this world. The pizza is made in a wood burning oven, this place is a good mine. I may order from them Tonite. They deliver.

Screenshot_20200324-094637_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20200324-094758_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20200324-094812_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20200324-094821_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20200324-094834_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20200324-094832_Chrome.jpg

uriah1, blueruins, jsalvaggio and 3 others like this.
  20. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Rigatoni down by the village in NYC.

Funny at first. I never had old dude waiters.
    You had to be there. No cut to us old dudes.

blueruins likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.