What's The Best Book You've Read Recently?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by westofthesun, Sep 13, 2020.

1. Mickey

Mickey Tele-Holic

I just read Philip Roth The Human Stain for the first time, written in 1998. It’s about cancel culture. Amazing how great writers do that, sense what’s going to be important.

2. xtelesquirex

xtelesquirex Tele-Meister

The last book I finished was Venus In Furs. Aside from the really dry stuff I read I have Perfume by Patrick Suskind and Roadside Picnic by the Strugatsky brothers queued up.

3. saltyseadog

saltyseadog Tele-Meister

I read a lot and the best read I have had in a long time was the Daevabad Trilogy, City of Brass, Kingdom of Copper, Empire of Gold by asian writer S.A.Chakraborty. A definite replacement for Game of Thrones either as a story or a tv series.

4. Lake Placid Blue

Lake Placid Blue Poster Extraordinaire

5. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

"Poland 1939" by Roger Moorhouse.
    (Poland did not just roll over when the Germans and Russians invaded at the start of WW2...)

"Debt: The First 5,000 Years" by David Graeber

"Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind" by Yuval Noah Harari

Rocky058 and catdaddy like this.
  6. smartsoul72

smartsoul72 Tele-Meister

I used to read much more up until a few years ago. I mostly read a mag before bed anymore.
    However, the recent isolation put me back on course with novels/books.
    My favorite of the lot that I've read so far this year is John Rechy's "City of Night" which is the story of a young male prostitute coming to terms with himself. Nothing too graphic, so don't be put off.
    It's funny how many authors I ended up checking out because of what I read regarding Morrison's reading list in "No One Here Gets Out Alive" as a kid.

nojazzhere likes this.
  7. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari. It takes you through the cognitive, agricultural and scientific revolutions in where and how we are today context. Good history and good understanding of who we (humans) are.

I'm finally at last chapter of Steven Pinker's Enlightenment Now where the choice was sort of a tangent or inspired by the Harari book but it's different. More of a staunch moderate view of what became of ideas from 17th and 18th centuries totally in the context of now.

Both are really good reads for what seems like an unusual year or time. I really enjoyed a bunch of tangents and learning breaks pursuing things in both books.

Rocky058, catdaddy and Lawdawg like this.
  8. rarebreed

rarebreed Tele-Holic

Right now I'm reading " Breakout " by Martin Russ. It's an account of the US Marines and their campaign against the communist forces of North Korea and China during the Korean War.

9. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The last one that I really enjoyed was "Station Eleven." I think it's about 6 or 7 years old, I read it about 9 months ago or so. Post-apocalyptic stories generally ain't my thing, but I thought it was well written.

Word of warning--it is a flu pandemic that leads to the majority of the population being wiped out. So maybe not the best storyline for present day haha

10. Silent Otto

Silent Otto Tele-Meister

highly recommend Guy Vanderhaeghe's western trilogy The Englishman's Boy, The Last Crossing, A Good Man

currently reading Wm. Gibson's Jackpot Trilogy

+1 on the Murikami!!!

11. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

I just finished The Three-Body Problem by Liu Cixin which is the first novel in the Remembrance of Earth's Past trilogy. Although I typically prefer soft science fiction, I did enjoy it and am reading the remaining 2 novels in the trilogy.

I am very much looking forward to reading Susanna Clarke's Piranesi which is being released this week.

THX1123 and basher like this.
  12. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Holic

As this is a musical forum, ostensibly:

Pretty much what the title says.
    And the guy knows whereof he writes.

20200914_061927.jpg

I used to read quite a bit more than I do now, back before smartphones and the era of infinite distraction. Maybe someday I will again.

I've read all the Vonnegut there is, and 90 percent of David Foster Wallace. I read Infinite Jest twice.
    And Moby Dick, I return to.

rand z and Rocky058 like this.
  13. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Hard science fiction from a master. This is a sequel to The Prefect and set in Reynold's Revelation Space universe. I really like the author and thoroughly enjoyed this one.

[​IMG]

aging_rocker and pi like this.
  14. WalthamMoosical

WalthamMoosical Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Nineteen Eighty-Four. Not necessarily a fun read, but an important one, especially these days.

CajunJ, P Thought, rand z and 4 others like this.
  15. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Virtually all of my reading now is for 30-60 minutes at bedtime, and is much "lighter" than much of the "heavy" stuff you guys are reading. A lot of Dick Francis, Ken Follett and Agatha Christie-type mysteries.
    But one I just finished a few days ago was Tragic Magic......a bio of Chris Wood of Traffic. Not a very well written book.....lots of grammatical and other "editing" errors, and I can't attest to its accuracy, but a largely riveting read. I have a bio of Steve Winwood on order right now, I'll see how many contradictions there are.

Greggorios likes this.
  16. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I don't know if you meant to imply this, but Norwegian Wood is by Haruki, not Ryu. (It's more conventional that most of Haruki's novels.) I do like Ryu, too. I've read his Almost Transparent Blue. The Wikipedia summation of it is:

Narrated by the main character Ryū, the novel focuses on his small group of young friends in the mid-1970s. Living in a Japanese town with an American air force base, their lives revolve around sex, drugs and rock 'n roll.
    The near-plotless story weaves a vividly raw, image-intensive journey through the daily monotony of drug-induced hallucinations, vicious acts of violence, overdoses, suicide, and group sex.​

I don't know if that would appeal to most TDPRI members.

Greggorios likes this.
  17. dickey

dickey Friend of Leo's

Finished Greg Lake's autobiography "Lucky Man".

What was cool was I met him & Carl Palmer under unusual circumstances back in '74, and he mentions the circumstances that led to our meeting in this book. I thought it was pretty cool.

nojazzhere likes this.
  18. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I'm currently reading "Minor Characters" by Joyce Johnson, which is a memoir of her time with Jack Kerouac and Allen Ginsberg. It's pretty interesting to see a more realistic perspective on the beat generation. It's also a really excellent examination of what it was like to grow up female in the 50s, being told that women could never have the kind of experiences that would be worth writing about. She's smart and funny and insightful, and she's a much better writer than Kerouac. Highly recommended.

19. Rocky058

Rocky058 Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

Greggorios likes this.
  20. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

-Cane River- Lalita Tademy
    -I Know This Much is True- Wally Lamb
    -The Passage trilogy- Justin Cronin Amazingly , for the subject, some of the best writing I've seen in many years.
    -Wind From the Carolina's -Wilder
    -Pillars of the Earth
    -Brights Passage- Wally Lamb
    -Shantaram- Greg Roberts ...this book is... WOW!
    -The Storyteller- Jodi Picoult

All of the above are well above average reads.

Greggorios likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.