What's the best amp you've ever owned?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by schenkadere, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Outcaster

Outcaster Tele-Holic

My 65 Deluxe Reverb. Paid $225 for it back in '91. It'll be sold only after I'm dead.

The one that got away was a Danelectro of some sort that went along with the shorthorn Dano my Grandfather bought for my Uncle back between '59 and '62. I've got the guitar but as a kid I thought of that amp as a toy and didn't make an effort to save it. No idea what happened to it...

2. ryokan

ryokan Tele-Holic

My '78 Deluxe Reverb. It sounds and looks beautiful, is lightweight and is built like a tank. Perfect for any venue. Love it more than any other amp I've owned.

3. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

That's a great looking amp. What speaker(s) are lurking behind the cloth?

As for my favourite, sorry to sound like a broken record, but it's this one -

pra2_sm.jpeg

I've recently started playing it guitar/cord/amp with a touch of the on-board compression, and I'm falling for it all over again.

4. drmcclainphd

drmcclainphd Tele-Afflicted

Carver M 1.5t magnetic field amp, all chips replaced with new, all caps replaced with specs better than were available when it was built. It would automatically switch all power to one of the channels for sudden requirements there. You could darn near arc weld with it. THICK steel case. I ran two towers on each channel with a total of one 15", five 12" and two horns per channel. At full power into 4 ohms it pegged my meter at 120 dB max.

I got it at a resale shop for $20 because it didn't have any knobs on it. A cheap NuMark EQ next to it was priced at $75 because it had lots of knobs. Shipping and upgrades brought it up to $300 cost. Still the cleanest, loudest, most indestructable amp I ever owned.

5. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

1968 Deluxe Reverb, 1959 Bassman, and a mid-70's Peavey Classic with a tube power section and solid state pre-amp.

6. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

My Bad Cat Cougar 5 is absolutely killer but the amp that triggered my last purge was the JCA20H.

7. dconeill

dconeill Tele-Afflicted

Favorite: Peavey Renown with 1x15" Black Widow speaker

Others I've had: Peavey redstripe Bandit (current); Evans 80 (current); Peavey Special 120 (150?) Ampeg VT22; Fender master volume Twin Reverb; Mesa Boogie Mark IIb; Fender Deluxe Reverb; Fender Super Reverb; Ampeg B15N or V; Acoustic (brand) 1x15 bass combo, model unknown

8. Serenity23

Serenity23 Tele-Holic

Really wish i hadn't sold my JCM800 2203. That thing was killer. Currently i have a lot of love for my Marshall 8100 Valvestate. For a (almost) non-tube amp it's got some great tones, and it will do the JCM800 thing. But the best bit is the OD2 channel for high gain, play around with the contour knob and you can go from screaming Marshall to Mesa Recto territory. Seriously underrated amp.

9. brianswindall

brianswindall Tele-Afflicted

2x12" Jensen ceramics (C12Ps).

10. Telesavalis

Telesavalis Friend of Leo's

The amps I currently use regularly;

Mesa Lonestar classic
    Dr Z Z Wreck
    Dr Z Carmen Ghia
    Peavy Classic 30
    SWR California Blonde

11. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

What's the best amp you've ever owned?

Not fair.
    No ONE Amp has done that for me.
    I have had to (had the pleasure of, anyway) of playing and Recording many different styles of Music.

But in the spirit of the OP, these have been my stand-outs:
    (In no particular order)
    '73 Musicman Sixtyfive 115 (I have played more gigs with this than every other amp I have owned combined)
    '73 Fender Champ
    '74 Fender Vibro Champ
    '81 Marshall JCM800 50-Watt Half-Stack

12. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

I could listen to that record all day long!

13. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

For pure amp goodness, my '66 Twin reverb. I got it for $200 in 1985, cheap because it was missing a $24 transformer. Still has all original caps, sounds awesome. I never play it anymore, too frikkin loud. I'm like one of those weirdos that parks a Ferrari in their living room and never drives it. But hey, it makes me happy.

14. MarkWW

MarkWW Tele-Meister

My Ampeg Gemini II's. One is a 64 and the other is a brother from another mother a 1967.

15. Itwang

Itwang Tele-Meister

Carr Rambler I got used off craigslist. Perfect size/weight/tone package for my gig needs or practice needs........I wish I could afford a good vintage deluxe reverb, though.

16. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

I have 3 amps all tied for first place.

#1 is the Kendrick New Joyzee that my son built in Gerald Weber's "Build Your Own Amp Camp". Its is amazing and truly priceless.

[​IMG]

#2 is the 69 Princeton Reverb that muchxs recently turned into a mojo of epic proportions.

[​IMG]

and #3 is my 1966 Super Reverb, completely stock, which is also quite glorious.

[​IMG]

I will never part with any of these 3, hopefully my grandkids will inherit them someday.

17. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Way back when I was just learning to play, I bought a 60's silverface Champ in a pawn shop. I sold it before I knew what I had. Ditto the super-cool old red sparkle Silvertone guitar I was playing through it. That would probably have been a killer rig if I'd been a better player at the time.

18. chabby

chabby Friend of Leo's

BF Vibrolux 1971 champ
    Musicman 210 65 unbelievable cleans.
    Owned a Shiva and it was okay until I looked inside and saw circuit board.
    Probably the toughest made, but even the toughest built board will never rival the maintenance and ease of repair of the 65 BF Princeton I've played.
    Or the 71 Vibrolux Reverb 2x10 - those amps can last several life times.

Carr Rambler best modern guts I've seen, along with Tophat. Carr gets it, Tophat gets it. Victoria and all the other boutique builders still using no circuit boards get it. The technology was done when Fender turned out their last BF amps. The New orange amps are built like tanks, but still use boards.
    But to mass produce, what else can you do? Mesa makes a tough circuit board too. Things are built to throw away now, things used to be built to repair and service.

19. tlimbert65

tlimbert65 Tele-Afflicted

I have a deep emotional connection to my late 70's Yamaha G30-112. That is a sweet-sounding amp.

20. tlimbert65

tlimbert65 Tele-Afflicted

My high school jazz band had, for some inexplicable reason, TWO of those things, and today, when I think of a crap amp, I picture the Deuce. They sounded bad on the rare occasion they worked at all.

Weren't they hybrid amps, though? I may be wrong, because back then, I had no idea of solid-state or tubes.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.