1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What's something from the Good Ole Days that wasn't really so good?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by cometazzi, Sep 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Sitcoms, Game shows, anything from Ronco, Anything from Popeal, Anything with ‘Ginsu’ in the title, RC Airplanes, PA systems, phones,
    Headphones, commercials, local bands, dance music, Van Halen, maps, rolladexes, Cap’n Crunch (wait, scratch that one), Charo, Barbi Benton, Thermoses, Thermometers, Bicycles, Lasers, Radars, Computers, etc,...

2. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

Lol - you don’t think phones and computers are great?

3. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Not in the 70’s. Hell, we shared a party line with the neighbors...:(

4. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Racism, sexism, xenophobia, gross income inequality, pollution on a horrific scale, tribalism, dead minds in high places. Thank heavens we've got all that sorted out.

drlucky, SuprHtr, Frontier9 and 7 others like this.
  5. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

When I was a small kid, many decades ago, we had a dentist who was very old even then. I swear his dental tools consisted of pliers, hammer, and ice pick. I recall several tearful, bloody episodes....

Rocky058 likes this.
  6. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I remember when I was 8, my mother was pregnant with my baby brother and she started to go into labor on Saturday morning with my dad out fishing. She asked if I could go to the telephone which hung on the wall in the kitchen and call the doctor. I ran to the phone and there were a couple of ladies yakking on the party line. I hung up and told my mother. She explained that this was an emergency and I should very politely ask them if we could have the line because my mom was having a baby. Please keep in mind, this was during a time when children didn’t speak unless spoken to.

I very timidly got on the phone and very nicely explained the situation to the ladies. “Oh, of course, sweetheart! We’ll drop the line right now so your mommy can get the doctor so she can have the baby!” I felt so proud of myself. It was the very first time I ever asserted myself in the presence of grownups.

7. ravindave_3600

ravindave_3600 Friend of Leo's

All of those things have been around for millenia so they probably don't qualify for this thread. In a similar way, tv was lousy then and it's lousy now.

I've got to agree about old cars. A 2020 Corolla is a much better machine than any 60s muscle car you can name. I'd still prefer the 67 mustang convertible because there's a lot to be said for style, but not as a daily driver.

Coke with sugar is better than hfcs, though, and I get mine at the Mexican grocery down the road.

SuprHtr likes this.
  8. sudogeek

sudogeek Tele-Meister

Highways. [I took regular trips to OBX and FL to surf and compete - and to play at beach clubs - in the 60s. The road to Currituck was a two lane country road - it was quicker to deflate your tires a bit and drive down the beach from Sandbridge. (More adventurous, too.) Before i-95, the road to FL through SC and GA was a nightmare of narrow two lane blacktop, poorly marked, and full of log trucks. Passing was truly a heart-stopping game of chicken, fueled by whites and alcohol.]

Surfboards. [Those ten foot 40 pound logs we rode sell for thousands now but they suck. Modern designs and lightweight epoxy or vacuum-bagged boards are more durable, cheaper, and perform better. Airs? Forget it. The only air you could get in the 60s was when you left the beach and forgot to fasten the straps on the rack.]

Wetsuits. [Divers know this too. Modern suits are lighter, more flexible, fit better, and provide unheard of insulation. Hell, I’ve surfed and dived comfortably in Maine, NoCal, and Ireland.]

PA systems. [We could argue about amplifiers, guitars, reverb units, and other equipment of the 60s versus modern examples - just to be argumentative, I personally believe modern equipment is, in the main, better. But I think we would all agree that modern stage sound is an order of magnitude superior to old PA systems. I won’t get into stage lighting and electrical safety.]

Mexican food. [Immigration has been an unarguable plus - even just for the culinary and restaurant landscape of the US. Now you don’t need to live in San Antonio just to get a good plate of carne asada. The overall quality of food has improved markedly and the variety of foods available is dramatically better, with one exception - seafood. The results of over-fishing and environmental damage is all too apparent to anyone who grew up in a beach town.]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  9. electrichead

electrichead Tele-Meister

cool-Mcdonalds-menu-1972-old-photo1.jpg

10. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Everything is better these days ,.....honestly

thunderbyrd likes this.
  11. matty428

matty428 TDPRI Member

Holy Crap! I'd kill for a time machine, with my current paycheck, I'd buy like 4 of these!!!

12. acoustic rob

acoustic rob Tele-Holic

Indoor smoking. Yuk. My parents smoked and the whole house just reeked.

I was watching an old Columbo episode and watching Peter Falk smoking his cigars while interviewing suspects in their houses really threw me before I realized, oh yeah, the '70s. Everybody did that back then.

13. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

I'm not saying new cars haven't tremendously improved safety, but that Impala had an X-frame, an offset impact like that is worst case ,as you can see from the video. A Ford from that era would have done better and inflicted more damage on the new Malibu.

drlucky likes this.
  14. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, I just remembered how bad the sound was at concerts, as a rule.

There are two clubs I remember from 10 years ago that had atrocious sound, that's too recent I guess, and rather exceptions than the rule for live bands.

15. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

What I was wondering is how the world got along back in the day before we had people twerking, bumping, grinding, cussing, snorting, slobbering, jerking and twitching to RAP? It's sure a good thing they invented it hhnnnh?

drmordo and RoyBGood like this.
  16. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

There was an old street sign on my street when I was growing up. It was rusted and obviously very old (at least from the 40’s/50’s, I saw it in the 70’s). It was an official “City of ____” street sign, not put up by some concerned citizen(s).

It said:

“No [disgusting racist word redacted] allowed on this street”

I learned to read fairly early, and sounded out the sign. I went home and asked my mom what that word meant. She said it was a bad word that people used for black people. I didn’t know why somebody would use a bad word about our friend from our congregation, Ola Mae...she was the sweetest lady I ever met, even nicer than my Grannie, whom I adored, and asked mom why...

She shook her head and said, “Because many, many people are stupid and bad.” She said it in the same tone whenever we knew to drop a subject.

That sign disappeared shortly afterward. The post was still there for several more years.
    ————————————
    Years later, in the late 1980’s, I dated a young lady of mixed backgrounds, who was from Fort Worth. She came to dinner at my house on a Saturday evening; I drove through town with her in my fiesta red 1964 Ford (I couldn’t sneak around and go anywhere).

The following Monday, everyone in school knew I had a young lady of different background in my car and home the previous week. Most were not impressed...never one to back down from a fight, I didn’t hide the fact that she and I were dating.

One rather large redneck was disgusted by this idea and demanded of me, “How can you stand to kiss her?!

I replied, “Well, she doesn’t dip snuff like your girlfriend and your momma, so that makes it more pleasant...”

It’s a good thing that I was fleet of foot in those years, because he didn’t like my answer at all...

Fortunately, most of the old people have died and even more the bad people have moved further out and the prevailing attitude has changed significantly.

drlucky, philpm, Frontier9 and 10 others like this.
  17. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Bless you, sir.

18. matty428

matty428 TDPRI Member

What about a check dated to before the time you go back to, deposited and then when you back to 1959, withdrawn in that era's cash?

Anacharsis likes this.
  19. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

i always think hamburgers and pizza tasted much better many years ago, but there's no way to find out if that is really true.

20. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

We haven't had checking accounts for half a decade here
    Standing in line at the post office....,not any more.
    There is hardly any post offices left here.
    I miss nothing from the old days , NOTHING

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.