1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What's something from the Good Ole Days that wasn't really so good?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by cometazzi, Sep 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Yep. Taxes, change and death. They all just keep coming around, no matter what.

Although I may indulge in my share of nostalgia, I’m also pleased to report that I woke up today, to be able to consider the premise at all and be grateful for the chance.

I’m at a tricky point where retirement is right there in view and I’m attempting to balance the needs of all those who rely on me with having enough life left to enjoy, and a semblance of health to enjoy it with, once I finally let go of the oars I have been pulling on for almost fifty years.

The thrill of my job is gone, for the most part. My employer claims to count on me, it’s a small outfit and wishes me to stay, but meh.

I certainly have some choice memories as well. And I’d be inclined to say that many of the folks here enjoyed that privilege as well. Even though by today’s standard it was a very modest deal for me – grew up in rent houses, moved frequently, as my mom stayed steadily employed as a teacher, while my father seemed to struggle to find some footing. Eventually he did, and I worked at small things along the way, paper routes and such to help out, but never in any real sort of danger, with plenty of freedom as well.

Certainly seems privileged, though, compared to some of the experiences you encountered in just surviving childhood.

I think the extrapolation that people make that is less than accurate is this: Because my time in that period was pretty choice, by most measures, it most be so for all people that I remember to think of. (grammar police, yes, not compliant, but it comes out rather stilted otherwise…) In other words, that choice experience was not as available as we might think and certainly not when viewed on a global scale.

Not sure I care enough to follow up on it though, as I have my own sticks to whittle.

Anyway, long way around. Thanks for all your stories, keep on reminding us of the good stuff, and don’t watch so much of that tv, it’s the opposite of keeping those artificial joints lubricated.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  2. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I loved The Wire and David Simon is a GREAT story teller... but, the quotation exemplifies the problem. Simon was a journalist. His examples are great story telling and compelling, but the role of the journalist should be to tell the story and GET IT RIGHT. You cannot get the story right if you can't do the math. (I get the juxtaposition.)

The corruption in Baltimore was/is rampant because the narrative remains in the emotional (like Simon's) because it can... no one can process the data, they can see the poverty, they can sense that things are not good, but they cannot seem to do the work of calling out the specific things that are being lied about or manipulated.

What is great about 'the wire' (not the title, the advance that helped them solve crime and corruption) is that the tools (cellphones) were available to everyone... the tech piece was available and allowed them to attack the human failing piece. It wasn't that the data was intrinsically bad, it was that the people were ignorant and did not use the tools at their disposal to fight the corruption and crime.

The Wire is really about the failure to prepare and adapt and overcome, to learn the tools that are being used against you and use them to right wrongs. To me, the quote exemplifies the real challenge--> because we don't prepare and learn how to use the tools, we become victims to them and are manipulated and exploited by those who take the time to learn them.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Right, so say my town has ten times the pop now as in 1960.
    Stats for crime are the same now as in 1960.
    My town has ten times the crimes now as 1960.

Does that mean that just like in 1960, I don't nee to lock my house?
    Because, stats?
    Well, no!

My comments regard how we interpret being safe/ safer etc.
    Not saying the numbers lie but saying that more crime is more crime even if a larger number of victims allows me to enjoy the same ODDS of being one of them.

More crime victims is more crime victims.

So much of our view is based on the idea that what happens to THEM really doesn't matter as long as it doesn't happen to US.
    This gets applied to personal responsibility in society too.
    Why bother to be responsible when our actions don't figure in the stats?

Toto'sDad likes this.
  4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

So if the population declines and at the same time the rate of crime goes up (but not the raw number), you're happy about that?

5. buster poser

buster poser Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

That's fair enough, well stated. Nothing I'd argue about for sure. I guess where I get stuck is in thinking about the exploitation of the data in entrenched power structures.

Using The Wire/COMPSTAT as an example... i.e., the captain/major who has to stand in front of his superiors and justify why his precinct isn't doing well in crime statistics. He probably knows the numbers are rigged, his superiors do too. Maybe if his commander calls him on the carpet about poor stats he loses his job, maybe he says the crime numbers are BS, and loses his job there too. In both cases, it doesn't matter if the numbers are being ginned, they're the official numbers, and failing them gets you a pink slip.

Maybe that's too simplistic, but that's how I read his statement.

6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Another interesting factoid about crime dropping since 1991:

that was about when police depts decided they were outgunned and their old revolvers needed to be upgraded to semi autos.
    Next we saw shootouts resulting in too man bystanders and sleeping kids getting hit.
    So cops guns got clips blocked for fewer shots between reloads.
    From 1991 or so on, a whole lot more ammo was fired for the commission of each crime.

Before that it seems like sleeping kids in their own beds were safe for the moment.
    But as crime started dropping, the chance your kid might be shot while sleeping at home increased if you lived in a high crime neighborhood.

Ask a few police depts how they're doing with hiring new officers.
    Are you finding that with the drop in crime, more nice folks want to be on the street protecting and defending?
    Or is it harder and harder to hire new cops because the dropping crime rates don't equate to cops being safer and having nice friendly lives?

How does the math work there?

7. getbent

population us 1960 186 m
    population us 2019 329 m

homicides us 1960 9300
    homicides us 2019 20398

Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 11.13.09 AM.png

8. getbent

For some fun (and simple math) take a look at Roe V. Wade and its passage. You may find the precipitous drop off of crime through the 90's. An uncomfortable relationship, and yet, when you graph the data, the curves conform identically.

drlucky likes this.
  9. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

10. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Well kids, this has turned about as political as can be.

Thread locked.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.