1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What's popular (or better) P/W or Glaser?

Discussion in 'B-Bender Forum' started by Brewbaker, Nov 26, 2003.

1. Brewbaker

Brewbaker Tele-Meister

I'm doing some educational research trying learn as much as I can before taking the plunge and getting a bender installed. What do most players prefer--the P/W design or the Glaser saddle design?

2. JohnnyAtomic

JohnnyAtomic Tele-Afflicted

to a certain extent, that is like asking which is better a ford or a chevy, or what's better a blonde or a brunette.

but for me, i like the overbuilt solid parsons design.

johnny atomic

3. Zac

Zac Tele-Holic

I own both. Because of the positioning of the actuator, they feel very different. I would try to track down one of each to play. Zac

4. ironweed

ironweed Tele-Meister

One vote for the P/W classic -- solid, integrated, and a musical feel analagous to the "A" pedal on an old Sho-Bud. Optional long-throw version of P/W is even more musical to some users, with 1 1/4" stroke instead of 3/4" measured at the strap button. Have not played a Glaser, but shorter throw and weaker return spring would make it less desirable to me.

5. Teleologist

Teleologist Tele-Meister

I'd agree about tryin' both, but I'm very happy with my Glaser. No friction at the bridge means better tuning stability, the tuning knob is conveniently located allowing quick & easy on-stage tuning, it's a lot less invasive(how much 'metal' does it really take to pull a B-string?), and there's no drum thingie behind the bridge to get in the way. I have the vintage bridge version with normal E/A & D/G saddles - the ashtray cover still fits(not that I'd ever use it). The spring tension IS adjustable(via phillips screw located between endpin and output jack) and I believe the throw is 3/4". Mine's also routed for a full-sized neck hummer and there have been no stability problems i.e. (zero neck pitch movement) in ~5 years.

The guitar does hang differently(although you can still use the normal strap button) and the lever/strap location can be a problem if you like to play high up on the neck. I did a little creative metal working on a Dunlop strap lock to make it more compact, but it's still not ideal. The other issue is the backlog - not bad when mine was done, but now I don't know.

IMHO an ideal bender would use the Glaser type mechanism at the bridge with the P/W lever location. The other thing I'd like would be a lock-out of some kind - sorta like the Jazzmaster/Jaguar trem locks.

6. DblStop

DblStop Tele-Holic

Another vote for the Glaser

I have been playin' the Glaser since 1990 and have not had any problems what so ever.Joe was still workin' out of Corner Music when heput the bender in my Tele for me.At the time I had to wait only a month for my guitar that was pretty quick,I understand he's got a little bit of a waitin' list now.Joe's a great guy to deal with and he stands behind the bender 100%.I'm totally SOLD on the Glaser but try one and see what you think,you also may want to try the Parsons also and then make up your mind after you've played them both.Speakin' of Joe Glaser I talked with hima while back and was tellin' him the wife and I are relocatin' to Nashville next year,he said make sure you come by the shop when you get into town i'd love to meet you.Now there's a true gentleman and I felt very Honered that Joe gave me an open invatation to come by the shop.He's 1st Class all the way.Happy Bendin' all my fellow bendin' buds!!

7. roger

roger Tele-Meister

McVay Benders

I tried the Glaser, ParsonsWhite and the Parsons Green and I like the McVay the best. It's got great tone, doesn't require serious routing,and you can use the stock bridge which is the most important thing. I have a double B&G and it's unbelievable about staying in tune. If I tune it more than once a year I'd be surprised. I can't wait to get the long pull saddles. Mine has the aircraft aluminum saddle like a steel and I don't think it gets any better. I like the fact that a machinist and real honest to God Steel Player designed and builds them. Just my 2 cents.

8. jjh37854

jjh37854 Tele-Afflicted

mc vay info

does anyone know how to get info on the mc vay benders,
    price etc, I cant dfind anything on the web

9. Brewbaker

Brewbaker Tele-Meister

10. davidp158

davidp158 Tele-Meister

Glaser string angle over saddle looks better to me

Zac,

Can you comment on the string tension of the B string on the Glaser bender? I've played a few P/W B benders, and found the B string didn't have nearly enough downward tension to get good tone, or stay in place. As you have both Glaser and P/W benders, I'd like to hear your view on this.

thanks in advance,
    Dave

11. Zac

Zac Tele-Holic

Because the string catches on a fork on the bending finger, there is plenty of downward pressure on the Glaser bender. Sorry it took so long to respond. Zac

12. Big Mike Blues

Big Mike Blues Tele-Meister

I love my Glaser!

HI All,

I'm a newbie here, ( my first post) so wanted to say Hi too.

I have the Glaser in a warmoth tele, took a while to get, long wait, reshuffled wait list while they had it, but it works like a charm. It felt smoother to me then the P/G bender in the Fender.

Pics of my gear on my homepage if interested http://homepage.mac.com/big_mike

:D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.