What's on your workbench today?

eallen

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I was taking a closer look at my neck pocket this morning and it looks like I don’t have it perfectly flat on the bottom. Sort of dips a little on the left side of the pocket closest to the outside of the body. I don’t think I had my template properly supported. Also turns out the whole pocket is at 11/16 instead of 5/8. I’m thinking that I should probably take it all the way down to the low point. Then it’ll probably be at about 23/32. I think I could probably manage this difference when I set up the bridge eventually but I’m not sure. If not, i’m thinking I’d shim up to the proper height. Does this sound like a good plan? Any other ideas greatly appreciated! View attachment 898982

I personally would opt to plain 1/16+ off the top of the body to maintain a correct geometry without having to shim the neck.

Moodivarius

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Playing around making some custom marker dots. Installing in scrap wood. Trying to decide why I want.

I bought some 1/4” stainless tube, & some 1/16” Stainless rods.

Tried a mosaic, not perfect, looks kinda too busy.

EECA89AD-2CAD-4634-B365-E0D122B58500.jpeg

The dark around the edges was from the oscillating sander, got slightly warm. If it’s on a fingerboard, it would be sanded by hand with the radius block, which would rectify that.

The next try was on a scrap piece of Santos Rosewood, leftover from the one I installed on the neck. 1/4” tube with roasted Birdseye maple plug, leftover from the neck.

1D7F36CE-E069-4E47-9CC3-EA11C230BE04.jpeg

2346395F-BB0A-43AE-AC14-D8E9D0EB00A4.jpeg

Might try 1/4” tube with Santos Rosewood plug as well. Then it’ll just look like a stainless ring as the marker.
Maybe the Birdseye plugged one for the double dots on the 12th. o_O

More decisions. :lol::lol:

Scott

guitarbuilder

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Playing around making some custom marker dots. Installing in scrap wood. Trying to decide why I want.

View attachment 899552

The dark around the edges was from the oscillating sander, got slightly warm. If it’s on a fingerboard, it would be sanded by hand with the radius block, which would rectify that.

The next try was on a scrap piece of Santos Rosewood, leftover from the one I installed on the neck. 1/4” tube with roasted Birdseye maple plug, leftover from the neck.

View attachment 899553

View attachment 899554

Might try 1/4” tube with Santos Rosewood plug as well. Then it’ll just look like a stainless ring as the marker.

Scott

Years ago I was into making clocks and did wood within brass tubes. The wood and dots got darker with age to the point you really had to look hard to tell the time.

pshupe

Tele-Meister
Just finishing this "kit" build for a friend. All wood accessories. Cover plates, pup rings, fret board binding and inlays as well as head stock inlays. Just have to ream for tuner bushings and this one will be out the door. Finish sanding, setup, and finish to be done by the customer.
guitar 01.jpg

guitar 02.jpg

Cheers Peter.

Billycaster21

Tele-Meister
Just finishing this "kit" build for a friend. All wood accessories. Cover plates, pup rings, fret board binding and inlays as well as head stock inlays. Just have to ream for tuner bushings and this one will be out the door. Finish sanding, setup, and finish to be done by the customer.
View attachment 899595

View attachment 899596

Cheers Peter.
Looks fantastic! Would love to see it after they finish it.

Davecam48

Poster Extraordinaire
View attachment 899558 Nothing. Nothing is on it!!!! New workbench complete :)
Lovely job on the bench Randy but can I ask where can you position a clamp if you need to clamp to the bench top? Did you make the underside to be able to clamp something down to the top? I also commend you for fitting it with lockable castors underneath. I have recently ditched my old (so called lockable castors) on my large band-saw which I have to move around the shop. I bought some new larger castors which all lock up really well and stabilize the machine when cutting very well.

Lots of storage with those nice drawers too. A well done job!

DC

RogerC

Poster Extraordinaire

View attachment 899552

View attachment 899553

View attachment 899554

Scott
I like using polymer clay inside aluminum tubing. Endless possibilities with colors/shading

51421925363_dd6477cb4b_c.jpg

10599249296_aa037988e1_c.jpg

15078227375_719917e026_c.jpg

Though I think your idea of mosaic dots could be VERY cool with the right layout on the right guitar.

Billycaster21

Tele-Meister
Lovely job on the bench Randy but can I ask where can you position a clamp if you need to clamp to the bench top? Did you make the underside to be able to clamp something down to the top? I also commend you for fitting it with lockable castors underneath. I have recently ditched my old (so called lockable castors) on my large band-saw which I have to move around the shop. I bought some new larger castors which all lock up really well and stabilize the machine when cutting very well.

Lots of storage with those nice drawers too. A well done job!

DC
Hey Dave, any recommendations on castors? The post you commented on inspired me to put my bandsaw on some casters instead of having to take my car out of the garage for a week at a time while I use my bandsaw….

Davecam48

Poster Extraordinaire
Hey Dave, any recommendations on castors? The post you commented on inspired me to put my bandsaw on some casters instead of having to take my car out of the garage for a week at a time while I use my bandsaw….

Hi Billycaster I bought mine at what we call "The Sunday Markets" here where people sell the produce they grow and just about everything else under the sun. There is a man who goes every Sunday and has about four long wooden tables just loaded with handyman tools and bits and pieces. I got them from him. If you shop at a hardware chain get the largest diameter wheels with the hardest brake lever to set by hand. When you fit them to the saw make sure they can spin a full 360' under the base you put the saw on.

It is so much easier to shift with them as opposed to without! My bandsaw is a 14" with a 6 inch riser fitted all cast iron and very heavy.

I bought it in 1999!

DC

crazydave911

Doctor of Teleocity
You may have noticed a guitar body in the background of a lot of my pictures lately. Well I've been doing a renovation of Old Blue, my faithful Strat. Basically repainting and lacquering etc. Well she's ready to compound and polish but I thought a before pic a bit educational (I hope)

received_220398730114024.jpeg

Duplicolor dark blue mist metallic ;)

Davecam48

Poster Extraordinaire
You may have noticed a guitar body in the background of a lot of my pictures lately. Well I've been doing a renovation of Old Blue, my faithful Strat. Basically repainting and lacquering etc. Well she's ready to compound and polish but I thought a before pic a bit educational (I hope)

View attachment 900088

You must have about 150 guitars by now Dave!!!!!:lol:

DC

Billycaster21

Tele-Meister
Hi Billycaster I bought mine at what we call "The Sunday Markets" here where people sell the produce they grow and just about everything else under the sun. There is a man who goes every Sunday and has about four long wooden tables just loaded with handyman tools and bits and pieces. I got them from him. If you shop at a hardware chain get the largest diameter wheels with the hardest brake lever to set by hand. When you fit them to the saw make sure they can spin a full 360' under the base you put the saw on.

It is so much easier to shift with them as opposed to without! My bandsaw is a 14" with a 6 inch riser fitted all cast iron and very heavy.

I bought it in 1999!

DC
Thanks Dave! I think that’s a project for this weekend.

Randy Jones

TDPRI Member
Lovely job on the bench Randy but can I ask where can you position a clamp if you need to clamp to the bench top?
DC

There’s a 1.5” lip around the top which I can clamp to. Castors are key because I don’t have dust collection and also use the space to store our bikes. The bandsaw, drill press and table saw are also on wheels so they can stack against the wall. Garage got smaller so I have a place for playing the guitars in air conditioned space! Drawers were left over from a kitchen remodel.

Billycaster21

Tele-Meister

View attachment 900088

Thanks Dave, I need all the education I can get! I look forward to seeing it progress.

hopdybob

Friend of Leo's

View attachment 899552

View attachment 899553

View attachment 899554

Scott
the first one, if you can make the empty space stay towards the headstock, you would have a nice patern