1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What's on your workbench today?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by guitarbuilder, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Moodivarius

Moodivarius Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Beautiful job!

Scott

crazydave911 likes this.
  2. E-miel

E-miel Tele-Meister

crazydave911 likes this.
  3. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My bench has been quiet, but will have an interesting project on it this coming week as it will involve a large, segmented glue-up of walnut that will in-turn become the rim around a substrate for a mosaic tile, round coffee table. It will be an experience, I'm sure, doing the math to calculate the cut angles and chords to come up with the base construction that will in-turn be round. :) I may try to get the neck for my bass project finally cut, too...still trying to decide on what material for that. I'd really like to get that done so I can begin the finishing processes for the bass project.

Not on my bench, but "on the table", is the decision that Professor Dr. SWMBO and I have made to begin the hunt for "what comes next", AKA "downsizing", albeit with the requirement for appropriate shop space for my laire, of course. Our older daughter (special needs adult) is already living "independently" in town in an apartment with her cat, Harry, and our younger is two months from graduation from Penn State and already living most of the week elsewhere. We really have far more house and property than we need for two mature adults to manage and maintain. :) Thanks to our great bank, we'll be able to do that without selling our current property first which is a plus due to how hot the RE market is right now. Having money and no sale contingency provides an edge. Much time this past week was spent dealing with setting up the financial stuff. So eventually, there will be a "new shop" thread in the Tool Shed discussion area sometime this year I guess.

4. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

Happy news! :D

Jim_in_PA likes this.
  5. slick4772

slick4772 Tele-Meister

I’ll tell you what’s not on my workbench anymore. My Sherwood green strat. I was so close to finishing this thing. I ordered a neck from Warmoth and when I got it the neck didn’t fit the pocket that I routed. I bought a set of the Ron Kirn templates and have been using those but the pocket wasn’t matching the curve of Warmoth’s neck. So I had to re-route the pocket ever so slightly. Hours of work gone in a second when the router slipped and ruined the neck pocket.

I considered a repair for about 10 seconds and then said forget it. I wouldn’t be able to live with the guitar knowing that damage was present. So I took drastic measures.

Attached Files:

nnieman and crazydave911 like this.
  6. nnieman

nnieman Tele-Meister

I burn my screw ups in the fire pit!

A few times a year I get emailed asking about b grade bodies...I always say no.
    If I am not happy with them they keep me warm :)

Nathan

Moodivarius likes this.
  7. betocool

betocool Tele-Meister

Is this the equivalent of the "Sawing the woman in half" magic trick, only in guitar, and oh, by the way, it didn't work out? If you manage to pull that off, you might be onto something there...

Cheers,

Alberto

crazydave911 likes this.
  8. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

The back is on the 000. My first use of a radius dish....I'm happy with the results.

back.jpg

000 top.jpg

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
    zippofan, richa, RogerC and 9 others like this.
  9. crazydave911

Real nice Marty :D

10. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

That's a beauty.

crazydave911 likes this.
  11. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Thanks guys. The dish worked out so well I might put a back on last years parlor I never finished.

crazydave911 likes this.
  12. crazydave911

Sweet!

13. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

I enjoy coincidences and there is one on my bench right now. Back story - I am trying very hard to not do repairs, I'm good at them, people need them, but they are often frustrating and a big hassle. So I've been turning down repairs for the past few months. But people keep calling me - friends and friends of friends. Had a call a couple of weeks ago from the friend of someone I've done a lot of work for - he had an acoustic guitar with internal pickup which has stopped working, could I look at it? Oh, and it wasn't playing very well, could I look at that too? Sure, why not.

Then a couple of days later another call. This one from my motorcycle painting buddy - could I take a look at his Les Paul, the electronics are scratchy and maybe could I check the action. Sure, why not.

So, I'm not going to go into all the details but right now on my work bench are two very different guitars from the two big manufactures with electronic and playability problems

IMG_6652.JPG

Just thought it was interesting.....

14. Freeman Keller

The other part of the story above is that when the Martin came to me it was extremely buzzy and the action was super low. I put a straight edge across the lower bout and there is almost a 1/16 inch of concavity in the top.

IMG_6646.JPG

For the two weeks that it has been in the shop I have had two of my super rehydration sponges inside the guitar in its case. The top has returned to its nice normal dome shape and I can proceed with doing the setup

IMG_6650.JPG

Lesson here, if you have an acoustic and its winter where you live and you heat the air in your house, then hydrate your guitar so I don't have to do more repairs....

15. Doyledagain

Doyledagain Tele-Meister

Does anyone have a solution for using and storing CA glue that actually works? I am so sick of nozzles that need to be friggin excavated before each use.

crazydave911 likes this.
  16. Freeman Keller

I use pipettes to apply thin and medium CA and can usually squirt any excess back in the bottle and reuse the pipettes. For gel CA I just buy the little mini tubes and squeeze out what I need.

Doyledagain and crazydave911 like this.
  17. Meteorman

Meteorman Tele-Afflicted

just more wood chips & sawdust on the bench as a stock emerges
    [​IMG]

zippofan, richa, RogerC and 4 others like this.
  18. Moodivarius

Moodivarius Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

More work on the custom faceplate, while watching my Green Bay Packers loose. :(

I used the laser printer to print the faceplate to scale, then used a clothes iron to transfer the toner onto the plexiglass. After different types of paper, & a few tries on some scrap plexiglass, I got it ok.

Printed out on Legal sized 8.5x14, paper At 100% & it was long enough to transfer everything to my 16” faceplate. Cut out holes in the paper to make sure All the holes lined up with pots & switches. Adjusted a couple times to get perfect.

0AD3BA2B-D341-4781-96F4-69C8471CC88D.jpeg

When I ironed on the paper to the backside of 3/32” plexiglass, I clamped it under a board, to keep in from warping under the heat of the iron. Had to get it pretty hot to transfer the toner well.

64CE6001-B373-4D81-9010-CE62A9B00DB9.jpeg

Then I ran the paper under warm water, softening it, taking it easy, so I didn’t tear the toner off of the plexiglass. From the heat of the iron, it kinda melted the texture of the paper onto the backside of the plexiglass. I tried different cleaners, but wouldn’t come off, & didn’t want to get to aggressive and remove the toner.
    Then I dried & painted the backside.

Here is the first attempt.

FA42049E-1F7D-472F-9013-6ABC4BEF017A.jpeg

For now this is what I have come up with.

ED8E569E-FF0D-43EC-8BDA-C5F99C522C47.jpeg

You can see the areas of like a haze, behind where paper was heated up for the toner transfer.

232EA828-4B82-4269-A9D6-E216CDC46CCD.jpeg

With a Marshall style knob on it to see how that looks.

EA81C7DE-5D42-4555-B591-37BC1FFD21CC.jpeg

I think I’ll order some clear laser transfer vinyl and try that on another piece.

Scott

zippofan, E-miel and crazydave911 like this.
  19. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

It’s always something. Installed the trem and my worry about the string spread was wrong, thank you God.
    Then again, when I went to string it up I found the white tuner buttons I installed were wrong. They just spun without turning the shaft. So I had to install the old buttons and I’ll probably have to buy new tuners.
    Anyway tomorrow I’ll try to do a setup, hopefully no more problems. Wait, one of the switches is sticking, I forgot to fix that before stringing, jeez.

CEC6CCA7-DABC-43AC-B334-2FC7B16A6EE2.jpeg

20. Slowtwitch

Slowtwitch Tele-Holic

I feel for you. but did laugh at your drastic measures LOL

crazydave911 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.