1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What's on your workbench today?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by guitarbuilder, Nov 26, 2011.

1. dougstrum

dougstrum Friend of Leo's

I built this body some years ago, it had an ugly bridge and cutouts for humbuckers. I have a pair of filtertrons and a hardtail strat bridge. So I routed the center section of the top and spliced in a clean section, kinda like a do over:)
    Looking like it'll work out. IMG_20201030_211606976_HDR.jpg IMG_20201031_084616381_HDR.jpg Now to sand it down and rout for new hardware:)

2. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

I got this one fired up the other day, and I'm not in love with the circuit (though I think the box came out nice). It actually didn't work when I first fired it up, I had a bad pot. After troubleshooting, it just didn't have much "fuzz", not like a Red Llama anyway, so I decided on a Fuzz Face.

I've built a Tone Bender with matchbox art, have a number of different fuzzes, BMP etc, but no Fuzz Face. General Guitar Gadgets has 'em so I picked one up. For starters I'm going to build an NPN silicon version, since I like the way the silicon Tone Bender sounds with the right transistors. I have some low gain 2N4124's that fall in the gain range (90hFe Q1, 130 hFe Q2). Let's see how it sounds!

crazydave911 likes this.
  3. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

ETA: That's better! Spent the afternoon trying different sets of transistors, including some 3904's, 2222a's, the 4124's sounded the best of the low gain lot. FF Top Blue Star.JPG IMG_1212.JPG

dougstrum and crazydave911 like this.
  4. Guy Guyatone

Guy Guyatone TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I've got TWO Lag Imperator 200s on my bench. I got them in the factory clearance sale at Guitar Fetish. Set neck, NO hardware at all. Evidently these had been improperly painted and the factory didn't proceed any further, the neck has a TON of poly on it. I’ve been working on the neck as the other parts trickle in. It is a quality guitar, sort of a cross between a PRS and a LP, not often seen in the U.S.. That’s a rosewood veneer on the headstock. My winter project:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
  5. MirageIndigo

MirageIndigo TDPRI Member

Technically this is on my kitchen table, not my bench, but it's cold in the workshop at the moment. Literally everything that can go wrong while wiring a guitar went wrong on this, but it's all back together now.

Rewiring a Baker Super B to swap out the Dimarzios for Gepetto Camelots.

The guitar is fully blind, so you need all of your cunning to get the little mini switches and pots in the right spots. I used a combination of small 24 gauge wires and flexi "gas line" urethane tubing to get everything in place.

In addition I had a weird, weird, batch of mogami coax which had shorts between outer and inner conductors all along the pieces, so it took me 4 or 5 tries to figure out what had happened and why I was getting no signal. I ended up pullingout all the coax and just wiring with twisted pair style since I have no way to shield the guitar.

I also managed to break the bridge ground wire while pulling out the original harness, so needed to drilled a small hole into the main sustain block to ground the bridge properly.

But it's all back together now and sounds great. It's wired separate 2x series/split/parallel swtich -> 2 volume -> 3 way -> master tone -> out.

PXL_20201016_024022579.jpg PXL_20201030_035806402.jpg

6. dougstrum

Got the body sanded out, neck fitted.
    Have laid out pickups and bridge. IMG_20201102_164239791_HDR.jpg need to make router template for the filtertrons, then final sanding.
    I don't want to do a dark stain as already have a couple of naturally dark wood guitars. I am thinking a dark blue metallic finish?

7. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Kitted out the raw components for the small side table to accompany the chair project...

IMG_E8416.jpg

And did a little testing with the Angelus leather dye on the chestnut; chairs will be ebonized with the black and the small table will get the red. Two applications of dye here plus a few coats of matte clear.

IMG_E8417.jpg

8. dougstrum

Built the router template for the filtertrons, and have all the holes cut and drilled in the top:) I've sanded things out and now ready to paint~ IMG_20201104_134521306_HDR.jpg IMG_20201104_140828124_HDR.jpg

9. dougstrum

Got primer and 1st color coat on.
    Think I will like the metallic blue:) IMG_20201104_143306376_HDR.jpg IMG_20201106_130108709_HDR.jpg IMG_20201106_115847343_HDR.jpg

mrz80, hopdybob, RiversQC and 5 others like this.
  10. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

Nice! :)

dougstrum likes this.
  11. epizootics

epizootics Tele-Meister

Fresh off the workbench...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30" scale baritone, two 12-alnico pole minibuckers, Gotoh Nashville bridge fitted onto a custom bridge plate over a hollow cavity. Ash body, mahogany neck, wenge fretboard. Huge sound and an absolute nightmare to set up. Glad to be done with it :)

mkster, hopdybob, Zepfan and 6 others like this.
  12. dougstrum

Thanks Dave, I think I'm going to like the metallic blue. It will be quite a departure from my usual clear/natural wood finish~

crazydave911 likes this.
  13. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

mmmmmm, that looks appetizing.

crazydave911 likes this.
  14. dougstrum

@epizootics that's a great looking guitar!
    I really like that Nashville bridge, cool look:cool:

crazydave911 likes this.
  15. photondev

photondev Tele-Afflicted

20191209_092046.jpg
    this is the resulting guitar

16. ping-ping-clicka

I really like your work, can I have it , please, pretty please, if you give it to me, I'll play rock and roll with it , promise
    kenny.jpg

17. photondev

photondev Tele-Afflicted

Sorry, it's one of my favorite guitars

it's a rocker for sure, I love P90's, these are the first ones that I have ever used; I don't remember where I got this set, probably some ebay no name cheap pickups

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
  18. ping-ping-clicka

I was paying you a compliment while being ridiculous. I came upon a older Tokai Les Paul double cut with 2 P-90's that is now mine and it is magic.

crazydave911 likes this.
  19. Raoul

Raoul TDPRI Member

Cool instrument! Thinking about a baritone-- what was it that made set-up so difficult?

20. epizootics

epizootics Tele-Meister

The only thing I can think of is the string gauge. I went with GHS 14-70s and they buzzed like maniacs. They were the only baritone strings I could find locally before the country went into lockdown again. The guitar was to be shipped out to a friend - his belated 50th birthday gift! - and I didn't have enough time to place an order online.
    Basically, I had to create a LOT of relief with the truss rod. Thankfully I went double action. I'd say the strings themselves didn't have enough tension to create relief by themselves. On top of that, even with a high action, they kept buzzing even though they were nowhere near the next fret. My friend will have to set it up for himself I'm afraid...

I'd say the same strings would have been fine on a 27"/28" scale, but the 30" seems to call for something heavier. There aren't as many choices for baritones as there are for either bass or regular guitar scales - that's something you want to take into consideration.

Apart from that, baritones are great fun. Even in the same register as a 25.5" scale (standard guitar E) they sound different, a bit like playing the same notes on tenor or alto saxophone.

Raoul and crazydave911 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.