1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What's on your workbench today?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by guitarbuilder, Nov 26, 2011.

1. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

Kinda ironic, my great grandpa made chairs and stools mostly, with a treadle lathe no less :).
    BTW, what scale length on the Bass? My youngest son who is a long time bass player seems enamored of my 30" basses with my Rage amp. I just build them because of easier to play ;)

Dave

eallen and Zepfan like this.
  2. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

For the referenced build, it's standard P Base, whatever that happens to be. Since it's a "first time" for the bigger instrument, I'm starting with Alex Navaro's files and just changing the headstock to "my shape", resulting in a 3+1 arrangement and the same general body shape as my BroBuild. It will look a little different however, as tentatively the plan is for...orange. :) I started a build thread a week or so ago and there's an initial render of the body shape in that thread.

eallen and crazydave911 like this.
  3. RiversQC

RiversQC Tele-Meister

Earlier this week (last page) I posted a few poplar jazzmasters I treated with water-based stains. Well, today was unseasonably warm here, so... unexpected guitar finishing day!

My cherry jazzcaster was looking a little plain and, because I had refinished it, I had missed a few small spots where the wood was still sealed and resisted the stain. Ugh.

20201023_112401.jpg

So I figured I would do an impromptu burst (my first) with rustoleum paints, see how it goes. Experimental. Keeping expectations very low. But also knowing it was probably my last chance this season. And also working around a few work meetings. :rolleyes:

So my plan was to do a few light clear coats, then matte black, then more clear. Clear looked good:

20201023_171219.jpg

Waited a bit then did my black. Looked way better than expected BUT apparently I went over a run in my clear (it goes on thick). Something like a disaster.

20201023_142812.jpg

I should wait until totally dry, then sand and fix, but no time for that. Waited 20 minutes then sanded with 400.

20201023_123139.jpg

Touched up:

20201023_171305.jpg

Better but still visible. Left it a few hours, then sanded and sprayed again.

20201023_170828.jpg

Way better fix than expected! I was making enough progress I ran to the store for more clear. They only had matte in stock but that's cool. Roll with it:

20201023_174838.jpg

And since I already had the matte black and clear out, refinished another project too - I'm making a rough black esquire like my avatar tele.

20201023_171449.jpg

Deadly. Great day!

4. Meteorman

Meteorman Tele-Holic

Princeton Reverb cab. Tele color scheme, reissued antique radio grille cloth
    10E6A86E-A2F6-4C2F-A42C-6F8CEE18588A.jpeg BEB76CF1-3091-4E97-B89D-F5FB2A66A100.jpeg

87Lion, u-mix, dougstrum and 16 others like this.
  5. betocool

betocool Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Some basic fixes and random upgrades yesterday...

Putting an adjustable bridge on my acoustic... Worked out quite well...

IMG20201024113613.jpg

IMG20201024114205.jpg

IMG20201024120300.jpg

IMG20201024141941.jpg

Plus some fret leveling that was way overdue, I'm pretty happy it all turned out ok.

Cheers,

Alberto

6. betocool

betocool Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

And now, lots of sawdust, lots and lots... and still then more to come...

IMG20201025144243.jpg

IMG20201025162203.jpg

IMG20201025162823.jpg

Still needs some clean up...

Cheers,

Alberto

LeftFinger, crazydave911 and SacDAve like this.
  7. Jim_in_PA

Learning a little about chair making compliments of a friend who does that for others...first dry-fit. I originally cut the seat for him and he provided the raw components for the rest from his prototyping pile for me to refine. Once I get through this I plan on getting back on the set of Nakashima Mira stype chairs I started in 2003 and set aside for various reasons. That mahogany and ash is really well seasoned at this point! BTW, this chair is made of reclaimed chestnut, believe it or not, and will live in that gallery room I recently renovated in the 250 year old portion of our home.

IMG_E8382.jpg

I also faddled a little with some refinements to the design of upcoming bass build in Aspire. I'm just about there with the body and now have to revisit the neck and make sure my headstock redesign didn't screw up anything.

8. peterg

peterg TDPRI Member

Quite possibly the most ridiculous template ever made. For my first 3 builds I made outline templates and separate neck, pickup and control cavity templates. With a couple tele builds lined up its time to make a template combining the outline and cavities. My first attempt was a failure - the neck pickup and control cavities were fine on their own but were not aligned with each other and the bridge pickup cavity was too big. I cut out the neck pickup and control cavity routs and made a new bridge pickup template then glued them on to the outline template. The spaces in between were filled in using scrap material. Now I need to rout cavities and the outline. I intend to make a final template with 1/2” material.
    7D57A24B-5D6B-4465-B4A8-FC3BC5A0FD71.jpeg

9. mtorn

mtorn Tele-Holic

I've been looking for a good whitewash, and this looks nice.
    Care to elaborate on the process?

crazydave911 likes this.
  10. CraigB

CraigB Tele-Afflicted

Based on late '60's Gibson Skylark, SE EL84 and 12AX7, scavenged Marshall Class 5 transformers (probably the ugliest iron I've ever seen), 10" Eminence in tweed deluxe style cab. Fun little amp!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

dougstrum, richa, nickhofen and 6 others like this.
  11. RiversQC

RiversQC Tele-Meister

Thanks, Mtorn. I used Saman water-based stain - not sure if that's available where you are but pretty common in hardware stores here. I'd looked past it for years but I'm actually quite impressed. Similar product would probably perform.

Simply sanded to 320 and used a t-shirt to apply two coats, trying to keep edge lines wet to avoid brush marks. Then used poly for topcoat.

crazydave911 likes this.
  12. mtorn

mtorn Tele-Holic

Merci beaucoup!

It seems like Amazon carries it, although not in stock at the moment.
    I didn't consider that it could be a simple as a stain - generally I think of stains as accentuating the grain, and darkening the wood, not the opposite.

crazydave911 likes this.
  13. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

I spent my weekend finishing up the gaming/YouTube studio:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Friend of Leo's

My wife said she wanted a cookie off this log so I cut one off
    IMG_20201022_143115708.jpg

Then she popped it in the oven but I think it overcooked or something
    IMG_20201026_194245090.jpg

CraigB, Jim_in_PA, tewiq and 3 others like this.
  15. epizootics

epizootics Tele-Meister

Can you PLEASE keep this as an outline and make a guitar with it? You can call it the 'HenriMatisseCaster' :) :D

16. Magnuseklof

Magnuseklof TDPRI Member

Hi!
    Since acquiring a big piece of Honduran a couple of months ago I've been thinking of what to make from it. I've now decided on a Coronet style guitar as my first build from the mahogany. I could not find a plan or drawing of the older, symmetrical body with the 3-on-side head, but I found a drawing of the later asymmetrical one with the funky, 6-in-line headstock and worked that one over in Illustrator. Then I ordered laser-cutting of the template pieces in MDF, never done that before but it worked well. images showing my re-sawing a one-piece, 3-inch thick block for the body (bloody hard work) and the templates I received yesterday.

/Magnus

IMG_1608.jpg
    IMG_1629.jpg

17. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

Nice :) See Rob/Barncaster about a juicy Firebird pickup :D

DrASATele and Magnuseklof like this.
  18. Jim_in_PA

I finished the assembly for my chair project...I had to ask my friend who designed this thing if he had a shop octopus to help get all those back spindles in place during glue-up because they are under tension/bent with the two outer ones engaged into the seat. I coulda' used a few more hands for sure! These are made from old chestnut, by the way, but because some of the parts came from my friend's prototyping bin and have imperfections, etc., they will be ebonized. That will still show the beautiful grain, but hide the issues further.

IMG_E8391.jpg IMG_E8394.jpg

A little detail....

IMG_E8389.jpg

I have a second one of these to build and have designed a small round, dished table to match.

Moving closer to starting the next git-fiddle build...

87Lion, eallen, dougstrum and 11 others like this.
  19. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Had to take a neck apart on a guitar I was modifying. The previous owner had stripped the head of the trussrod and I couldn't adjust the neck that had a small hump at the 3rd and 4th frets.
    The trussrod was welded at both ends by someone that tried to fix it before.:confused: No wonder the head of the adjustment screw was stripped.:lol:

Attached Files:

20. Jim_in_PA

Prototype for a small side table to go with the chair(s)...

EBFD0590.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.