1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What's on your workbench today?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by guitarbuilder, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Jackadder

Jackadder Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Well, that is one mighty tight bushing!

bushing.jpg

2. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Wow...bummer on that, Jack. Looks like it had previously been plugged and re-drilled, too.

Moodivarius and crazydave911 like this.
  3. Jackadder

Yes, Jim, originally drilled for 10mm modern tuners but I now prefer vintage....hope the glue holds, this is the best neck I've ever made!

4. betocool

betocool Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Lotsa sawdust. Giving the new bandsaw a workout. I have in mind an acoustic or two, no real date, no real plan (a bit), but I thought I'd do some prep work on the sides. Got some pine from a bed that was not needed anymore, and decided to have a try at making 1.5-2mm thick walls for future bending. First one turned out not too bad.

IMG20201011123427.jpg

So I went and did four more, 90cm (about 3 ft) all more or less the same thickness.
    IMG20201011130230.jpg

You can see the waves from the bandsaw cutting.
    IMG20201011132359.jpg

But I noticed it's nothing that some 60-120-240 grit sandpaper and lots of elbow grease cannot get rid off.
    IMG20201011132408.jpg

I'm not going to bother smoothening out the "inside" of the body, just the outside. Plus, the wood, as it is, is pretty flexible already, so I hope I can give it a good twist and turn when the actual time comes.

Overall, pretty pleased with myself. I guess that happens when your expectations are zero.

Cheers,

Alberto

5. stratisfied

stratisfied Tele-Meister

Coupla' partscasters waiting for tuners to install bridges, rings to mount the pickups and get wired up. Hmmm... must be a lefty bridge on the walnut one. lol I just threw it on for a pic and didn't even see that.

IMG_3149.JPG

6. zorgzorg2

zorgzorg2 Tele-Meister

This time it's about what the workbench is going to be on! I've been renovating the floor of a shed we have in the garden, the structure was mostly rotten. Do new structure and new wood flooring will make a great shop, my first one (after having worked outdoors for 5 years so far)! 16 m2 of woodworking happiness 20201011_154552.jpg

Magnuseklof, tewiq, RiversQC and 9 others like this.
  7. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

I was minding my own business working on a couple of Neapolitan mandolins when a friend walked in with a 50 year old Moog Taurus bass synthesizer and said "you're an electrical engineer, can you fix this?"

IMG_6611.JPG

I said "I WAS an electrical engineer, I've never seen anything like that before but lets just take a look"

IMG_6608.JPG

Totally Rube Goldberg little switches for each pedal that just look like trouble waiting to happen. Obviously a few repairs in the last half century since it was designed

IMG_6609.JPG

That never stops us, eh? Cleaned and lubricated the funky little switches and put it all back together.

IMG_6610.JPG

Anyone for a little Emerson Lake and Palmer?

8. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

9. Jim_in_PA

Freeman, that Taurus pedalboard looks pretty darn nice for how, um...mature...it is! Glad you were able to clean it up. Some of my early gear was like that...funky switches, etc. I don't miss that stuff!

crazydave911 likes this.
  10. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

Its not a pedal board, its a bass synthesizer. The pedal are one chromatic octave with a whole lot of effects on top. My wife wouldn't let me bring it into the house.

11. Jim_in_PA

We who play keyboards, including things like pipe organs, often refer to that as a pedal board; different context than guitars. My apologies for that. I'm familiar with the Moog product...'didn't own one, but faddled with one at Medley Music many years ago while I was there to purchase a DX7 and TX816 rack unit. (two more DX7s in rack form)

LeftFinger and crazydave911 like this.
  12. NightOwl

NightOwl Tele-Meister

Here's the bane of my existence lately.It's a Tru-oil finish. What a pain! lol

Attached Files:

tewiq, Zepfan, RiversQC and 3 others like this.
  13. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

I do not envy you. People say tru oil is an easy finish but what they mean is anyone can rub some coats on a slab of wood and get somewhat acceptable finish but a flawless finish is painful haha :twisted:

NightOwl and crazydave911 like this.
  14. GunsOfBrixton

GunsOfBrixton Tele-Afflicted

Need a small rack to hold a 1 space power supply / conditioner. Will sit under my deluxe reverb head. Now just need to tolex it.

20201013_154802.jpg

20201013_154806.jpg
    Simple construction with butt joints, glue and pocket screws. 3/4" pine boards.

15. GunsOfBrixton

20201014_155133.jpg Tolex applied. Working with contact cement / spray adhesive is a pain. Waiting on the amp corner protectors. Also need to paint the inside black. And build a fake grill cloth cover for the front. And I want to make a small sliding shelf for the open
    Rack space and attach some kind of small parts bin to it.

20201014_143631.jpg

16. NightOwl

NightOwl Tele-Meister

Oh, trust me, it's far from a perfect finish. It's good enough. Since it's for me, and not for sale, I really don't care if it's perfect. I tend to ding them up anyway. I don't know why everyone has a hard time with tru-oil. It's an easy finish to use. It's just a pile of coats. It's very forgiving. It's just slow and tedious. It buffs out really nice after sitting a while but those darned witness lines! lol

crazydave911 and Asmith like this.
  17. GunsOfBrixton

Continuing with my latest project. Added a removable front panel. Held on by magnetic cabinet latches. There are tolex pull tabs on each end of the panel to make removal easier. And the corner protectors came today so I installed them. They were a bit fussy going on. Had to bend out the inner little tabs a bit to get them on.

20201015_162242.jpg

20201015_162306.jpg

18. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Friend of Leo's

slick

GunsOfBrixton and crazydave911 like this.
  19. Jackadder

The eagle has landed....

IMG_2714.jpg

20. peterg

peterg TDPRI Member

Upgraded my kit guitar. Replaced the cheap import switch that came with it for a 5 way Fender style switch to add half cocked and series options. CD6619F2-08AB-44A4-8281-C85BE4804EE6.jpeg

NightOwl, ejphotos, RiversQC and 7 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.