What's on your workbench today?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by guitarbuilder, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

How thick is that tele 2-piece neck in the first fret space? I am working on one, and I am afraid it may be too thick. TIA

2. devrock

devrock Tele-Meister

That's beautiful! But can I implore you to not route that much wood away next time? You shouldn't have much more than 1/8" to route, otherwise you're very prone to that bit (I have that exact bit that I don't like to use any more because it was "grabby") grabbing a chunk out in the blink of an eye and even ripping it out of your hands. It might not be as much of an issue with a roasted piece, but still worth consideration next time. I'd hate to see you lose one of those necks to damage. Best to use a spindle sander or something to get rid of a bulk of that extra wood.

John Nicholas likes this.
  3. Rob L

Rob L Tele-Meister

I love that body shape, color and setup. Well done Jim!!

4. Moodivarius

Moodivarius Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Mine is pretty close to the Modern C. 0.840 1st fret, 0.875 12th fret.

Fender’s specs are 0.83-0.84 & 0.88-0.89

Scott

5. Rob L

Rob L Tele-Meister

Well, some of you may remember my post about laying the minwax on thick. Well it didn't crack and it was drying nicely...until...I went to move it and the board I had screwed into the neck pocket broke and the guitar took a tumble, on a rug. It couldn't just land be done, oh no, it tumbled. The rough rug tore up stain all over the body. While deciding to either run into traffic or burn the thing I took it outside and used metal scrapers and took ALL the stain off and sanded the hell out of it. 80/100/120/150/220/320. And still could get all the stain off but it's just little bits here and there.
    So I used the rest of my mohawk sanding sealer on the front and started staining the green! It's not as dark in real like as in the pic but I have an entire 6oz tube if need be.
    You can see the back is bare wood. I talked to a luthier I found and he is sending me a pint of General Finishes Water Based Black penetrating strain and a pint of General finishes Water Based wood conditioner. He swears by them and has been using them for years. He prefers the conditioner over the sanding sealer.
    SOOOO...we'll see what happens! The top should be done by the time I get the rest of the stuff. But I have to say the front is really looking good. Very little blotching. The head stock is the same way.
    But I will never use Minwax again after this.
    Oh my friend says hi. I named him Sparky after Sparky Philips.

IMG_0249.jpg IMG_0243.jpg IMG_0250.jpg IMG_0252.jpg IMG_0234.jpg

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  6. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

When I saw that I was cringing. The adage I've heard so many times is no more than a business card's worth and I live by it. I've lost a few necks because of my own stupidity. Even with the upcut spiral bit.

I'm glad it worked out!

John Nicholas and devrock like this.
  7. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Thanks, Rob. I like the look, too.

I got a few minutes to do some of the finer setup today. It sounds pretty nice...loud, actually. LOL It needed minimal intonation and the action isn't too bad from a first go. I want to work with it a little more to make it even better.

Installed the tuners on the neck for my BroBuild, too.

Rob L likes this.
  8. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

I've found that when I want to make something totally black, water soluble analine dye really does the number. You can dye it twice to be sure. Then it doesn't matter which kind of finish you put over it, it's going to be BLACK. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008L2M0CA/?tag=tdpri-20
    Of course, mixed in water it does raise the grain, so you have to preraise the grain and sand, or stain/scuff sand/restain. You could also buy Transtint which you could also mix in the finish after staining.

nnieman and Rob L like this.
  9. tonyw

tonyw Tele-Meister

Rewiring a blacktop tele and a blacktop jazzmaster, the wiring fender releases these guitars with? well they should be ashamed of themselves.

rewire.JPG
    Flip the lid and the wiring literally fell out
    wirebt.JPG

crazydave911 likes this.
  10. torodurham

torodurham Tele-Meister

2 strats
    1 tamo top and back
    1 pink champagne 20200521_204804.jpg 20200521_201805.jpg 20200522_133922.jpg

11. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

Warning, the following images may be graphic and hard to view....

Now that I have your attention, the short story. Five years ago I built three little single ought acoustic guitars - what some people would refer to as a "parlor" guitar. One went to my daughter, one to a friend's daughter and I kept one for my self.

IMG_2970.JPG

I love that little guitar, play it often and am totally impressed by its voice. But one thing has always bugged me about it - it was not my best finish jobs, for some reason the lacquer got all hazy on several places. I'm sure it was humidity issues when I sprayed it, I tried several times sanding out the haze and I tried "blush remover" - nothing worked so I built it up and have been playing it ever since. Its hard to see in this picture (my guitar is the one on the right, it is Mad rose, the one on the left is Braz and doesn't seem to have it)

IMG_2975.JPG

Here is one more shot, you can see the hazy look next to the inlay

IMG_6330.JPG

Anyway, I played it again the other night and said to myself, "self, you've waited long enough"

Its a bolt on neck so that comes apart pretty easily. I only glue the f/b extension very lightly so it can be taken apart with just a little heat

IMG_6332.JPG

Neck off, time to go to work

IMG_6333.JPG

Fortunately the finish is lacquer, unfortunately its all going to come off. Taped off the top - it will get refinished but doesn't need to be stripped

IMG_6338.JPG

smear chemical stripper all over and go to work with a scraper

IMG_6336.JPG

IMG_6337.JPG

Do the same to the neck

IMG_6334.JPG

More to come, I need a beer.

12. betocool

betocool Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Not worth a complete thread, but here goes anyway.

I built a pedal and a pedal board. Let's take it step by step.

So the pedal is a distortion pedal. Pretty simple, one input JFET, one gain PNP and one output buffer PNP. Total gain about 30dB, lots of distortion.
    circuit.png

I had tested this circuit previously on a bread board, all good. Next step was to put it on a vero-board, while the wooden enclosure was hardening and drying:
    IMG_20200516_114035.jpg

IMG_20200516_133115.jpg

I've found that a layer of alu-foil does wonders if it's there, compared to if it's not there.

IMG_20200516_172942.jpg

All good so far.

Except the bloody pots. Damn it's difficult to find good non-scratchy new pots in any of our electronic shops. Next time I'll have to make a rather large order of Bourns pots from RS or someone. It's so frustrating! Anyway, first tests where ok, I'd deal with the pots later. I'm also happy everything fit inside. Just.
    IMG_20200520_171605.jpg

So next I worked on the pedal board. Which was pretty easy, three pieces of wood, sanding and oiling. Some drilling here and there, but that was it. Next problem was the power supply, a chinese 9V 3A wallwart switched power supply. The supply powers the pedalboard, which then powers whichever pedals are on top. It worked very well on the DS-1 and the Chorus, I guess they use op-amps inside them. Because my circuit is just transistors without any feedback, the power is fed almost directly to the output. The bloody switched power supply was switching at 5KHz... creating a very annoying "peeeeeeep" while playing. I checked the noise on a PC analyser I have:

supply_No_Filter.png

I tested a double LC filter, 100uH and 1000uF:
    IMG_20200521_202243.jpg

Lo and behold, the noise went almost away!
    supply_Filter.png

No peeeep anymore!

IMG_20200517_162522.jpg

IMG_20200521_202140.jpg

Very happy with the unit! It's a different "grunt" than the DS-1, but growls nicely. It goes from a little, to very much growly. The output is not limited, so the complete gain will put any amp in distortion mode too. A fun unit to play with.

Cheers,

Alberto

13. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Holic

wonderboy is still alive as a project. This is just a pine test piece 15902121855133496964562796181654.jpg

14. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

@betocool just curious about your output volume control on the pedal, are there any reasons why didn't you opt for a standard voltage divider setup.

15. betocool

betocool Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I don't know really. It seemed like a good idea at the time. But now that you mention it, the voltage divider would have worked just as well.

Cheers,

Alberto

16. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

I was just thinking at lower volumes it'll be loading the signal down more but to be fair the output cap is a high value and that output buffer has a low output impedance so I don't see a need to change it if it works.

17. Rob L

Rob L Tele-Meister

I have a question for those of you who have stained a lot of guitars. I always painted mine. The India Ink one was the first I used dye/stain on and my current one is only my second so forgive me if this is a total noob question.

My body is white poplar. This pic looks darker then it is. It's actually the color I want but in person it's much lighter. I have 5 coats on so far. You can see where I used Aqua Coat and stain to fill the string holes. They got really dark. So dark they stand out more then I wish they would. And they will be visible. No bridge to cover them. :(

My question. Can it get to a point where the body just won't take anymore stain? It just won't get darker. It was sealed which really helped. I don't have another water based stain to mix with it. The Ebony I have is oil based.
    So am I correct in assuming a body will get to the point where it just won't take more dye?

Thanks in advance everyone. :)
    IMG_0249.jpg

18. Rob L

Rob L Tele-Meister

I always thought it would fun to make a few pedals myself. Then I look at your schematics with a glazed look in my eyes and say...wtf, I'll just buy one...:D
    Looks good though. Wish I had the know how to to do something like this.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  19. boop

boop Tele-Meister

20. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

A little charcoal burst action for the blackout guitar

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.