What's on your workbench today?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by guitarbuilder, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Mark Grant

Mark Grant Tele-Afflicted

Up off the bench! The R9 got strings the other day. Still more fading and aging to do but it’s a player. Everything came together without any drama. Leveled/crowned/polished the late ‘59 spec frets, strung it up and the intonation was nearly perfect. Not bad considering I removed the original fretboard, pulled the neck, reset with hot hide glue, fabricated the new Brazilian board, reassembled and abused it. Sounds like a massive telecaster! Win. 92AB52D9-B377-403D-AC65-7CC44B09441A.jpeg 945CC9E2-6EA2-433F-92D5-40E5618D35B4.jpeg 90B9CC22-A224-4101-9525-60B548ECA9F3.jpeg

2. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

3. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

i hope the pickups still work, but i think these guitars have potential. have a copy of the japanese Custom. also a long rehab.
    thin body, resonant and a very strange 6 way switch

crazydave911 likes this.
  4. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]
    could be used in a Gibson catalog fur sure

5. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

Simple project today:) Month ago I put a DiMarzio fast track 1 in the neck of my mahogany tele and like the result. Had a chopper bridge pickup in parts bin and decided to fit it in the neck on my thinline.
    Made an aluminum plate with 2 holes for mounting like strat pickup. Used two dots of super glue gel to fasten it to the bottom of the pickup. IMG_20200116_112729151.jpg IMG_20200116_120951074.jpg
    Sounds good I'll try it this weekend:cool:

nnieman, Jim_in_PA and crazydave911 like this.
  6. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

An El Degas? What I thought this was at first. But no Made in Japan on the neckplate, Gibson flowerpot trussrod cover and Gibson serial number pots? And then the weirdness, a L6 Custom serial number in the neck pocket (a glued in body with a neckcpocket?) and Midnight Express serial number on the neck,both 1972 ;)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  7. ejphotos

ejphotos Tele-Meister

Mark Grant and crazydave911 like this.
  8. mefgames

mefgames Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Rear control cavity routed with lip including cover and comfort contour shaped. IMG_0123.jpeg IMG_0118.jpeg

Mat UK, eallen, nickhofen and 6 others like this.
  9. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

sorry, i did not mean to say your guitar was a Japanese ore something, more that a L6 as is can be a good base for a fine guitar. they are not popular, but i think that is because some expect LP style sound because of the bodyshape.
    as far as i could try it i like it, eventhoug i don't like LP type bridges, the sharp edges of the saddles. i tackled it with ones with roller saddles

here is mine, lying for a reset /shifting of the fretboard by heating up the glue and giving the neck a backbow so when the glue gets cold it will can stand the pull off the strings.
    i had a serious upbow that could not be removed with the trussrod.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

eallen, crazydave911 and dougstrum like this.
  10. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

i want to remind you that alu beneath the pickup can drastically change the sound.

from Bill Lawrence

eallen likes this.
  11. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

Must not be enough aluminum to affect the sound, and it was an easy way to change the pickup from 3 to 2 screw mount. It sounds good and I will find out how I like it tonight.

12. Bugeater281

Bugeater281 Tele-Meister

First painted guitar. Finish is far from perfect. But I’m happy with it. E545AE49-D287-4480-9F4A-D29DD377B674.png

Blue Bill, nnieman, eallen and 9 others like this.
  13. crazydave911

No offense taken my man :lol:,the El Degas was a fine Ibanez lawsuit ripoff of an L6-S except for the dead giveaway of that neck plate, that model had a set neck.Gibson and the faithful could have cared less,they didn't like it either :rolleyes:
    BTW,you missed the mark slightly, it's the shape of the Gibson L5 but much lighter. Bill Lawrence did this intentionally to differentiate it from an LP but alas,the faithful and even Gibson didn't understand.Look what they've done to the poor Melody Maker,slim and light and just screaming for some P90s to come alive but has Gibson or anyone done it? Hell no,it's been routed repeatedly for humbuckers in a vain attempt at a poor man's LP :rolleyes:. Mine in build progress appears to be the first with P90s and I'm loving it. When I think of all the Super Humbuckers trashed trying to get an LP out of an L6,makes me sick and angry.Now mine will not be wired original,playing and hearing the real thing I as usual had no use for the phase positions. Mine will have a 4 position rotary switch.Neck,both in series,both in parallel and bridge,or some variation. If you need any old or updated wiring diagrams or pics,shoot me a PM. I fell too deep in this rabbithole lonnnnnng ago :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Dave

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  14. MapleCreekVT

MapleCreekVT TDPRI Member

in An effort to practice on some cheap materials I’m building a body from 2x4s

here’s the blank I got glued up.

I’m also going to use this build as an opportunity to try a shellac finish and a sprayed on lacquer for the first time.

I have a pile of leftover hardware and parts to finish the build.

eallen, RiversQC and crazydave911 like this.
  15. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Yes they did do it. I bought one off a friend. I didn't care for it so I sold it off again.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=174140722628

16. crazydave911

Nice! :D

17. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

duplicate post

18. crazydave911

19. bl28

bl28 Tele-Meister

Epoxy was poured two days ago- should be fully cured by tomorrow. The clarity is looking great so far - I don’t see many bubbles. I picked up a birdseye maple neck to go with it. Looking forward to the detailed section of the build. 42D8A1CE-8442-4990-B7BE-FCE04B2BB68C.jpeg B0C9A952-B782-4421-A5FC-959A9A6C6024.jpeg

eallen, crazydave911 and LeftFinger like this.
  20. brandonh

brandonh Tele-Meister

This sweet little jazz box, an Eastman, came home with me from work a few nights ago.
    IMG_1626.jpeg

A buddy of mine plays in a big band outfit during snowbird season and thought he might want to gussy this thing up with some waffleback tuners and a matching tailpiece. I shook some screwdrivers and drill bits around, learned a few lessons about floating bridges, and took it back to him this morning. He picked it up and made it sing!

IMG_1652.jpeg

IMG_1650.jpeg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.