What's on your workbench today?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by guitarbuilder, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Mark Grant

Mark Grant Tele-Afflicted

Busy busy with little stuff this week. Martin thought it would be a good idea to make guitars out of countertop material (HPL). Prob is you can’t glue anything to it. The bridges are Bakelite. Cleaned it up, scored it and rolled the dice. Hope it stays on long enough for the owner to sell it. Never will touch one again.
    7D2E5A19-39E7-463B-8C54-53DC0E6745BA.jpeg 0B81A80B-1D99-4FCA-B3DB-AB03CDC37E40.jpeg

Les Paul Studio got an ultimate electronics upgrade. Mojo pots, NOS Russian pio Russian caps and a set of my PAF’s.
    459ECB2B-6F17-43B5-9846-A4B8574D992D.jpeg 0BCD984F-3700-47E5-8CDE-C2FABCCB48C3.jpeg 7C22F9B1-2ECF-4785-9FB8-B6B54B2D019B.jpeg
    1957 Grestch Country Club came for a quick visit. It had 2 scratchy pots. Besides the tuners the guitar is bone stock so replacing the pots is not the way to go. I was able to clean them from the top (thank goodness). It left here clean as a whistle.
    52C8569E-A0FE-49CC-9496-9843597E6684.jpeg

Mat UK, glenlivet, Blue Bill and 12 others like this.
  2. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Too bad the bridge wasn't something that could be solvent bonded to the laminate top...pretty looking instrument, however!

3. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

There have been discussions at OLF and UMGF where folks say that Martin used some sort of slow set epoxy for their HPL bridges. I've fixed two of them and told the owners to expect them to fail in the future. I also recently did a cracked side seam on one of the HPL Martins - repaired it with medium CA and reinforced the split with surgical tape saturated in CA. The general feeling is that it will probably fail also

1218190905_HDR.jpg

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
    crazydave911 likes this.
  4. Mark Grant

Yup. I used CA gel to put the bridge back on. A friend did one that’s been holding for 3 years now. I will solve the prob permanently by refusing to work on HPL instruments. It’s ridiculous! Martin recommends a certain 3m CA gel and says that is what they used originally.

5. Mark Grant

T
    Total piece of crap! We are talking about Martin. MARTIN!!!!

6. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

What do you do when you need to make 4 guitar necks? You make a neck loaf and then just slice 'em off :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Maroonandwhite

Maroonandwhite Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

What neck profile would you consider that? Lol

8. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

maybe stupid reply, but if this instrument is crap, why not bold the bridge to strengthen the glue joint?

9. Captain Nutslot

Captain Nutslot Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

lol that's great! loaf.

crazydave911 likes this.
  10. Captain Nutslot

Keeps reminding me of cow utters

FB03C5B8-37C6-433E-8F10-6C764FD44A14.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    nickhofen and crazydave911 like this.
  11. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Looks good

crazydave911 and Captain Nutslot like this.
  12. Captain Nutslot

Control cavity templates :cool:

crazydave911 likes this.
  13. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

I was too fast

Captain Nutslot likes this.
  14. Captain Nutslot

The smaller corners may be a touch tight??

F12D29C6-4545-4C32-B258-8E22A8E83EC4.jpeg

crazydave911 likes this.
  15. tnt423

tnt423 Tele-Meister

One seriously warped fingerboard. Thankful for the toothing plane! 20200108_114912.jpg

16. Jim_in_PA

I do a bit of inlay pocketing for a client who does resin inlay on charcuterie boards and related...this week's challenge was this little number that I had to really tweak a lot to both fit the piece and full cut without going below a 1mm end mill. This is about 8" tall for reference.

[​IMG]

Mr_Q, hopdybob, ejphotos and 8 others like this.
  17. RogerC

Manly :lol:

It just seemed to be the most appropriate word for it :D

Captain Nutslot likes this.
  18. RogerC

That really nice! Did he come to you with a rough design and then you created/tweaked it in your software, or did he have a CAD file you already?

19. Jim_in_PA

Thank you!

He just verbally described what he wanted when he dropped off the material for the various pieces to be worked. I had to do a bit of searching to find a donor graphic that I could trace and then substantially alter to get the size and general design that the client wanted. I could not have used that particular graphic if he was selling this piece because of copyright/royalty, but this particular board is for his wife. ;) Fortunately, with software like Vectric's application that I use, I can leverage on-screen rendering to insure that the design will cut with the selected tooling and make adjustments accordingly before committing to the actual material. It took, oh...about a half-dozen efforts to get this one where it cut completely after I initially created it so that the 1mm end mill could get "everywhere". There were too many places where elements narrowed too much, so I had to do a lot of node editing on the vectors to fix that. I didn't want to step down to my .023" fretboard end mill because they are a lot pricier than the E-Bay or Amazon 1mm tooling purchased in groups of 8 or more. :)

One of the things I truly appreciate about this particular client is that he gives me a lot of "artistic license" when I'm cutting for him and that keeps things moving. He's not been unhappy yet and listens to my suggestions when I detect that something isn't going to work like he thinks it will. He's also a master at finding really gnarly stuff that is horrible for big projects but amazing for things like charcuterie boards, etc.

brandonh, RogerC and nickhofen like this.
  20. Mark Grant

Not stupid. Martin absolutely should have bolted this bridge on. But it’s not mine (thankfully) and that mod would most likely effect the value. I am advising the owner to sell it asap while everything is tight and right. It’s a horrible guitar and Martin should be ashamed of themselves for producing such a pile of crap. Especially because the concept is a failure. “Let’s build a guitar impervious to environmental changes...and....ohh yeah btw the bridge will fall off...” lolz

Mat UK and hopdybob like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.