What's on your workbench today?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by guitarbuilder, Nov 26, 2011.

1. RiversQC

RiversQC Tele-Meister

Dedication is a charitable word, thanks. ;)

I can't bring myself to just down tools for 4+ months so I do get out there on warmer days. I also built a small workspace in my garage/shed this summer so I can work partially inside, this was just such a nice mild (and beautiful!) day. Sure beats shovelling too, haha.

eallen likes this.
  2. glenlivet

glenlivet Tele-Meister

Chopped down an old FM25r...

turning it into a mini-reverb tank.

almost done with the cabinet...

fm1.png

fm2.png

3. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

yeah, I guess you guys are past this now, but that ST-62DGF on the neck definitely sounds like a MIJ model. That would have the small headstock and RW FB. I don’t know what the DGF part stands for, but apparently it’s a pretty common suffix on 90’s MIJs, including teles.

4. RnB

RnB Tele-Meister

Just put an Area T Neck Pickup in a Warmoth Body where I had routed the cavity out for a Humbkr years ago.
    I had to put the mounting screws right up close to where the cavity is routed out for the humbuckers legs. Consequently, the new pup sits cockeyed in the quard & looks silly sitting crooked! Looking for any recommendations for a fi...short of routing & filling the humbkr leg holes in cavity...

Also: Since the guitar was setup like a '52 Hot Rod w/ a Mini in the neck, I used 400k Alpha pots. Would I be better-off switching to 250k CTS Pots? There's a Dimarzio Hot T in the bridge spot (DP-413) that I'm leaving there.

thumbnail.jpg

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    John Nicholas and crazydave911 like this.
  5. ejphotos

ejphotos Tele-Meister

Very nice looking guitar and the color combo looks great, but yeah as others have said, it's a MIJ 62 reissue.
    MIJ strats are great guitars.

6. Mark Grant

Mark Grant Tele-Afflicted

I recently made a new template for my duplicarver for the 1959 Les Paul top. Tom Bartlett hooked me up with a beautiful very lightly flamed cnc carved maple top that will be the top for my 1955 Les Paul gold top replica. His 3d file was derived from scans of the genuine article. The shape is beautiful; the carving is incredible. I used it one time as the template for my new master template that is made of Corian before it becomes the ‘55. Carving Corian was pretty wild. It’s the slowest moving, most arduous material I have worked with. Once I was finished with the initial carving the sanding begun starting with 80 grit and finishing up with 400 then a little oil/wax rub. It took me about 6 hours total. So stoked to have this bonafide profile locked down. Happy New Year to you all, cheers! 00A558D2-0B14-42F5-93D9-CFFB83FEA393.jpeg 628346DE-87ED-4BDF-9253-C2EDCBC46DE4.jpeg 4B06CCE3-653A-4281-B5F0-B336534BF34C.jpeg D78C9FD7-0CE6-4EA6-B04E-149B082FA5F2.jpeg 7AF2FDD9-D677-418C-90E1-190351757BBF.jpeg 547E673D-22CB-48F2-BC41-5F86B633DBBD.jpeg BF77B352-4A46-41EC-8508-2DD4B8B7DCB7.jpeg E41E17E1-DCF5-4167-BD33-391AA218338F.jpeg

7. Treadplatedual

Treadplatedual Tele-Holic

2nd that for plans, that's a beautiful jig!

old wrench, crazydave911 and eallen like this.
  8. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Friend of Leo's

Beautiful template Mark now try it with a 3/4" straight bit , from my efforts they leave a smoother finish than the core box . But maybe thats just me. The first time I tried it was on a complex curve on an english cheek piece I was impressed

9. Maroonandwhite

Maroonandwhite Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I have the same issue with my neck pickup. I assume it’s the pickup wire pushing on the top of the cavity right? I was hoping mine would eventually “settle” and the wire would loosen up. I’ve also though about applying some mild heat and try to train the wire down.

10. Mark Grant

Mark Grant Tele-Afflicted

Thanks. 3/4” straight bit would loose detail for what I’m doing. This core box’s tip most closely fits the shape of my stylus. I am completely happy with this setup but thanks for the advice. Sanding and scraping by hand to finish is enjoyable for me. And, yeah, I’m all done carving Corian for the foreseeable future. Lol

eallen likes this.
  11. RnB

RnB Tele-Meister

Nope, the wires are not the problem. They're out of the way.

Where I had to drill the holes for the Area pup, they were so close to the edge of the holes routed for the mini's legs, I screwed the new holes slightly away from the edges. They looked OK when the pkgd was put on, but when the neck was put back on, it pushed the pkgd & pup towards the bridge. Thus, the neck pup suffered...

I think I'm going to fill the leg routs w/ Durhams Water Rock Hard Water Putty & redrill new screw holes. Stuff gets extremely hard & hope it will hold the screws tight...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000LNS2LU/?tag=tdpri-20

Maroonandwhite likes this.
  12. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Unbelievable result Mark!!!!

DC

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    crazydave911 and Mark Grant like this.
  13. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

Would you be extremely against a pickguard mounted pickup?

crazydave911 likes this.
  14. RnB

RnB Tele-Meister

Would simplify the problem wouldn’t it!

I Already have a pkgd w/ the screw holes drilled, but like for the screws not to show...for a cleaner look.

crazydave911 and Asmith like this.
  15. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

The beauty of the X carve. Press a button and out pops a guitar ( part) for my spare parts project.

overlay3.jpg

16. nickhofen

nickhofen Friend of Leo's

Well done ,it looks sharp Marty!

guitarbuilder likes this.
  17. guitarbuilder

Upon further review, it is off my centerline. I shall redo it or at least repair one hole. The bit crashed into one of my wood clamps on its way. I bet that didn't help things.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
    nickhofen and crazydave911 like this.
  18. guitarbuilder

I cnc'd some rosewood plugs from scrap in 5 consecutive sizes. One fit. I'll glue it in and then redrill.

plugs.jpg

Andre Rock and nickhofen like this.
  19. nickhofen

nickhofen Friend of Leo's

Ok I will be take it as is,lol!

20. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for the kind words guys :)!

I credit the smoothness of the "as machined" fretboard to minimal slop in the jig and also to router bit I've using with it.

The bit has a nice design - it shears with an "up" action and makes a very smooth cut.

It's a solid carbide Freud hinge mortising bit that comes with a bearing for use with a jig like my Porter Cable hinge mortising jig. I remove the bearing for use in the fretboard jig.

The Freud product number is 16560

You can see that the way the bit is ground it does most of it's cutting at the outer tips -

IMG_0944.JPG

And, chucked up in the router ready for a fretboard -

IMG_0884.JPG

I did a little thread on the fret board compound radius jig build and it has quite a bit of info on how I built it.

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/and-yet-another-radius-jig.954268/

If I can assist in any way, just let me know with a PM or whatever :).

There are different ways to go about building a compound radius jig, this is just the version I came up with :).

g

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
    nickhofen, eallen and Treadplatedual like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.