What's on your workbench today?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by guitarbuilder, Nov 26, 2011.

1. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Harvest the celluloid keys (are they?) for making binding...

2. Jackadder

Jackadder Tele-Holic

Readying for frets....

3.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

3. moosie

I've been busy the last month or so, with Christmas and birthday gifts... and a Telecaster. Only a few more weeks before a forced three month vacation due to the cold.

The Tele is my second body build, and first neck. Went with a StewMac hot rod spoke wheel heel adjust truss rod. I mixed the color myself - can you tell? It's not Coral... more like Bazooka Bubblegum... but it's grown on me. My 4 year-old granddaughter will love it! The neck is still only half-carved - had to stop to get cracking on some presents.

The big picture frame with the ancient family photo is for my brother, who suffers from TBI. His brain is shot, and we're hoping he can recognize himself, and his family, and that it gives him some comfort. If you look, you can see layout marks in the upper right corner. At one point the birdseye was slated to be a Tele neck, and those are tuner hole placements. Didn't see them until the gloss went on. Too late! (I found that piece of birdseye - much larger piece, actually - in the maple rack at Home Depot. Surprise!) The orange-ish wood in the center is Sirari, aka Bolivian Cherry. Very dense and hard. Works nice, with occasional interlocked grain. I used a high angle plane for the smoothing, and had no trouble.

The Wenge/White Oak box with purpleheart/curly maple sliding tray is for my wife. She takes little interest in my work, so when I get a little reaction from her as the piston-fit lid closed... bingo! We got a winner. I love that quartersawn figure - it wraps around all sides. It came from a large piece, resawn. I have another hunk attached to the back of my table saw, to support the homemade folding outfeed table. So, I get to look at that sun-spray grain all day long. Never gets old.

I think I want to try fitting a piece of velvet-wrapped poster board into the bottom of the box. I upholstered a tweed cab once, does that count?

The curly maple / walnut picture frames are for my dad. We'll be celebrating his 86th birthday this weekend. Almost done, a few coats of lacquer over the sealer should pop the color a bit more. And then install the 'art sandwich': PETG acrylic, matting, backer board (paper), 1/8" hardboard (lacquered), metal tabs to hold the hardboard in, and then wire hanging hardware.

Ironically, the frames began as one larger frame. I messed up - minor but critical - a couple times. The first time, I opted to make two frames, so I could use the too-short leg. Second time, it was the short leg I mis-cut, so I had to drop the frame size. The frames keep getting more, and smaller. I hope I finish soon, or I'll have a dozen 2x2s... and no waste! :lol:

If the weather holds, next up is a batch of little Pau Ferro / Curly Maple boxes. A few with spline miter corners, a few with 3/16" finger joints.

20191122_012955.jpg

20191118_003743.jpg

20191122_013007.jpg

20191122_013034.jpg

20191122_013014.jpg

brandonh, CraigB, Blue Bill and 5 others like this.
  4. Jmwright777

Jmwright777 TDPRI Member

Haha the last picture almost had me thinking you had a pair of blue jeans and someone mooning us through the frame! It made me look twice! All those projects definitely look great though!

5. ejphotos

ejphotos Tele-Meister

Wow, shut up and take my money for this single cut lol :eek:

Mark Grant likes this.
  6. moosie

I noticed that after I posted, and wondered if anyone would comment. I did a double take, too!

7. Mr_Q

Mr_Q Tele-Meister

Ick. I am clearly not badass enough to live in Oz.

Good luck, y'all.

John Nicholas and crazydave911 like this.
  8. Mr_Q

Mr_Q Tele-Meister

Maybe pull out that nice dark amber from the center stripe?

Or even a darker green transtint?

crazydave911 likes this.
  9. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

crazydave911 likes this.
  10. Jackadder

Jackadder Tele-Holic

Thanks, Jim. I've had this fretboard blank sitting around for ages, and the myrtle neck was the very first and only one I've ever routed from a template - normally with freehand there is plenty of room to whittle things down to spec, but not this time....

Frets are in - I had a length of jumbo Evo wire that was enough for 1-12, and 13-21 are Evo medium jumbo, teensy bit not-as-high and a fair bit thinner, interested to see how the combo works....or doesn't....

1.jpg
    2.jpg

The scene of the crime...

3.jpg

eallen, mefgames, CraigB and 7 others like this.
  11. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Friend of Leo's

Paper Birch Table Red Oak Trestle

Table being finished in shelac

Butcher Table.jpg

CraigB and crazydave911 like this.
  12. Mark Grant

Mark Grant Tele-Afflicted

Jerry Gracias prototype is moving along. This is the project the buffers Helmut is making are destined for. Claro Walnut solid 1 piece body. Not a replica of any guitar, merely a tribute and what I would make for him if he was alive today. Freshly smoothed after the duplicarver here. Still working on the cavity templates. FD9680C0-123F-49A7-B8A7-910DAACB62B2.jpeg 9747E0A3-A74A-4BB9-A128-87C4E68E15BF.jpeg 4D1EA6CB-F54D-4BB8-AFBE-67DA6C9C850C.jpeg BFC257BA-7B8F-4D81-97D4-93A603D405A2.jpeg

nosmo, eallen, Slowtwitch and 18 others like this.
  13. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

Wow!

Mark Grant likes this.
  14. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

Wow, MG, that's amazing!
    jg.smile.jpg

moosie and Mark Grant like this.
  15. torodurham

torodurham Tele-Meister

I think you are referancing my build..? If you want any info..not a problem..happy to.

16. mefgames

mefgames Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Actually just off the workbench, this 330 clone. All maple body, book matched on the back, maple/mahogany neck with a rosewood fingerboard. Creamery '63 pickups, sperzel locking tuners. Amber-glo tinted nitro lacquer.

IMG_0015.jpeg IMG_0017.jpeg IMG_0019.jpeg IMG_0021.jpeg IMG_0022.jpeg IMG_0025.jpeg IMG_0026.jpeg Actually just off the workbench, this 330 clone. All maple body, book matched on the back, maple/mahogany neck with a rosewood fingerboard. Creamery '63 pickups, sperzel locking tuners. Amber-glo tinted nitro lacquer.

17. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

I got a crazy idea stuck in my head that just had to get started. It's a travel guitar that I have several design goals for. I will take him home, I will call him Quark. You can see my build thread for more.

[​IMG]

18. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

Oh yeah, did some stuff with dye today:

[​IMG]

19. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Friend of Leo's

Every time I get my duplicator set up to do that someone comes in and needs a rifle stock right away and I end up taking the tables out again

Mark Grant likes this.
  20. moosie

Very cool!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.