What's on your workbench today?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by guitarbuilder, Nov 26, 2011.

1. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Holic

My first foray into extension speaker cab: radiata pine, appx Princeton dimensions. I wanted a cab that I could easily install and take out speakers for break-in and testing with my amps (pulling baffles and/or reverb tanks on my PRRI and DRRI is not fun).

After watching a few Youtube videos I took a stab at a finger joint jig on my table saw. After 4 fine adjustments with feeler gauges and still not getting a joint that would seat across 9" I threw in the towel and went with a dado joint reinforced with a corner blocking, plenty strong. I also have a new appreciation for anyone who can stretch grille cloth and get the lines to stay straight. At any rate, it's serviceable and I built a little tilt back leg for it. I went with Fender dimensions for height and depth (even the 1.5 degree taper from bottom to top) and 5/8" thickness. Next time I'd probably go a few inches wider for breathing room. Not ambitious enough to venture into tolex, I opted for a quick catalyzed furniture finish. IMG_2485.jpg P1020547.jpg P1020548.jpg

2. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Holic

Eallen, That big piece of walnut on the tablesaw with the necks has got some incredible grain and color in it (obviously not kiln dried). I hope it makes it into a neck- TP

eallen likes this.
  3. Bugeater281

Bugeater281 Tele-Meister

Not really guitar related, but we’ve been residing our house. And after sanding the garage(detached) we found the cedar underneath is in amazing shape. So we decided we’re going to take it down to bare wood, and finish it naturally. So now I’ll get to build guitars in my cedar garage. Guess I’ll have to make some cedar guitars to match.

And I though sanding a guitar was time consuming.:lol:
    EED64C83-8D27-4184-80F2-599D4606B814.jpeg

4. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Coming from a guy who cobbled up a 12" cab not long ago,that is SWEET!

telepraise likes this.
  5. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

A few years ago I put together a little kit amp and needed a cabinet for it. Had some oak so I built a little sled for my router table and tried to make box joined corners. It came out OK, not great, but I'm happy

IMG_2986.JPG IMG_2987.JPG IMG_2990.JPG IMG_3010.JPG
    IMG_3015.JPG

IMG_3016 - Copy.JPG

IMG_3017.JPG

And no, the seams aren't straight on mine either.

6. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Sanding anything seems like forever.

Bugeater281 likes this.
  7. eallen

eallen Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have hundreds of board feet of walnut from tree top logs off the family farm. Many of the 5/4 ones like have aair dried for a couple years until it gets under 9%. Some of it end up as necks.

I have a stack of thicker 9/4 walnut and one cherry milled earlier this year ready to go to the kiln when I get around to it.

Eric

Edit, somehow I reached the max photo uploads for the month and it is only the 2nd day?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  8. erix

erix Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

E5F273E0-DCE1-474C-8443-CEFBC0BF2F91.jpeg CCD830D2-41BA-43D5-B176-C1442E7B35DA.jpeg 358782DE-6098-420A-9985-01A41D7AF64F.jpeg Thinkin ‘bout a 63’ tele clone made of a 1-piece Honduran mahogany blank from Gibson’s Parson Street auction back in the 80’s, 2 flatsawn curly maple boards from a big box, and an 8’ long jarrah board with the most ridiculous figure I’ve ever seen.
    The maple might not be good for a neck but I have some other boards that wood work...

9. mefgames

mefgames Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Removed the hard dividers and built 2 compartments from 3/16" ply with covers, all tolexed to match the case. Just a few details left to finish.

IMG_7678.jpg IMG_7681.jpg l

10. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

3AAA91C7-4F2B-4886-829E-07F617E9A4A5.jpeg I am getting slowed down..

11. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Holic

12. Jake Nelson

Jake Nelson Tele-Meister

[​IMG]
    opening up a whole new can of worms, but i have been wanting to use a spray gun for a long time. time to spray some sanding sealer on my non-reverse

DrASATele and Jim_in_PA like this.
  13. CraigB

CraigB Tele-Afflicted

Hope ya'll had a wonderful 3-day weekend. Saturday was a work day for me...but Sunday and Monday got to work more on the box for the SE 50C5 amp.

Started to glue in some rails to bolt the speaker baffle onto, and my scrap wood bin caught my attention. Glued up some scrap walnut, paduak and mahogany offcuts to make a front. Was gonna do a TV front, but decided to cut a 10" diameter hole instead. The grill cloth I used is nice, but the wood is much prettier.

[​IMG]

Drilled mounting holes and put everything together for test-fit Monday morning. I used an Eminence Patriot 8" spkr. Sounds pretty darn cool. Played it for a bit while I waited for the sun to go over my house so the east side of the yard where I make all my dust was in the shade.

[​IMG]

Then took it all back apart and made back panels. The mounting rails are from the same walnut scrap as the front ripped into 3/4" strips. The top and bottom panels are 1/4" walnut "hobby panel" from HD. Center panel paduak is to protect the tubes.

[​IMG]

Tuesday morning, my hands are really sore from all the assembly, disassembly. What's left to do? Disassembly, sand, sand, sand (got some nasty router burn and some scratches to deal with) and then figure out what to do for a finish!

14. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

I've got a little preview of what these two bodies are going to look like:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Wow...I really love that body shape! Stellar!

CraigB likes this.
  16. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

May I respectfully suggest Helmsman Spar Varnish. Used it on brightwork and masts and spars in another life and protects and keeps a shine in a salt water environment for 3 years guaranteed. How much longer it lasts inside? I've done 27 guitar necks and 5 amp and 10 speaker cabs over 25 years.Still waiting for it to go bad :lol:

CraigB likes this.
  17. ejphotos

ejphotos Tele-Meister

Wow...I want this second one...seriously...

18. devrock

devrock TDPRI Member

19. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

Beautiful! I want the top one. Is that walnut?

20. CraigB

CraigB Tele-Afflicted

Ah-hah, good call Dave! Used that to paint my front door at the old place. The front entrance was south-facing, so the amount of sun per day on it made for some brutal conditions. That was in 1993. When we moved out in 2000, it still looked pretty darn good, but had we stayed there, I would have used the same stuff to refinish.

I was leaning toward doing an oil finish on this, but I'll definitely be thinking of using the spar varnish. Or what about both? Could I use the oil to pop the grain and slurry sand to fill the pores, then once that's cured apply the varnish over it?

Here's the tube chart I'll be gluing inside the cabinet printed on some parchment-looking card stock I got at Office Depot. Wasn't really the plan, but it pretty closely matches the ivory color I sprayed the chassis with!

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.