What's on your workbench today?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by guitarbuilder, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Holic

Currently using Zpoxy to grain fill and ash non reverse firebird/ Jazzmaster/ Jr. First time using it and so far it's going well. This is my second coat and later on today I'll sand it back down and see where I stand on needing a third coat. If not then I'll move onto sealing it.
    IMG_5886.JPG

2. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

I'm using a 560R resistor in series with a 9v supply, it looks a lot brighter in the picture than it actually is.

3. Jake Nelson

Jake Nelson Tele-Meister

little time in the shop today. it’s been months. routed the pickup cavity’s on my 93% non reverse
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. epizootics

epizootics Tele-Meister

This is sooooo cool. Jazzmaster & nr-Firebirds are always a great blend.
    This ash screams for a LOUD pickguard! Something like what Deimel did on some of the Firestars, natural ash + vibrant blue or purple guards.

Jsil13 likes this.
  5. nickhofen

nickhofen Friend of Leo's

Floyd rose tremolo block tuning wedge.
    60118172_2338023399569011_134518066473074688_n.jpg 60334941_2227331960913222_4045086618409762816_n.jpg

6. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Holic

Haha. Deimel was definitely an influence on this build for sure. I was actually going to go with a black pickguard on this one. My last few builds have all been pretty flashy and I wanted this one to be a bit more subdued. I plan on making a pickguard similar to an SG Jr but made to fit the FB body. Here's the build thread http://www.tdpri.com/threads/non-reverse-firebird-jazzmaster-jr.944476/

7. brandonh

brandonh TDPRI Member

I'm home with the squab today. I got some plane irons sharpened up while she was taking her nap.

I loaned my Norton 4000/8000 stone to a buddy and it came back with a serious gouge down the middle of the 4k side. It took a fair bit of persuasion to get it back to a useable state. I think it took longer to do this than it did to sharpen the irons.

IMG_8086.jpg

The irons were looking a little grungy. I haven't had much shop time lately, so it was nice to finally catch an hour to clean these up. The edges weren't too bad, despite the neglect. The block plane was worst with a few small nicks, but I was expecting them all to be worse.
    IMG_8087.jpg

Low-angle jack, low-angle block, and No.5 iron and chipbreaker. I've stopped chasing mirror edges in favor of sharp enough.
    IMG_8088.jpg

I'll be putting these to use on a walnut stand for my stereo equipment. If I plan my cuts right, I may have enough offcuts for a geetar. :twisted:

richa, nickhofen, Zepfan and 2 others like this.
  8. nnieman

nnieman Tele-Meister

Somebody (an enabler) brought me an old, dissembled piano.
    So I played with some reclaimed pine today :)

La Cabronita - Duo Jet avec p90s - Jazzmaster

Nathan

IMG_2354.jpg IMG_2356.jpg IMG_2358.jpg IMG_2366.jpg IMG_2362.jpg

9. Moodivarius

Moodivarius Tele-Meister

Removed burs off fret ends. Polished frets & fingerboard.
    Oiled the fingerboard.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Zepfan, tone57, brandonh and 2 others like this.
  10. Moodivarius

Moodivarius Tele-Meister

Here is my control cover with light reflection on it.
    Before spraying last 2 coats, 800gt wet sand, cleaned, then 50%nitro/50%thinner spray.
    How should I buff, & how mirror finish should it end up?

image.jpeg

Reflection of my dining light.

11. tone57

tone57 Tele-Meister

I'd try to match the gloss with the surrounding wood.
    I use Meguiar's ScratchX, followed by Their Ultimate Polish, followed by a pure paste wax.
    Fter that i can hold it up to a book and easily read the text ( upside down i know ) heh..

Looks great so far though..

12. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Holic

This just came off the bench this afternoon. Believe it or not this board came from Home depot - just digging through the pile about 20 years ago.

upload_2019-5-15_20-11-45.png
    upload_2019-5-15_20-15-1.png

zippofan and Zepfan like this.
  13. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

I got this SX PRS clone a couple years ago and it didn't have a trem arm with it, so I ordered one off of Amazon(hadn't got here yet). Then I though, I should've checked the block. It had a decent tone, but I thought I should check it anyway. I looked at it from the back access plate and it looked like your ordinary zinc/potmetal trem block, so I measured the the string spacing at 10.5mm and ordered a steel shorty block for Asian import guitars from GFS.
    Well the damn block doesn't fit. Why? It's Made In Mexico spaced 10.5mm string spacing, but the plate screws and trem bar is spaced different. WTF Aren't these made in Asia?
    Then I looked over the original block and it has a some what shiny appearance to it and it's almost as heavy as the steel block from GFS. A magnet will not stick to it so I don't know what material it is. It's going back in with the new arm from Amazon.
    The GFS block will end up in something else I guess.

I wonder what this original block is made of? It's too heavy for the usual zinc/potmetal, has a shiny appearance and it's nonferrous/non-magnetic. DSCF0802.JPG DSCF0803.JPG

14. eallen

eallen Tele-Afflicted

Just a few necks and fretboards. Walnut and curly maple for my builds and a cherry for someone else's partscaster.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Eric

15. Moodivarius

Moodivarius Tele-Meister

Just picked this up tonight.
    Went over to visit a buddy & he gave me this.

image.jpeg

Not sure what year or model.
    I'll get it running soon.

16. mefgames

mefgames Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

I really like the tool rack on the wall !!

TreblaNitram and I_build_my_own like this.
  17. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Oooooooooooo

18. epizootics

epizootics Tele-Meister

Nice ! I went to see a British band called Housewives yesterday and the frontman played an antique, battered Silvertone that sounded like a million bucks. Those are cool little guitars!

Today, my workbench is occupied by this wee one:

[​IMG]

A guitar for my brother's fortieth birthday. Super-old Douglas fir, heavy steel wraparound, two low output Mustang-type pickups. All the templates are ready, a whole bunch of routing to do tomorrow...

19. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

I looked at the trem block from my Johnson by AXL Strat made in Indonesia and that block is Made In Mexico spaced for the plate and trem bar as well. I wonder how many more Asian made guitars are spaced this way?

20. cleanheadsteve

cleanheadsteve Tele-Meister

i disassembled two free pianos that were approx 100 yrs old each and was only able to salvage some fairly worthless poplar and some nice ebony black keys. i also kept the big strings for a future bass build. not much to salvage in those rascals. the soundboards were both broken and didn't have very tight grain.

nnieman likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.