What's on your workbench today?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by guitarbuilder, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

This thread totally non-guitar related but was certainly done on my workbench!

Several years ago when my wife and I returned from a China trip we brought back some of her small household and personal items including a pair of stainless steel scissors. These have to be the most excellent scissors I have ever used and as well as a great cutting ability they also have a built in bottle opener and a toothed grip for stubborn screw-top lids. The best part is their cutting ability which is brilliant as they easily cut cardboard to the very finest paper to crushed velvet.

Sadly one of the handles broke off rendering them impossible to use. Not being able to use them made me realize how much we used them.

Anyway after SWMBO put them in the rubbish to dump them I rescued them and used the good handle to make a pattern for the pin router and I cut out a new handle from some scrap red gum which is just a tad softer than high tensile stainless steel. I was lucky that the slot required to fit the steel handle stub into the new handle is almost a perfect fit to a slot cut by a fine metal cutting disk sander blade, so one cut with the angle grinder and some JB epoxy and Bob was my Uncle, SWMBO thinks they're good and I had a modicum of fun!

DC

IMGP0119.JPG IMGP0120.JPG IMGP0122.JPG

2. LuckyJinx

LuckyJinx TDPRI Member

(this is all hearsay, I've only done one refret and I probably should redo it because it could have turned out better)
    What radius is your fretboard? You want the wire slightly overbent so if any part of the fret is being pushed out of the board by the metal spring, it is the middle which is being held in more firmly by the wood. There's fewer barbs counteracting that at the ends, so you might have fret ends sticking up slightly. That curve is probably good for 10" radius and up, but you probably want to bend the wire a bit more for 9.5".

Unless it's stainless, in which case you want it to match the radius exactly because if you overbend it it is strong and springy enough to pop out despite the middle barbs trying to hold it in.

Mr_Q likes this.
  3. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Silver Supporter

It depends on what your fretboard radius is. If it is less than 10, I'd build a jig to overbend it. If you don't want to make an elaborate one, you could probably get away with 3 strategically placed bolts, nuts and washers in a piece of wood. Another thing that would work could be a round circle of wood with a groove in it.

bender.JPG

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    nickhofen and Mr_Q like this.
  4. Mr_Q

Mr_Q Tele-Meister

It's 9.5, so I'll build a bender and get it right.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

5. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Silver Supporter

If you plan on doing more of this stuff, then a bender is the way to go.

Mr_Q likes this.
  6. Bugeater281

Bugeater281 Tele-Meister

Not terrible for my first paint job.

Will deff lacquer work over dupli color perfect match? And how soon can a spray the clear?

83FE7B6B-4616-4218-A655-220841094AE1.jpeg 8FC0C28A-5F2C-415B-9B8D-A09C2DF76B72.jpeg

Captain Nutslot likes this.
  7. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

I wouldn't use Deft lacquer at all. I used it on my first couple of builds several years ago, and it never really got hard.

jkingma and Bugeater281 like this.
  8. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Tele-Afflicted

I hope I didn't lead you astray LOL. That might work but in my opinion is marginal - I would rebend it. I built my first fret wire bender out of some bearings and odds and ends and set it up for the two radii that I normally use (10 and 14 for 12 and 16 inch boards) but then I found myself wanting to do others so I just broke down and bought the StewMac thing. It has worked well but takes a couple of minutes to set and check each time)

Mr_Q likes this.
  9. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

If the Deff is Acrylic Lacquer, it will work. The Dupli-Color clear for wheels works great. I've heard bad things about their regular clear, but don't know for sure.

tone57 likes this.
  10. RolandG

RolandG Tele-Meister

Nice to see. It always amazes me when people don’t make these things themselves

11. nnieman

nnieman Tele-Meister

Looks good

I’d use watco from Home Depot.
    Let the duplicolor dry for a week or two before clear coating it.

Nathan

Bugeater281 likes this.
  12. nnieman

nnieman Tele-Meister

06A9E070-1EC0-4C19-A4CB-76583322664E.jpeg A2345E55-445F-4956-A9A2-D28E73B95B56.jpeg 350EF4EF-F5EC-41D2-828F-506FF47A25AA.jpeg 9E7112DD-1C55-468A-8756-EF856AA6BCCB.jpeg

Too windy & rainy to spray today so I made some pickguard.

Nathan

13. eallen

eallen Tele-Afflicted

How soon depends on what the color and clear coats are. If it is lacquer over lacquer then 30 minutes after the color coats area finished. There is no reason to wait lacquer over lacquer. IMHO.

Eric

14. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

tone57 likes this.
  15. YALCaster

YALCaster Tele-Meister

Some new bodies

B9B450EF-9996-428D-A41A-76920247DD8B.jpeg

16. Moodivarius

Moodivarius Tele-Meister

Filed the nut & sanded saddle down, to get the action close to the Fender's recommended setup.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Pierce, zippofan, mrz80 and 7 others like this.
  17. Recalcitrant

Recalcitrant TDPRI Member

Basswood in ReRanch (Gretsch) Orange. Oh yes, it's soft! Self-relicking. And soaks up water-- seal your screw holes! This swell flattened out after drying a few days. IMG-0439.JPG IMG-0438.JPG jr1.jpg

zippofan, mrz80, TreblaNitram and 8 others like this.
  18. nnieman

nnieman Tele-Meister

tone57 likes this.
  19. tone57

tone57 Tele-Meister

Well, after that pickguard, this is a bit underwheming,
    but for me it was a bit of a breakthrough.
    The PuP rings and Plates were too thick, and the amount of sanding prohibitive.
    I dread resawing on my table saw, just absolutely terrifies my fingers..
    but i made a jig, sawed out the middle 1/8" and that leaves me with 2 3mm plated to use.
    the parts come off the machine faster ( not really an issue, not like i am manufacturing or anything ),
    and the amount of dust is way less, plus thw pots and switches will fit correctly.
    anyway, cut some in Rosewood and Birdseye today.. The Flame Maple was from an earlier run.

ThickVsThin0410191705a.jpg

20. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.