What's on your workbench today?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by guitarbuilder, Nov 26, 2011.

1. tone57

tone57 Tele-Meister

I repaired the headstock right after i bought it.
    It stays in tune and plays well, so i just wanted to smooth out the headstock plate and the back of the neck where i put it back together. Haphazardly i admit.
    At the time, considering what i had invested, i figured that if it failed i would just strip out the guts and such and put them on a body / neck i made.
    It actually sounds pretty good too. The Epiphone buckers are split capable 4 wires and i started the week out thinking maybe i should just use the stuff, with some better tuners and pots, and such, but the thing stays in tune so well and the action is fine, so i have a $50.00 guitar that, name on the headstock notwithstanding, i'd just keep it and try out the repair angle.
    It might benefit from a spline, and i have plenty of carbon bar, but after 2 years plus, i can't complain.

2. Bugeater281

Bugeater281 Tele-Meister

I currently us a 3/4in Freud bit. This would be the third neck I’ve used it on. I usually avoid endgrain but don’t usualy have problems around the straight part of the headstock and the first curve of the headstock. I usually sand it down after that. This time I tore out on the straight part of the headstock. Sent the neck flying into my chest. And I had also used a rasp to get with in 1/16in of the template. I think the big needs sharpened. Last neck turned out great. The bloodwood May have worn it out though.

devrock likes this.
  3. Meteorman

Meteorman Tele-Holic

got the el cheapo ($62) DIY buffing station up and running, except for the flannel wheels which are are en-route from Grizzly.
    it sounds a little coffee grinder-ish - my bearings would complain too if they weren't used for 20+ years.
    I applied as much grease as I could -- I think it'll stay alive for the work I need out of it.
    Pulley calculator says shaft is running at 690 rpm, so a 10" wheel should be making just over 20MPH at the business edge.
    Left about 20" of clearance on the buffing end of the shaft, altho more is available.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  4. gangreen

gangreen Tele-Afflicted

C43BF02F-57C0-4367-8F81-2D9D2A1E1AD2.jpeg 16C224E1-8105-4968-BED8-BE7E9F18C474.jpeg
    Expensive firewood + new neck= playable guitar (with sweet pickups) with no concern for actual value due to repair.

5. eallen

eallen Tele-Afflicted

Went to work on a piece of live edge ambrosia maple today from an area mill. The blank is just long enough for 3 teles, or 2 strats, or strat/tele como. The maple in the 2nd pic will be the back of the guitar with the crouch walnut shown in the 1st pick the from the family farm the top.

The mill's blanks comes rough sawn as 2.125" thick and kiln dried to 6%. They specialize in massive live edge local woods up to 4' wide and 12' long.

A quick run thru the band saw to get one reasonable straight edge before ripping down to 13" on the table saw. Thru the planer mocked up on a sled to get 1 side flat & then to the other side down to 1.75". The fun of rough sawn is seeing what is under the disguise.

It will either be a thinline or chambered like one to get to a manageable weight. Pretty sure it is screaming to be pickguard free.

The last pic is just the mills open display area before walking down the aisles. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Eric

6. tone57

tone57 Tele-Meister

Nice Timber there Eric!

the Makore Marquetry is coming along.
    It now has around 6 coats of Tru-Oil applied in a near French Polish fashion,
    So it is still incredibly thin, but it IS bringing out the chatoyance of the flame quite nicely.
    Will probably be holographic when i get done. I hope.

Tone

Sorry about the glare...

Blue Bill, mrz80, nickhofen and 3 others like this.
  7. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

You made it better than it ever was!

mrz80 likes this.
  8. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Looking sweet!

9. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Mike, it sounded like the motor was smoothing out as it was running. Probably just a mouse mummy bumping around in there...

crazydave911 and Meteorman like this.
  10. tone57

tone57 Tele-Meister

heheheh mouse mummy!

11. Doyledagain

Doyledagain Tele-Meister

So I haven't posted in a while, but I have picked up working a bit lately. Got the neck attached to my first acoustic. That's been a pretty fun learning curve, to say the least. It's harrowing gluing up that neck and hoping it goes on straight. But I think I have it pretty dialed in.

IMG_2178.jpeg

I've also been screwing around with a Shou Sugi Strat that will have a copper pick guard (rough cut version included to show color). I actually like the copper color, but wanted to use this to test out adding patina (pics of that to come!). The idea is kind of stolen from the Crimson Guitars video. But I might go back and also make a straight up copper guard at some point. The only think that drives me nuts about Shou Sugi Ban is that the alligator skin that goes on comes off just as quickly. I wish you could keep that texture. But it would crumble all over you as you play it, best I can tell.

IMG_2143.jpeg IMG_2148.JPG IMG_2150.JPG

Barncaster likes this.
  12. Festus_Hagen

Festus_Hagen Tele-Holic

I picked up one just like this over the weekend. Headstock wasn't broken, but the switch was down inside and a tuner was missing parts. Cost me zero to fix it, and it's a nice player.

13. RiversQC

RiversQC TDPRI Member

Home with a sick toddler today so thought I'd do something useful closeby while paw patrol was on.

I dug out a Squier standard neck I picked up a while back for $20. Someone had attempted to polyurethane (!!!!) the rosewood fretboard. It scraped/lifted off well enough -- better than I feared -- and I didn't make too much of a mess of it. Some lemon oil brought it back to life. I'll give it another go over before using it on a project.

20190319_114901.jpg

20190319_124919.jpg

20190319_132710.jpg

Blue Bill, mrz80, tewiq and 6 others like this.
  14. Red Bread

Red Bread Tele-Meister

I got a neck for a new project
    Can anybody tell me what’s special bout this here maple MIM neck

Attached Files:

15. Mr_Q

Mr_Q Tele-Meister

Welp, it's missing a nut--that's not optimal for play-ability. And it's seriously scalloped. But y'all knew that.

16. Red Bread

Red Bread Tele-Meister

Its got a brass nut coming

Im thinking of finding a blonde teley body and doing a Malmsteen signature telecaster
    Try to get my hands on atlest two of his SD pick ups,,,maybe even a Ferrari sticker on the back

17. Mr_Q

Mr_Q Tele-Meister

MVIMG_20190320_161531.jpeg
    Some assembly required. 8/4 Poplar and some nice hard maple.
    Build thread forthcoming.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

18. Itchyfeet1000

Itchyfeet1000 Tele-Meister

Nothing major on my bench for the last few weeks but I did manage to re-finish my Jazzmaster as I wasn't happy with the existing purple/cream paint. It's now black with a PU gloss, double white bound and a pearl white pickguard. It's a little rough around the edges but I quite like how it looks. A guitar that sounds wonderful but I don't need to be precious about.

IMG_20190320_234246.jpg IMG_20190320_234307.jpg IMG_20190320_234445.jpg

Zepfan, RiversQC, mrz80 and 3 others like this.
  19. mrz80

mrz80 Tele-Meister

'S amazing what a few minutes with steel wool and lemon oil can accomplish... got the fretboard cleaned up and frets polished for my plywood Les Paul project. The neck came from one of those Guitar Fetish container-load factory-closeout sales. Wonder who this neck was made for? :rolleyes: (Hint - it used to say "SG Special" on the patch of headstsock that was still painted)
    IMG_20190320_184343.640.jpg

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    tone57 and Itchyfeet1000 like this.
  20. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Looks great.

Itchyfeet1000 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.