What's on your workbench today?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by guitarbuilder, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Randy Jones

Randy Jones TDPRI Member

Thank you! The back is maple. I used Fiebings alcohol leather dyes: yellow, mahogany, chocolate and black (black mixed with the mahogany as it's blueish on it's own.) Wet with denatured alcohol. Cover with yellow. Burst mahogany. Burst chocolate. Burst black. When blending the bursts sometimes i'd use yellow, other times i'd use clear alcohol. Leather dye seams to only darken to the density of the dye, so adding from the same source will not darken it past the source.

The only challenge i found after scraping the binding is somehow the plastic binding revealed micro cracks now filled with black dye. Didn't notice them before which has me wondering if somehow the alcohol reacted with the plastic. Since this is a $100 saga kit, debating about removing and applying new binding. Probably not.

2. gangreen

gangreen Tele-Afflicted

This 92 Les Paul showed up in the shop. For some reason it was buzzing and not staying in tune. Only thing I could come up with was a non-original nut had been in stalled. Hmmm...

IMG_3384.jpeg

Installing a new nut along with a new neck just in case that was the problem. ;-) And a volute... Ein Volute tut gut, nicht wahr, Helmut?
    IMG_3381.jpeg IMG_3382.jpeg IMG_3383.jpeg

Attached Files:

mistermikev, Zepfan, Asmith and 6 others like this.
  3. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

Absolutely, “ a volute does good” !!!

John Nicholas and gangreen like this.
  4. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Tele-Afflicted

How did you steam the neck off? Did you drill to the bottom of the tenon or go in thru the pickup cavity or just sacrifice the old neck? I had one a few weeks ago that needed the neck removed - I passed because I could only see problems.

5. gangreen

gangreen Tele-Afflicted

Neck was split about half way up. Knew it needed to be removed. Removed the fretboard with a hot putty knife. Chipped out the neck from the mortise. Mortise didn't extend into the pup cavity. So I extended it the last ~1/2". Now it is 3-1/4" long. Made the new neck tenon to fit the 1-1/4" x 1-1/4" x 3-1/4" mortise with the 5* angle. My first experience with a Les Paul and a set neck. I'll have to build a few from scratch now that I have an idea how they go together. Removed the headstock cap from the original neck to use. Beat up but looks good. Backed it with a thin piece of ebony before glueing to the new headstock. My favorite part is the spoke nut truss rod.
    IMG_3388.jpeg IMG_3389.jpeg IMG_3390.jpeg

6. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Sweet; I look forward to your LP build as well as some more pictures on this massive fix. Well done!

TreblaNitram and CraigB like this.
  7. tone57

tone57 Tele-Meister

Wow, Super repairs, that neck was, well, garbage.
    I can't imagine how that damage might have occurred.
    Creating a new neck and all the labor involved probably exceeded the value of a brand new studio model.

But again, kudos on saving it.
    Great job and a much improved neck and probably playability over the original or new. Love that volute.

Tone

John Nicholas likes this.
  8. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Silver Supporter

Actually any repair on a Gibson devalues it from a a similar and used unrepaired one. I have sold numerous repaired ones and I can tell you from experience. On the plus side, you can get an arsenal of Gibsons at 1/3 the price if you can live with the fact that they are repaired. The labor value to fix that guitar is certainly more than the used value it would command.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    tone57 and Zepfan like this.
  9. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Fixed devaluates them?? Gibson is now selling a new LP that comes with a broken and reglued headstock. Pretty soon it's going to become a street cred feature. Hold onto those 1/3 specials!

10. jarpat

jarpat Tele-Meister

Right now I have something curious on my workbench. It is a telecaster, but it has only strings D_G_B_E and then it's got one bass string. Pickups for both and outputs as well. I made it a couple of years ago for a friend, who plays drums with his feet, sings and plays "bass and guitar" - all simultaniously. Unfortunately I don't have a picture now.. This freaky "tele" just needs now it's first "annual maintenace" (after five years?). See him play it:

richa, Jyrki and nnieman like this.
  11. jarpat

jarpat Tele-Meister

Here's a few "before - after" -pictures of some projects I've had.
    b-a1.jpg b-a3.jpg b-a4.jpg

mrz80, eallen, Zepfan and 2 others like this.
  12. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Silver Supporter

Well the initial break devalues them lower than the fixed value. The broken but repaired value is lower than the unbroken used value, which is less than the Like new value.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  13. tone57

tone57 Tele-Meister

Isn't that just called "Extreme Relic" by the "Custom Shop" ?

Tone

14. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

I like your sense of humor. beautiful work.

15. Bugeater281

Bugeater281 Tele-Meister

My router went psycho and decided to rip out a bunch of wood at the headstock. Luckily I was able to shave it down and save it. It’s deffinetly not the stock fender headstock. But i think it looks close. And it looks like it will be a unique neck. One sides dark, one sides light. 3412F726-CB50-4B39-84CC-D05AF055C614.jpeg 21B2E677-9898-4D01-9FE1-DE030BF5123F.jpeg 29ED9091-676D-4AE9-BDEC-A02E4181F2CB.jpeg 6CA99297-1134-4668-9CBF-A0400E0B682D.jpeg

nnieman likes this.
  16. Meteorman

Meteorman Tele-Holic

Presentation1.jpg

richa, nnieman, CraigB and 2 others like this.
  17. devrock

devrock TDPRI Member

Do you use a spiral or straight pattern bit for your router? I've found the spiral bits to be MUCH less prone to tearout, especially at the tip of headstocks.

mrz80 likes this.
  18. SheldonP

SheldonP Tele-Meister

Just whipped this little art deco-ish lapsteel out. Getting ready to send it to its' new home.

IMG_6634.JPG

IMG_6633.JPG

TreblaNitram, eallen and CraigB like this.
  19. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Tele-Afflicted

Had to put the OM on the back burner and clear some other stuff off the bench

IMG_5098.JPG

This sweet little Melody Maker belongs to a friends dad, he wanted me to get it playable but not to change anything that I didn't have to change

IMG_5102.JPG

Cleaned and lightly dressed frets, generally de-gunked the guitar, replaced the pots - they were pretty nasty.

IMG_5097.JPG
    Back to the OM - leveled the frets and dressed the ends

IMG_5108.JPG

Did the head inlay

IMG_5109.JPG

IMG_5111.JPG

IMG_5112.JPG

IMG_5118.JPG

tone57, Mr_Q and I_build_my_own like this.
  20. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

Since you have it apart, why not spline the broken headstock for a permanent repair?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.