What's on your workbench today?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by guitarbuilder, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

I finally got my pedalboard all off my bench. I just finished it along with a 5 loop MIDI-controllable loop switcher. I have built the board and everything on it except for the MS-3, expression pedal, and power supply. I even made some of the cables! All custom made for the things I have and how I wanted to lay it out. It is extremely dense on the effects, with tons of dirt and a little room left over. The board is laid out as follows:

Top Deck:
    Sonic Titan
    KoT
    MIDI-controlled loop switcher
    Dumbloid

Main Deck Under Upper Deck:
    Power Supply
    BE-OD
    Box of Rock
    TWE-1
    Formula 5F6

Main Deck:
    Boss MS-3
    2 button footswitch for MS-3
    Naga Viper
    Expression pedal
    EP boost (not hooked up)

Board is made from maple and a mystery exotic wood I had kicking around. No inside pictures, it's a hideous mess of cables, but that's ok, because I don't hear them :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Snfoilhat, nickhofen, Asmith and 12 others like this.
  2. RiversQC

RiversQC Tele-Meister

I picked up some well-roasted northern White Ash and I'm wondering what to do with it. I mean, beyond a telecaster!

I've got four pieces, each 18" x 7.5" x 7/8" - so I can glue it up top & bottom to get a proper 1.75" blank.

20190225_211630.jpg

What do you think, should I:

...chamber, or even thinline it? It's heavier than swamp ash.

...plan to disguise the side/centre seam with a blackburst? Or a centre strip, like the photo below? Maybe you have other ideas best tackled at the concept stage.

B76A1A42-262D-4227-AF86-4D6849DC1B47-48119-0000150B55950E2F (1).jpg

Here, for comparison, is a scrap piece with some amber shellac on as a sealer before testing it out with dark grain filler -- it adds quite a bit of red, so with whatever finish it'll probably be more rosewood coloured than the current chocolate. Cheers.

20190225_211538.jpg

nickhofen, CraigB, Macrogats and 9 others like this.
  3. Mr_Q

Mr_Q Tele-Meister

4. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

RiversQC likes this.
  5. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Thinline.

Mr_Q and RiversQC like this.
  6. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

@ Mr Q: Yeah I am building a prehistoric RS232 switch which sells on ebay these days for 5 bux including shipping -:D ooops i meant they don’t sell these days. I was actually tempted to buy one of these old switches so I can harvest the chassis - but then canibalized a perfectly working SCSII CD DRIVE that I found in a moving box that I didn’t open since 2001.

This will be for my “optically isolated” breakout board for the ethernet based CNC motion controller. The D25 connectors are a bit more robust than the regular 26 pin headers that the controller comes with.

Barncaster and Mr_Q like this.
  7. mefgames

mefgames Friend of Leo's Double Platinum Supporter

Been wanting to get one of these for quite awhile. Bought the Powertec panels and 4" flange and using just what I had laying around, I made my own for 1/4 of the cost of a ready made. Should be a great addition to the shop.

IMG_7250.jpg

CraigB, 2blue2, Barncaster and 2 others like this.
  8. Zepfan

I got my Green Glitter CBG(AKA-Sprite) out and finally changed the 250k volume pot to 500k. It really made a good difference with these pickups. They have more response and the sound is a lot better. They act like little P90's.

Attached Files:

richa, CraigB, 2blue2 and 1 other person like this.
  9. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's

I love that glitter job, Ohhh Shiny!

Zepfan likes this.
  10. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

11. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Interesting to see this finished.
    So did you build the 5 loop switcher?
    Does one button shot off the previously chosen loop and turn on the new loop?
    Can a hack build one?
    I have a two story board in the works with several pedals in the basement like you built, to be switched in loops, but only have some dual loop switchers and no budget to buy what you seem to have built.
    Curious how it works and what was involved in the build.

12. RedwoodFall

RedwoodFall Tele-Meister

I haven't posted in here in years but I'm planning to build a new guitar soon, so once again, I've been lingering. Thought I'd share a pedalboard I made recently though, just to get back into the spirit of things. Built it over a weekend out of some scrap materials I had kicking around, think I might build another baby version soon too..

[​IMG]
    ---
    [​IMG]
    ---
    [​IMG]
    ---
    [​IMG]
    ---
    [​IMG]

Snfoilhat, nickhofen, Asmith and 10 others like this.
  13. Zepfan

I bought 2 cans of the Green Glitterblast paint for this CBG. I wanted to do a test spray to see how well the paint sprayed and covered. Opened up a can after much shaking and pushed in the button, it stuck depressed and emptied the entire can.:mad: So when it came time to paint I used the other can, but it wasn't quite enough to do a good cover on the back. I concentrated on the top and sides first and then back hoping the button didn't stick like the first can.:lol: I used Glitterblast on my Purple Tele-ish J Bass. The Rust-Oleum glitter paint is even worse when it comes to trying to get good results.;)

2blue2 likes this.
  14. Meteorman

Meteorman Tele-Holic

ooohhhhh like that a lot.
    What's the power supply under the hood ?

15. RedwoodFall

RedwoodFall Tele-Meister

Thanks! I'm just using a couple of cheap Amazon ones at the moment (I think the brand is Nordell), purchased with the idea of upgrading once I had the money but they're actually perfectly fine (plus they each have a 12V and 18V output) so it hasn't happened just yet. This is an under the hood pic, I still need to make custom length power cables but I've been playing around with my pedal order for forever so its a bit messier than I'd like.

[​IMG]

16. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

I did build it. You could program the switches to be exclusive, but I did not. I programmed it so that I could stack multiple loops. I also programmed it to switch based on MIDI to be used with my Boss MS3 to control it. Since the Arduino controls all the relays, you could program it to do whatever.

As for skills needed, it's like the world's nastiest pedal when it comes to wiring up all the jacks, switches, and LED's, but some basic coding skills would be helpful if you want to do anything different. It's not the cheapest build, but I think I got out of it for about $40-50 all told. It does take quite a bit of patience, but I am working on doing a writeup about it and a short video so that I can give back to the DIY community.

17. BluesBlooded

BluesBlooded Friend of Leo's

Lucille ready to be wet sanded

IMAG0981.jpg

18. tone57

tone57 Tele-Meister

19. epizootics

epizootics Tele-Meister

Weew. That's a damn fine back you've got going on here. It is nice to see marquetry being used again these days (notably in handmade furniture)...in lighter touches than it was in the past :)

20. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Wow that just looks fantastic

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.