What's on your workbench today?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by guitarbuilder, Nov 26, 2011.

1. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Friend of Leo's

:oops:

M&M Dispenser.JPG

eallen, guitarbuilder and Barncaster like this.
  2. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

LeftFinger and CraigB like this.
  3. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Tele-Afflicted

I show this simply as a reminder. For many of us in the northern hemisphere its low humidity time. Not outside, it might be snowing like crazy, but we are heating our houses and that dries the air and my skin gets all itchy and I've got a big crack in the end of my thumb and the house plants are wilting.

But the worst part is our guitars get all dried out too. Especially acoustic, which happens to be my love. These two nice Martins passed thru the shop today, both were dry as a bone. Sharp fret ends, buzzy action. The tops are flat (on one) and sunken on the other - it will soon crack down the center seam. The finish is wonky, if you measure the geometry the necks look to be overset.

I shimmed the saddle on one and added a hair of relief - the guy has a gig tomorrow. Both of them got baggie/sponges stuffed inside and another in the case by the head. I told both owners I want them back in 3 or 4 weeks.

Taylor considers under humidifing a guitar "abuse" and doesn't cover it on warranty. Just a reminder

IMG_5028.JPG IMG_5031.JPG IMG_5032.JPG

CraigB, eallen and telemnemonics like this.
  4. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Silver Supporter

We used to mass produce gumball machines. It had about 10 parts that were easy to cut out and sand. At about 125 of them a year, thousands of them got cranked out. Fortunately bulk candy became a thing.

LeftFinger likes this.
  5. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Hey Freeman, what do the baggie/sponges do?

6. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Friend of Leo's

This is a one off It drops 2 m&ms at a time by turning the wheel.
    If I build more I will go back to the slide system.

CraigB likes this.
  7. eallen

eallen Tele-Afflicted

Doing a little shop prep between builds with an articulating dust collctor arm from 1/2" plywood. All my stationary tools are hard piped to the collector with blast gates but I always find myself wanting a hose held in various places that holds for catching more dust and tasks.

It reaches 9' fully extended for its 180+ degrees span. For the swivel I went cheap and just used a 3/4" bolt in the center with large washers between the two plates. A heavy duty lazy susan would be the classy way to go. I originally made it with 3 sections but opted to go with 4 after using it and wanting more flexibility. I had to angle the top arm down a bit to clear some overhead items.

With the upper tightening nut being 9' high I threw together a cam type idea with a short arm attached to a pivoting longer one to lossen and tighten. It only takes about 1/4 turn. I also attached a push pull stick to the blast gate to open and close it.

Eric[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

8. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Tele-Afflicted

They are just a cheap and dirty humidifier. Ideally guitar wood was dried and stored at about 40% RH, the instrument should have been built in approximately that environment. Wet the sponge, squeeze it out, put it in a baggie with holes in it in the case (a fine guitar should always be stored in its case unless your music room is humidified). There are commercial humidifiers but they are somewhat expensive and sometimes rather small - I can afford a sponge and baggie for each of my guitars.

Since these guitars are really dry I'm kind of force feeding them - one sponge inside the guitar, another in the case. With luck in a few weeks the guitars will be more or less back to normal and I can do a real setup on them.

You see all those guitars hanging on a wall in a guitars store? I was told that the HVAC humidifier at my local store puts about 20 gallons of water a day into the air.

Edit to add - I just looked at my hygrometer and weather station. Here in the great PNW there is snow on the ground and the outside RH is 82%. In my house it has fluctuated between 16 and 32 in the last 24 hours. The little Walmart humidifier in my music room has a one gallon reservoir - I fill it daily.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    CraigB likes this.
  9. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

in the Netherlands you could not use the plastic tubes in a professional workshop because of fire risk.
    but i like what you build there

eallen likes this.
  10. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

If everything in a wood shop in the Netherlands has to be fire proof, seems like it would be hard to build anything.

RogerC, nickhofen, eallen and 2 others like this.
  11. Barncaster

Hey Bob, Yes it is definitely important for an extraction system ducting to be properly grounded. Gil went over this in his epic LP thread years ago when he built a new shop. I believe he ran a grounded uninsulated copper wire through all the ducts. Sawdust, given the right conditions can be explosive. Now mandating extraction system can't have plastic components sounds a bit over the top. Maybe that's just me. Rob

LeftFinger likes this.
  12. Barncaster

Deleted duplicate post.

13. mefgames

mefgames Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

That is one crazy Rube Goldberg contraption. That said, I like it a lot !!!

eallen likes this.
  14. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Oh, explosive.......never mind.

CraigB likes this.
  15. Barncaster

Don't get me wrong Nosmo, I like things that go boom but not in my workshop.

CraigB and Asmith like this.
  16. eallen

eallen Tele-Afflicted

I had no idea my articulating arm would SPARK so much discussion!

I have read quite a bit on both side on the need or not need for grounding. A dust collector can definitely build up some static at times. I'm in the camp that it depends on factors and conditions such as run time and dust quantity.

I used to work in a big shop with an industrial dust collector that ran the entire 8 hour shift without being shut down. It pulled enough suction that it had no waste gates and all ports just pulled air at all times. To say it could build up static would be an understatement. The amount of dust it pulled thru was like a grain elevator. We also had five, 2-car garage sized sanding bays each with a 20' cyclone dust collection wall. It was all heavily grounded needless to say. Many regulations are set up with commercial volumes in mind.

In my experience, a small shop like mine with a collector that only comes on when a tool is turned on, and small amounts of dust comparably, static discharge is not much of an issue. It is still no doubt a potential to be aware of.

As far as not using plastic in a professional shop in the Netherlands, not many accuse my shop or me being in it of being very professional.

Eric

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Barncaster and Treadplatedual like this.
  17. Itchyfeet1000

Itchyfeet1000 Tele-Meister

After much debating I decided to change the colours of my Jazzmaster-esque build. So it's now en route to being black with double while binding and pearl white pickguard.

IMG_20190223_000122.jpg

nickhofen, 2blue2 and eallen like this.
  18. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

it has to do that when you saw wood some splinters/chips can start to burn ore smoulder, they are pulled in the pipes were other chips/sawdust can build up at some places ore in the dust bag en can start a fire there.
    when fire would start in a tube made of plastic, it will melt and pieces of fire fall in the workshop and the fire will spread.

safety is a big item here were it concerns professional industry.
    wearing and using protection, etc.

eallen likes this.
  19. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Finally finished building my pickup winder. I’ll get to winding my first pickup next week.

9C96D659-A039-4933-8B69-6BDE9A34B8F5.jpeg

richa, nickhofen, RiversQC and 8 others like this.
  20. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Friend of Leo's

Mat, that looks fabulous!!

What kind of wood is it mounted too??

Mat UK likes this.
  21. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Wow, just wow!
    Did you see a setup like this or did it just pop into your head?
    Does it grab the dust off the top of the table saw blade well enough to be worth the (minor) sight impediment?
    I assume you're collecting off the saw base at the same time, seems like a challenge but worth it if you can make it work, since you have a lot of small items that would quickly be buried in dust.
    Tough to run a small workshop, I tarped around the table saw area so only less clean stuff gets dusted, with the collector only pulling from the saw base.
    I suppose I could set up a simpler hanging hose system just over the table saw if my collector could manage the two points.
    Very cool and I suspect challenging to really dial in so it goes and stays where you put it!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.