What's on your workbench today?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by guitarbuilder, Nov 26, 2011.

1. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

about as far as I can go until parts arrive.... I'll hang it to dry until then in a warm place.....

to seal the wood, I flood it with shellac. I just keep slopping/brushing it on until the soft grain sucks in as much as it needs, let it dry a bit then do it again a few times ...no messing around trying for a finish....... next time it gets flat sanded the softer grain lines won't scallop out as much and give the surface a solid base...

tele bass body sanded.jpg

shellac2.jpg

shellac body.jpg

2. RedHills

RedHills Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Buddy run across an old Remington 511x ....like I have nutn else to do, first coat of tru oil. I'll be workn on it all week!

It is one of the prettier walnut stocks I've seen under em. I think a 1965

Attached Files:

esetter, eallen, Zepfan and 4 others like this.
  3. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Making a rosewood trussrod cover plate for my current project.

IMG_20190113_162906_136.jpg

4. Itchyfeet1000

Itchyfeet1000 Tele-Meister

Three spalted beech Tele bodies, cut from locally grown timber. I'm starting chambering the first one this evening. It'll be a thinline with Wilkinson half bridge and soap bar P90s. All the bodies will be finished with epoxy to protect and preserve the character of the wood.

IMG_20190114_102738.jpg IMG_20190114_120743.jpg IMG_20190114_120757.jpg IMG_20190114_222411.jpg

eallen, nickhofen, zippofan and 10 others like this.
  5. Mahogany

Mahogany TDPRI Member

Call out to Mark Grant. Check your messages.

He hasn't been around for a few months.
    If anyone is in contact with him outside the board please ask him to check in.

I put this in this thread because of his posts here - most pertinent.

6. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

Spruce tele body

Attached Files:

TreblaNitram and Itchyfeet1000 like this.
  7. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

No ON the workbench, but currently under it....stickered and weighted. Cut down a dead olive tree a couple weekends before and had it slabbed. Got a few decent-sizes slabs and some burled 'cookies'. Will probably end up as small tables. image-44.jpg image-43.jpg image-45.jpg image-46.jpg

8. Itchyfeet1000

Did some chambering this evening. This body is down to 6 pounds now. I can live with that.

IMG_20190116_005606.jpg

nickhofen, darkforce, Mat UK and 3 others like this.
  9. LuckyJinx

LuckyJinx TDPRI Member

A question for experienced builders: when doing that sort of route, is it generally safe to leave large voids and trust the pickguard material to be stiff enough to not sag into the gap under the pressure of picking, or is it safer to leave a plinth somewhere in the middle for support?

I expect it's perfectly ok to hog out the whole thing, but I saw somewhere a guitar where the pg had sort of curled as it aged (probably some sort of old material that has no relation to what is used now and was probably the wrong choice then).

10. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Silver Supporter

I usually rout what most people see in examples by Warmoth. The only pickguard I've experienced any weirdness with is my Monterey ll and that just could have used one more screw up above the bridge pickup, to keep that edge down better. This guitar has a fairly large swimming pool rout. Old celluloid pickguards tend to shrink and break at the screws.

monterey.jpg

11. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

Woe. That's gorgeous. What sort of wood?

Beautiful...!!!

12. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Tele-Afflicted

For what it is worth, I would not have routed out the top that way, I would have come in from the back or done a two piece body. Any time I have highly figured wood I try to maximize the amount that is on display - you won't find pick guards on my guitars for that reason unless the player absolutely requires one.

Just me, other people will do things completely differently.

13. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Putting large pickguards on those bodies could be considered a crime.:eek: They look too good to be covered up, I would think of a rear route for those bodies.:cool:

Guess I'm too late now.

Itchyfeet1000 likes this.
  14. Itchyfeet1000

Only one has been routed so far. They definitely need some weight reduction. I may go for a rear route on the others.

Zepfan likes this.
  15. guitarbuilder

I uncovered a stash of guitar pix from my early years. This one is noteworthy. It was called " suede" and built for Nuno Bettencourt in 1991 and you can see him play it in the Hip Today Video. That's me and my friend Bill ( Bill has the long hair) at his house before we delivered it to the Extreme concert at Darien Lake that night. I had a photo of the band and I at the M&G but haven't a clue where that is today. Washburn insisted that their neck got put on it. :(.

hip today guitar for nuno 1991.jpg

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  16. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

That's outstanding, Marty!! You've got to fill us in on the story. How did you get hooked up with him??

17. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Argh, I'm too late! I saw that first post and was scrolling down to implore you not to use that big pickguard over that beautiful spalted top, especially singe it's getting P90s apparently and wouldn't really need one at all.
    But in the second post I note the issue of the weight. Yeah, if all that routing only got it down to 6 pounds I see your point. It'll be really nice either way - good luck.
    Rex

18. guitarbuilder

It's not really a story for the internet. I just did the woodwork for my friend who handled it all.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    RogerC likes this.
  19. RedHills

RedHills Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Turkey calls...friction top pot calls. These are slate

They can be an obsession like guitars!

Luckily they take up very little space, 3.75" diameter

Stabilized/dyed maple burl and Redgum

Attached Files:

20. betocool

betocool Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Question to y'all experienced router users. I bought this 1/2" router quite a while back, very happy with it. But first thing I noticed, as opposed to my former el-cheapo 1/4" router is that it takes me a while to hammer out the routing bit, Lemme show you:
    IMG20190116182041.jpg

See the shape of the holder and the bit as well? Well, once they are in, it works perfectly fine and does not slip, which is what I want. But to take it out, I have to grab a wood stick and start hammering the bit out gently. I usually rub some oil on the shaft, but still once the bit is screwed it, it just stays put.

On this particular bit it's not a problem really, but on smaller bits, I have little to no hold to hammer the bit out.

You guys experience this at all? Any other methods you'd like to share? I thought this didn't warrant its own thread, and well, it was on my workbench!

Cheers,

Alberto

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.