1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What's on your workbench today?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by guitarbuilder, Nov 26, 2011.

1. nickhofen

nickhofen Friend of Leo's

My super charged pickup winder machine will wind it at no time Rick!!!! And then of course I will have to cut the coil and re winded a couple of time before I make it almost acceptable!:D

2. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Got to get some Ronald McDonalds under your belt before you can claim to be an expert pickup winder, Nick! Think of how many clown wigs Seymour Duncan must have made in his career!

3. Mbechmann

Mbechmann Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Today was a bad that turned into something awesome.

My health (astma) was causing problems due to the weather. So I wasnt doing that well.

Thats when a friend of mine send me a messege on Facebook. The guitar I donated to the church in Dublin, that he was setting up and it is now complete.

The bridge pickup has the Tele sound and the neck pickup is a p90. Its connected out of phase so in the middle possition it sounds a lot different from anything I have ever heard. Running it through a distortion... Wow it blew me away. That is something else.

He send me a video of it (I will post it as soon as I can). Right now its posted as Private video so I cant share it just yet :)

So technically its not my workbench... :) But man what a great feeling knowing this guitar is in the right hands. Thats exactly why I love building instruments.

Tree of Life.JPG

Barncaster, nickhofen, RogerC and 2 others like this.
  4. R. Stratenstein

That's great, Michael. Something really positive to brighten up your day. Hope your asthma's doing better. I really like P-90's in Teles. Looking forward to seeing (hearing) the video!

PS, Is your friend in Dublin related to Dan Erlewine? No wonder his set up is so good! LOL

Mbechmann likes this.
  5. gangreen

gangreen Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

Experimenting with lacrosse shafts. On the left is white oak and Walnut. On the right is white oak with a half inch aluminum tube core. We'll see how they hold up.

GunsOfBrixton and Mbechmann like this.
  6. GunsOfBrixton

GunsOfBrixton Tele-Afflicted

For your personal use? how did you make the one with the aluminum tube?

7. gangreen

gangreen Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

For my son. Made him a wooden shaft last year and it worked and held up well. He had some ideas for other things including the aluminum tube core and a different shape face-off stick which we did on these two.

Started with inch and a quarter white oak. Bandsaw down the middle, planed the surfaces, used a 1/2 inch diameter round nose bit to route a channel in each half. Aluminum tube outside diameter was 0.55 inches so we routed one channel, moved the router fence a hair and routed again until we had the channel wide enough for the aluminum. Then used gorilla glue to stick the whole mess together.

nickhofen and GunsOfBrixton like this.
  8. GunsOfBrixton

GunsOfBrixton Tele-Afflicted

Nice. My youngest son started playing this year. (16 years old). He did pretty well. He is a face off guy, even made it onto the varsity team. He is also a wrestler which seems to be a trait among the FOGO's.

9. gangreen

gangreen Tele-Afflicted

I've never played lacrosse except with my kids. Didn't have sports like that out in the sticks when I was in school. However, I wrestled many years and can see how being the face off guy and a wrestler would be s good combo.

10. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Refretting the Kay K-310.
    [​IMG]
    After leveling the board and refretting with Jescar 47104 Evo to 12" radius, only 2 small spots need leveling. Dressed the fretboard through the grits to 600. Had a few small tear outs but all in all it plays beautifully now. [emoji41]
    Rob

11. R. Stratenstein

Looks good, Rob..Did you heat up the frets with a soldering iron or something to help get them out? Looks pretty clean.

12. OpenG Capo4

OpenG Capo4 Friend of Leo's

Nice work Rob. Very similar to the Silvertone Bobkat I am working on. I am about to do the leveling and crowning and I can't wait to hear it with real frets and a playable setup, haha!

13. OpenG Capo4

OpenG Capo4 Friend of Leo's

I used a soldering iron to heat the frets on the silvertone. I have a hakko style with removable tips so I used the biggest one. Some green goo would bubble up from the fret slot when it was hot so I assume it was some kind of glue.

14. Barncaster

Disclaimer: I've never refretted a guitar before. Just watched a Stew Mac tutorial and jumped. I used the Stew Mac fret pliers. A very good tool! Each fret was heated with my 20 watt soldering iron until hot. I then worked the pliers in slowly from one end of the fret to the other. This made for the cleanest extractions. Getting one end up and pulling the fret away from the board like a lever is guaranteed to give all kinds of tear out. Don't ask me how I know this.

Another thing I learned was that this guitar has rolled edges on the fretboard which essentially gives you a compound radius across the board. The overall radius is 12" but with the rolling, there is a little fall away at the ends. The frets I bought were cut to 2" lengths and pre-radiused. I found if I centered the fret and fully seated it with a plastic dead blow hammer working from center to edges, that the excess end lengths allowed sufficient leverage to seat the frets fully into the rolled edges. Only two got away from me and were fixed with a little dressing. While not visually perfect, they are functionally.

Used Titebond hide glue in the slots. The Jescar 43104 frets have very minimal barbing on the tangs and measured close to the frets extracted so I didn't file the tangs. This worked dimensionally as no back bow resulted. The original brass frets were something like .030" tall by .090" wide with very rough finish. The Jescar was the closest I could find and figured the extra width could help to hide any booboos.

The combination of the rosewood fretboard leveled and sanded to 600 grit along with the very SS feeling Jescar EVOs has put the guitar into the total realm of a real player. I can't say enough about the pickup. It's a little beast. Also, the EVO frets are brass colored like the originals which is a plus.

Completely disassembled the tuners and removed the light coating of bees wax which I originally thought would be good long term on the posts. Didn't work. Cleaned with mineral spirits and lubed all contact surface with BOEING Boeshield. If it's good enough for a jet it's good enough for a 50 year old Kay! The tuners work remarkably well now. Almost passable! I'll try to make a video. We have an exchange student living with us now so time is very tight. Stay tuned.
    Rob

15. Barncaster

And the broken children keep coming. An old Thin Twin pickup.
    [​IMG]
    Rob

16. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I was given this donation guitar to use with my school band by a staff member yesterday...... my first look at an SX strat...

I don't know if this is the stock neck pocket routing or someone has had a go at it.... it felt like it was the first time the neck had been taken off... ugly!..

maybe someone fitted an SX neck to another body?...

I needed to clean out the pocket with a chisel to flatten it, then shim it up a bit to get the action low.....

a clean/polish and new strings it plays/sounds OK now.... the kids won't care what's under the hood.....;)

SX neck pocket.jpg SX1.JPG SX3.JPG SX4.JPG SX5.JPG

17. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

My personal Studio Faded Cherry that I ended up refinishing a couple of years ago. Gratuitous shot here...

[​IMG]

18. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

image.jpeg I think I got this entire scalloped neck thing wrong :D Need to do more research....

Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
  19. 017_017

017_017 Friend of Leo's

I'm hoping to start on this in the next few weeks...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
    nickhofen and bullfrogblues like this.
  20. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Tele-Afflicted

A gi-normous hairball :(

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.